Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 03-20-2002, 03:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Loss Leaders?

I have heard loss leaders mentioned several times in the frugal areas. Can you please explain to me what a loss leader is?

I have to find the Aldi's store around me too, it sounds like you can get some great deals there.

Thanks

Jackied
Old 03-20-2002, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

A "Loss Leader" is a super low priced advertised weekly special at your grocery (or other) store. Stores sometimes will offer a few items at below wholesale cost to get people into the store, where they hope you will pick up many other items that are not on sale while you are there. For instance, if Ragu Spagetti sauce is normally $2.29 for the large jar, and it is advertised at 99 cents, that is a loss leader. I buy almost all of our groceries at loss leader prices. That is where having a stocked pantry is helpful. It also helps to know how often your pantry items go on sale (keeping a price book helps). If you know that tuna goes on sale for .29 a can (during Lent), then buy a supply to last six months or a year. When you get down to your last 5 or 6 cans, start watching for another sale. This way, when you run out of say, sugar, rather than having to buy it at the regular price of $1.89 a 4 lb. bag, you go to your pantry and get out one of the bags you stocked up on when it was on sale for .88 a bag.

It took me about six months of stocking up on loss leaders when I had a few extra dollars, to really get this system going, but it sure does pay off. I used to spend $85 to $100 a week for food, now that total is $45 to $50 a week, and we actually eat better.

Deb
Old 03-30-2002, 06:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just started keeping track of grocery costs a few months ago. When you write it in a log each time you buy some food it's so easy to see it adding up. This month I have only spent $277.16, last month I did a lot of stocking up and spent $380.12. There are only 3 of us so I should be able to get it down more.
Old 04-03-2002, 01:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have tried before to keep track of my grocery spending but I am totally at loss with how to even keep up with keeping track on my grocery spending to begin to save my family money every week or every month!!
I hope I can gain some insite from this post!!
Thank you all for posting this post for us all!!

My FC Member Awards!
<HR width="95%" color=green height="3">

Hey, I won!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi - I'm new to this forum, am on the Coupon Chat3 one and the one what did you do frugal today?
I do keep track of what I spend on groceries, started doing that last February. For 2008, I purchased $4,800 in food and spent $1,200. I am single, get free cat and dog food for friends, which is included in my total purchased and help my church food pantry as well as senior friends. In January 2009, a local store started doing triple coupons one weekend a month. In January I purchased $1,300 in groceries and paid $300. In March, I purchased $300 in groceries on the 3 day Triple Coupon Weekend, paid $38.40.
I do have a good pantry in my garage, use the nice shelves along the wall that a renter installed for his use any years ago. They sure are coming in handy.
Although I've not eaten canned soup in years, Campbells came out with one that is low sodium, low fat, no MSG. It retails for $2.34 a can, but I bought it on sale (B0G1F) and they doubled my coupon. I paid $.50 a can, so I have a great stock of that. All the mustard and sour cream I have was bought with coupons which brought down the price to FREE. I do love free things.
Five years ago, I started using coupons in a big way and have learned more and more each day about them. One of my male friends said, "You have it down to a science now, don't you?" I had to agree that I think I do.
Some of the coupons I don't use are diaper coupons, so they do to young parents, grandmothers and great-grandmothers bringing up babies.
This month, I started a coupon box at church, letting the congregation know how much I use coupons, that I can get food free or almost free and if they give me the coupons they don't use, I will help our church food pantry more tha I already do. This week, I got an armload full of coupons. I was a "Happy Camper"!
Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I know that we have some ladies here in our forums that could give us some great advice on this subject.

Anyone up for the challenge?

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Nine Year Member

I think the biggest thing is to have a stocked pantry and make a running list, maybe on those erasable whiteboards, of what you have on hand. From there, you watch the sales fliers and instore. I always budget on how much I will spend for the month. For my family of four..I spend about $80 a week. I also supliment our budget by getting a Angel Food ministry box. This is included in my $320 budgeted for the month.

I plan my meals for a week at a time. Do this depending on your family needs. When I was a SAHM, I shopped twice a month and planned the same way. If I saved money off my grocery bill, that is put into savings for vacation or a special family outing.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Bernice, those are great tips. Thanks!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I continue to keep track of my groceries on my Word Pad. Today, I purchased $67 in groceries for $11. Here's what I bought. We have more than one of each store in my city. I make a round trip going to the store on my side of town, then the one on the other side of town. Each has different merchandise, one not having the size Tide I want to buy, and the other not having the brand of paper products I want to buy. I've been saving the Pringles or single serving coupons for a lady who makes up Snack Packs for the kids who get treatment at Shriner's Hospital in Greenville, SC. Today, I decided I'd just get the Pringles while I was at the store since I had the coupons which made them free. Publix doubles coupons up to $.50, Bi-Lo doubles coupons up to $.60 (no limit) and Ingles doubled 3 coupons for every $10. Wal-Mart does not double coupons.

2/13 - Ingles - Purchased $24.48 - Pd. $2.10 - # Items 23
(19) Pringles small can $.50, $50/1 coupon and $.50/2 coupons
(4) Tide $3.48, $3/1 coupon

2/13 - Ingles - Purchased $12.69 - - Pd. $1.29 # items 12
(2) Tide $3.48, $3/1 coupon, (10) Pringles small can. $.50/1 coupon and $.50/2 coupon

2/13 - Publix - Purchased $4- Pd $1.34
(2) Nestle Coffeemate French Vanilla Liquid creamer - $2, sale $3/5, $.50/1 coupon

2/13 - Wal-mart - Purchased $16.40 - Paid $6.40 - # Items 10
(10) Huggies Baby Wipes refills $1.64, $1/1 coupon

2/13 - Bi-Lo - Purchased $7.98 - Paid $0- # Items 2
(2) Chef Michael's Purina Dog Food, 1 1/2 lbs., $3.99, B0G1F, $2 coupon on each = FREE
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am really bad at keeping up w this...