Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-13-2002, 08:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Do you ever get obsessed with saving money at the grocery store?

I was just wondering to you ever get like this? I do I have a well stocked pantry and a freezer and kitchen. But i always feel that i have to go out every weekend and search for good deals. I get the sales papers every week and i ponder on what i want instead of what i need. I have 10.00 set aside every week for stock items only. This week well we had mac n cheese 4/1.00 i got 12 boxes ( the kraft good kind) 3.00 i then took the the other 7.00 and got reduced beef steaks, stew beef and sausages. And i really did not need it i just wanted it because it was a GOOD DEAL. And if i cant find a good sale on food items i will hit the pharmacy around here and get discounted soap and shampoo and hairsray, I have enough in my bathroom to last a year just in health and beauty aids. Toleit paper well i have got at last count 144 rolls. I am stock to the gills, my family just laugh at me UNTIL i start pointing out prices. And then they are amazed My spare bedroom looks like a mini-walmart and all of the stuff was bought for alway next to nothing. Meat is the same way I can't tell you the last time that i paid full price for it. We eat a good variety of meat pork beef and chicken fish. The only thing i really pay full price for is luncheon meat and that is something i will never go cheap on. Bread i will go to the outlet store. I just need to know who also does this kind of thing. I can actually tell you how much i have i keep a inventory of everything that i have. And if i am low and low to me is having 1 1/2 packages of something i start search for it because i dont want to pay full price for it. And i have a veggie night also at my house and i will try to squeze 2 on them if i can. And i pack lunches,.My family calls me extreme and tightwad and i just laugh but they always want my advice and they will call me on the phone and want to know if it is a good price or not.
Old 04-14-2002, 07:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You are a goddess! I hope someday I will be like you--I am on the right track though. I've been living frugally in the food dept. now for a month or so. I have cut our food bill drastically! I'm very proud of that. I've always been pretty "cheap"--buying things always on clearance and stocking up when I can. I think it's a fun challenge.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:07 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Overkill worry?

;-) I think what you are doing is marvelous. I have worried about this myself and I am just starting. I think I am nervous because I'm not used to buying so much stuff--I'm used to running to the store when we run out.

I think you have a great idea of a $10.00 limit to spend on stock up stuff. I will keep that in mind when I have closer to a mini WalMart in my spare closet.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

MY DREAM IS TO BE LIKE YOU.I TRY AND TRY.AND I WILL KEEP ON TRYING.IT'S GOOD TO KNOW I'M NOT ALONE.NO ONE LIKES TO GO SHOPPING WITH ME ANY MORE.THEY ALL THINK I'M CHEAP.
THANK YOU.
Old 04-14-2002, 08:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stocking up & a couple of ideas

I stock up too! I have an entire shelving unit I built in the garage to take the place of my "pantry" (I ran out of room). I keep a price book for common purchases and keep it updated. It includes size and how much per ounce or pound the store's normal prices are. That way if something goes on sale at another store I can tell if it really is a good price. Something else I track is how often those items go on sale. Some items go on sale regularly others less often so I stock a little less of the items that are commonly on sale. We are lucky - in my town there are 3 grocery stores on the same side of the street, one on each block for 3 blocks right in a row.

Every week I get the sale ads, my price book and my coupons out. I cut out every coupon that I come across. With sales and rebates the name brands are sometimes cheaper than the generic. And if I don't use them - they just go in the recycle bin!

As for buying to much? Well, I'm not sure if that is possible. What I do with some things I buy - deodorant, soap, shampoo, etc. is purposely buy to much. Rite Aid - a chain in the NW - has a rebate program. I get the monthly rebate list then at some point during that month it goes on sale. I use a coupon, buy it on sale and get my rebate. Often times the rebate is full sale purchase price. I typically pay 50 cents for brand name deodorant and toothpastes or even free. I take the excess to the Veteran's Hospital in Seattle and they give them out to homeless veteran's. When cans of vegies are on sale for 4 for $1 I stock up and donate to the food programs. Same with school supplies. I'll buy at Costco and then fill a couple of backpacks according to a school supply list that a local group and the schools put together. They supply the backpacks, you fill them, give them back and they get given to families that qualify because they can't afford to purchase the supplies themselves. It's fun, I'm doing something to help and when I find things like 70 sheet spiral bound notebooks at 10 cents a piece I stock up!!

My husband used to say that I stock to much. But he loves the fact that he never has to run to the store for something that we don't have while I am cooking :p He has come to realize that me stocking up and constantly watching for deals is the reason we are getting out of debt, own our house and he finally got to get a little 14 foot fishing boat with trailer. We couldn't afford the $2000 without trailer he was planning on. That would have made it $2500. So I found a fixer upper for $500 with trailer and the fixing up only cost us $275 and a lot of elbow grease! We had a lot of fun hunting down bargains on the materials we used and doing the fixing up. And now we have a little side business of getting and fixing up boats for about a total of $700-800 each and selling them for around $2500 each. We use the profit to buy the next boat and what is left over goes to pay down another bill. And we have a lot of fun and get exercise. Now he even hunts for deals and stocks up Or he asks me to keep an eye out for certain things. Now he even makes his own fishing lures because it is cheaper.

Okay - enough! I have rattled on long enough. Especially for a first post! If anyone would like to exchange other ideas feel free to email me at [email protected]. I promise the emails won't be so long!

Thanks for listening! Erica
Old 04-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Way to go irissa! Great ideas and inspirations, I especially love the filling of the backpack idea. I dream of the time I (and my family) will be able to go to the stockpile and know that yes we have soap or bread or cereal or toilet paper or. . . .
Old 04-16-2002, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi! I'm new here, but immediately felt I had to respond to this topic. I too have the kitchen, freezer, linen closet(now pantry), and rows of shelves in my bedroom full of groceries and health and beauty items, mostly groceries. People thought I was rather obsessed: each week I get the flyers for all the stores, check my large coupon box and see what I can get really cheap. But there's one benefit no one's mentioned yet: I was hospitalized before Christmas 2001 and when I came out, was in no shape to go anywhere. My kids and I were able to survive in style for six weeks before we made a sizable dent in my stocks, and I finally felt up to shopping again. You never know what life will bring you - hopefully good to you all! - but I was very grateful for the mini-Walmart in my apartment!
Barb Turner
Old 04-16-2002, 02:40 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Welcome Barb and Irissa. I'm a newbie, too, but this place is definitely starting to feel like home ;-) I can't wait until I am THAT stocked up. We stock up a few things, but I am nearly out of tp as we speak.

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-17-2002, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

TERRIFIC JOB!

In my opinion, you're doing a fantastic job of managing your resources and you're the head of the class in stocking! I applaud you!!

Don't let you family members or friends discourage you from what you are doing. Yes, you may join in occasionally with a laugh at your own expense but as long as you feel GOOD about what you are doing, then you are on the right track!!

When we lived in a much bigger house years ago, I had my dh build a very large and heavy duty shelving area the entire length of one short wall in the basement for my "extra" pantry. Over time, it was filled to capacity with stocking items all purchased on discount/clearance/on sale. It was wonderful to know it was down there for my own peace of mind, but even better, it was a gift from God when my best friend was fired on the spot from her top level management job with no severence package, and she had no food. And I mean NO food backlog. I dragged her downstairs and even though she protested about taking any, I made her do it. Jars of pasta sauce, coffee, boxes of pasta, tp, tomato sauce, soap, canned vegetables, shampoos, trash bags, you name it. We made up quite a few bags of "goodies" for her to take home, and I know that it helped make her transition a little easier.

I don't stockpile nearly as much as I used to because it is just the two of us now, but I personally enjoyed those days very much. And I delight in knowing others are still doing it!! You are being VERY wise because you never know when you will need it or have the opportunity to help someone else.

Way to go, gals!!!

Sandie
Old 04-17-2002, 07:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Food Storage

I have been keeping a mini store in my home for years. A friend got me started after seeing what she called her "Mormon Closet". She would buy things she saw that could be used as gifts by her children when they went to a friend's birthday party. Her children were allowed to shop from the closet. She had crayons, $10 toys, etc. plus birthday cards. All of which she bought on sale. I have found that my biggest problem with food storage is trying to keep track of rotation... When should things be used by and where did I put them. We live in a smallish house and there is NO extra storage. I have stuff in closets under the clothes or off to the side of my youngest's closet--he doesn't have much to hang. I keep 3 list (which is difficult) List 1 is what I have stored--with location and date of expiration. List 2 is date of expiration--with location. List 3 is what is in each box. About once a year I have to check List 3 against what I really have.
By keeping List 1, I know what I am short on when it is on sale. List 2 lets me use it on time. Good luck. It takes time, but saves lots of trips to town (20 miles one way for me).
A couple of winters ago, I had to work during a snowstorm and couldn't get home. When I was able to come home I called and asked what the family needed from the store--"Tortillas". It pays off.
Di