Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-05-2015, 04:26 AM
Nine Year Member

Yes I'm obsessed with saving money and not just at the grocery!

I have found there is a fine line between being well stocked and hording. I have 3-12 months on most canned/boxed goods and paper/cleaning supplies.

I do go through periods where I refuse to look at the drug store/grocery ads because we don't need anything but fresh fruits/veggies, milk, bread. No more room to store things so why look and get bummed think I'm missing out on a great deal.

Roberta
Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been saving more money with the coupon rebate apps the past 2 months. I'm real excited to see what my year total will be.

http://www.familycorner.com/forums/f...sing-them.html

Roberta
Old 04-05-2015, 10:55 AM

Good afternoon all!!

Yes, I too can become obsessed. Knowing that I have very limited resources to purchase items these day, I try to have "enough". Sometimes it is hard to decide how much constitutes "enough" for me. Everyone's "enough" is different.

I have about a year's worth of non-perishable health and beauty items, mostly less than $1 each, and quite a few free after coupons being matched with sales.

My upright freezer is stocked with meats and frozen veggies and the only pantry unit I have is always full.

My savings from not buying laundry detergent (I make my own) can be used for purchasing more healthy items, maybe even a convenience item or two.

Take care all!! Norma
Old 04-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Nine Year Member

I used to be and now have decided to simplify by using fewer disposable items and gleaning health and beauty items from basic ingredients...Pinterest has been a great resource for how to...do almost anything from what's on hand...when all my house stockpile is used I can then start thinking about shopping...but this time with a critical mindset as MMP pointed out...we do try to keep six months of supplies on hand, that gets us from the end of the warm season through the cold season...now I don't drive my daughters batty at the store anymore with shopping as we just don't 'need' so much anymore...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member

Now that Dh is not driving anymore I only grocery shop every ten days unless I see a good buy. I try not to buy new furniture or remodel on impulse now that I am older. Some say you should keep upgrading your house to keep with the times, but I am comfortable the way everything is. My greatest joy is working outside and buying any plant that my heart desires. As long as I can be outside in the fresh air and have a spot to relax quietly that is all I need right now. My Dh knows that I am taking care of him and does not have to spend his last days in a nursing home so he is content too. We planned for our retirement by moving to Florida twenty five years ago so think we are doing pretty good.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Hi all did not know this thread
existed thanks to the newsletter I found it.
I stock up on "kleenex" (not that brand) and TP main reason
is I go thro' a lot of kleenex and for just 2 people we use
a LOT of TP. I had Kent get me a 16 pk (small boxes) of
Costco brand kleenex and 30 pk of their TP that was at
beginning of March we have 18 rolls of TP left and they
are BIG rolls too. I still have majority of my kleenex left
since I am the only one who uses it. I also try to stock
up on clothes washing soap in case comes a month I really
don't have it to buy and we for sure need it as I want clean
clothes. I still have lots of canned goods and use them according
to exp dates. I have not bought that much of can stuff for
several months now
Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member

I was super excited to be able to get 4) 15oz Walgreen baby formula and 2) 50ct diapers for $10.07 plus tax after sale & coupons.

Roberta
Old 08-10-2015, 03:05 PM
Forum Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that this is an awesome thing. I know I search for the sales just about each and every week. When you start saving money you do not want to pay full price any longer. I know I was excited when I got full boxes of pasta for 19 cents at Kroger. And, when school started back I got packs of paper, pens, and pencils for free. $100 worth of stuff!