Do you ever get obsessed with saving money at the grocery store? - Page 5 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-19-2002, 07:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Way to go thanks for telling me about the good Deals at Eckerds this week I will ....

Way to go thanks for telling me about the good Deals at Eckerds this week I will have to go check it out!!

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 06-20-2002, 06:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky i found a great deal on chicken

I found a great deal on whole chickens the other day they were marked down from about 3.00 to 1.30 apieace so i got 6 of them and cut up and put them in the freezer. My MIL was with me and she tried to talk me out of getting them because they were marked down. She told me they were probly rotten the date on them was good for another 3 days. I was really low on chicken anyway so i got it all up. Strange thing is when i grilled them out and put homemade BBQ sauce on them she didn't turn it down then. I reminder her about telling not to buy them and she said that next time she would give it a try and freeze it like i did. What do you know another bargain hunter in the making.
Old 06-20-2002, 06:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-07-2002, 05:30 PM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chuckle OBSESSED ?? WHO ~ ME ??

I stumbled onto this "Most Delightful Thread" by just surfing. I am so pleased, Sue Witt, for your introducing it. I've read every reply, and can't tell you just how it makes me feel, to know there are others like myself. All the years of working and raising three children, I had to come up with some way of us all existing ~ this was the way. We didn't "want" for anything ... it was always stock piled in the basement. Plus, on the ping pong table were boxes of files, containing the refund/rebate items. My two daughters grew up with this being "normal", and to this day, they both continue to be "obsessed". My son, well what can I say??? ~ ~ that he's a typical male. Likes the results, but would rather have someone else do the work. Now,,,,,,, when it comes to coupons.....we had regular days when we would sit down, cut ALL out, sort them, file the ones we used, or might use, then put the remainder into a container which was given to the church for anyone to take. I never have, and never will throw a coupon out. It may be just the one someone else would need. Even my days now, of living alone, I still maintain my pantry. I live on a fixed income, due to now being disabled, but there are so many useful and enjoyable things that can be done with these items. I make up Christmas pkgs. containing grooming products for people in the nearby nursing homes, and deliver them. Their bright smiles and tears are all that I need for a thank you. The food banks get alot of my donations. Plus my grandchildren benefit from this by getting and by learning how to give. I praise all of you that are doing, and or learning how wonderful a feeling it is to go that extra step to enlighten someone's life, or like I, in the beginning, to keep you and your family afloat. Just recently, another member and I got our heads together, and would like to begin a manufacturer coupon swap club. NO COST... only your own postage stamps. The thread is under Idle Chit Chat ~ "coupons anyone?". If any of you might be interested, please surf over there, and let me know. We would love to help one another. Sooooooo ... after this long winded reply, I'll just say. Keep On Being "OBSESSED"!!

Carol Ann
autumnmum 2002
Old 07-22-2002, 06:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

It is just smart to stock up!

I was off sick for a year and it helped so much that I had a cupboard full of toothpaste, soap, spag sauce, pasta etc. It really made a huge difference in surviving. Remember rainy days come so you should always try to be prepared!

People USED to laugh at me for being frugal. That is until I bought my dream home, paid off my car and put money away! Now I have the last laugh!
Old 07-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Amen Shell!

I have a wall in my garage for all of my stock up items. Plus the pantry in the kitchen, the spare room and the linen closet!

Every year, at 4th of July, I take half of my stock and donate it to our local soup kitchen, womens shelter and homeless shelter. We do it then, because everyone remembers to doante at the holidays, but people need to eat year round.

If I find it on sale, I'm happy to tell others!

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 07-25-2002, 03:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I love the idea of giving at the 4th of July. I'm sure all those places really need the help in the middle of the summer.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

That's a brilliant idea!

First thing tomorrow morning I'm bringing some of my squirelled away stockpile to where it's needed!
Old 07-26-2002, 07:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

peabiscuit

I know that your stash will be appreciated whereever it goes.

I've started stocking up on school supplies (our son is out of school) to donate to our local elementary school after winter break. The teachers really appreciate it for those kids that need a little help. So many kids come back with new crayons and pencils, those few that don't have them feel bad.

We went through some rough times when our son was in school and it does my heart good when I can repay some of those kindnesses.

If you are coming to see me, come any time! If you are coming to see my house, make an appointment.
Old 08-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Sue,

Bless your heart; I know what you are going through for I lost my job in IT a year ago. In my area, there are so many people in my field out of work (WorldCom, AOL, etc.) that I don’t know where I will ever find another job. Unemployment compensation has stopped and I'm living off my meager savings – and my “bounty” I started a while back.

While I was employed, I stocked my freezers with meat, butter, frozen goods and my basement shelves with toilet paper, paper towels, and non-perishable foods like pasta, canned goods, etc.

I did this for 2 reasons. 1. We have snowstorms and 2. I was always thinking if I did not have a paycheck coming in, what would I do…….

We are very lucky in this area to have 1/2-price sales off or more, in our supermarkets on everything. When they have a sale on anything I use, I buy and use the coupons, which means I get the item close to nothing.

We actually had a sale on Pork tenderloin for 1.99 a pound! I believe the regular price is around 6.99 a pound. When they had/have these sales I load up.

Now, I am mainly living off my "stocking" of items I purchased when I was employed and I eat quite well.

I also buy my Science Diet cat and dog food when it's on sale at PetSmart.

People wondered why I stockpiled; now they know! Keep up the good work.
Veterinary Internal Medicine & Oncology