Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

buying too much????

I think you are doing fine, I love to stock up when things are on sale. I just will not buy a brand or item that we do not like or will not eat. As long as you will use the item before it goes bad or is something no one will eat then it is fine and limiting yourself to $10 what a girl. You are organized too! This is a good thing to have all the stuff you need for like a year, if you have the space, then you will never have to worry about feeding your family if there ever comes a layoff or illness. Keep up the good work!
Ruth
Old 04-21-2002, 04:50 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Food Storage Savings

Ladies, don't ever allow someone to degrade your efforts to provide for your family. In 99% of our homes we are the keeper of the home and family which includes nurturing. We are not the only ones affected by the insecurity of "running out" of something.

Many years ago we ran out of toilet paper twice whereby my 6 year old was the victim in need. He was not happy. Of course I ran out and got some but much to my surprise from that point on every time I would go buy a 9 package I'd notice 2 or three missing almost immediately. I accused the teenagers of using it to roll houses during football season. This went on for months until I decided it was time to rearrange my 6 year olds room only to discover that he had begun his own mini storage of toilet paper under his bed. He, being the youngest, always got beat out of the snacks and the best cereals by his older brothers as well so slowly but surely he had quite a collection of those as well. Now at 6 years old he had the forsight to do what needed to be done so that he was never caught in that situation again.

The point to this post is to make you understand that we are not only hurting ourselves and our pocket books by not having an adequate stock but we are hurting our families. I now have a huge storeroom with everything from underwear(1 size larger than what they wear now) & kotex to green giant veggies that I caught on sale 4/$1. I calculated how much toilet paper my family uses per month and I do have a 1 year supply on hand so my son has released his fears of running out and has left the storage up to mom.

One tip I would like to share is pest control. I've seen several posts whereby the garage and basements are being used and after losing approx. $500 of storage items to rodents and roaches I recieved a tip from a veteran food storer who recommended using bay leaves scattered throughout your shelves and boxes. It really works ladies. It's been a year now and I have yet to see one roach or mouse in that outdoor storage room since. I change these out every month to keep the odor fresh.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've really enjoyed reading all of these messages! I don't know if it's the area that we live in or what it is, but to me savings are never that great here!! Especially on tp!! I have a family of 5 & we homeschool, so we are here a lot of the time. Therefore, we use a lot of tp! I NEVER can find tp on sale & it's very costly. I wish I could save money or groceries like all of you are doing here. I guess I need to just read more or your posts & learn & then maybe I will see what I'm doing wrong!
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2002, 06:48 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm not a picky tp'er so as long as it doesn't feel like sandpaper or isn't as thin as transfer paper, I'll buy it. So, I buy it at the dollar store or I buy the store's brand...wherever. I just can't make myself pay for something like Charmin...I mean..I'm gonna flush it down the toilet after a brief encounter. I'm tough enough to take the less squeezable brand. ;-)

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-27-2002, 04:15 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle I am getting extreme again.

Well ladies i quit my job. And really have cut away everything in my budget. Grocery's are no exception i cut my grocery bill again my stock item are now 5.00 a week instead of 10.00. My stock pile will not deplete with alot of planning. I am going to try something differant this for the month of may my goal is not to let my grocery budget exceed 50.00 per month. plus my 20.00 for stock items for a total of 70.00 per month. Hubby and i have decided that we will have 2 meatless dinners a week and one breakfast dinner a week. I am chipping way at eveything i can think of. Tommorrow i am going through everything and updating my household/inventory book and making sure everything matches what i have. wish me luck
Old 04-28-2002, 04:36 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good Luck

:p
I am glad you are happy with the steps you are taking.
Remember to stock up during the spring/summer/fall on the fresh veggies and fruits. Can them or freeze them or dry them. Do you live near farms or can you grow your own stuff? Don't forget to buy in bulk when you can and freeze the excess, I do it with pizza and tomato sauce, and dry good for sure, is there aplace selling bulk in your area? You can even get flour that way and make your own baked good, sure to save some money.
Good luck once again!
Ruth
Old 04-29-2002, 04:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I learned to stock up from my DAD!! My mom went back to work when my youngest sis went to school. Dad took on the job of grocery shopping. He would check the sale flyer and cut coupons. Sometimes he would make a couple trips to the store each week to buy the "limit" of something on sale, esp. toilet paper. He had three daughters!

I am working on my "stash" of things. I don't have a good inventory like some of you ladies. This is one of my goals. Right now, when I menu plan I stick my head under the bed and move some things around to see what I have forgotten!

Last edited by Renee; 04-29-2002 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:21 AM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

LOL Renee! I keep hearing that people store things under the bed but.......then WHAT will I do with my shoes??

May you have warm words on a cold evening ~ A full moon on a dark night ~ and the road downhill all the way to your door. Lisa~
Old 04-29-2002, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Under the bed storage ~

I love under the bed storage, and especially since I got creative about it ~ no more flat-on-my-stomach stuff to see what's under there or trying to get it out.

Under the bed storage can really be easy ~ just think really lazy! I like to take older dresser drawers (how deep depends on how much room you have under the bed) and attach casters to all four corners as well as a pull rope to the center of the front (or attach it to the handle) and tie a knot in the end that will be closest to you, or if you want to go fancy, add a small wooden dowel and create a grab handle.

My king size bed (or two twin beds pushed together) will accommodate 6 of these drawer systems (2 on each side and 2 at the end of the bed).

The casters and the rope make it super easy to just pull it out to see what goodies you have stored there.

A sheet (or partial sheet) of plastic covers each storage container so that dust is not a problem.

I always restretch the rope to a length so next time I only have to bend a bit to reach it behind the dust ruffle as opposed to getting all the way down on the floor.

Another thing that really helps is to keep an inventory list of what is in each drawer so that you don't have to even pull it out to know what is there.

Watch at garage sales, tag sales, and on garbage hauling day for discarded dressers. And wait until you see the look on the owners face when you tell them you want to buy/take only the drawers!!

You can really maximize storage this way and with a dust ruffle, no one even knows it is there ... except me ... and that is the whole idea. Many a Christmas gift has been hidden successfully there because no one else in my family would even think of looking there.

Sandie
Old 04-29-2002, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Re:Do you ever get obsessed with saving money at the grocery store?

Re:Do you ever get obsessed with saving money at the grocery store? No I don't ever get obsessed with saving money at the grocery store!! However I do like to save money at the grocery store whenever I have to go and pick up groceries and all!!
That is the only time that I want to save money I don't go every weekend just to go and try to save my family money because I feel that I am wasting more money than saving my DearFamily money!!

My FC Member Awards!
<HR width="95%" color=green height="3">

Hey, I won!