FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Shopping (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/)
-   -   $20 grocery budget (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/4434-20-grocery-budget.html)

MrsManiac 07-10-2002 09:53 AM

$20 grocery budget

Okay ladies, put your thinking caps on! Our local food pantry is trying to come up with a plan to give a $20 voucher to the people that get their food from there. They want a few of us(myself included) to come up with a "menu" for a family of four using the $20, a box of rice, two bags of beans, canned veggies, and flour. (These are the types of things typically given out, depending on the items donated). I know, this isn't much info to go on, that's why I'm stuck!:) But part of their program is to help people budget their food and show them ways to stretch the amount they have to work with. So I'm looking for ideas (and recipes) that I can include. I haven't started yet--I posted here first lol--but will post my suggestions if anyone wants to see them. Thanks for any and all ideas!! I'm now off to search the Internet for ideas!

Renee 07-10-2002 01:27 PM

How long is it to last? I saw a menu list once on a web page for seniors on fixed incomes. I'll see what I can find.

lawnangel 07-12-2002 09:40 PM

Those big chubs of hamburg are around $5.00 and last through alot of meals, especially if you use less thenn you normally would so there is no waste and it stretches.

The only thing I could think of at the moment.............good luck.

:heart:

Hatvany 07-13-2002 12:12 AM

I have coppied the list off and will work on the problem. I have some economical recipes that I will type out and send. Keep me posted on what you come up with. My husband and I are living on a very limited income.

Jackie S:heart: :cat:

Laura Conrad 07-13-2002 06:31 AM

Being on a limited food budget myself I have tried a few things for variety.

Mac and cheese with a can of tuna. spaghetti with sauce, I have also taken a can of tomato juice add a couple cans of mixed veggies a couple bouillon cubes, some noodles or rice salt and pepper to make a soup.

Have a great day

allenlee714 07-13-2002 12:46 PM

when i was totally broke i used to put one half bag of frozen veggies in with my boiling noodles from mac and cheese and then the drain and mix up as usual ..i got the cheap mac and cheese 4 for 1.00 im sure many other things can be added while boiling the noodles and mix as usuasl....like cut up hot dogs. cheap cooked sausage.....even spam cubed if things are tough, varieties of this can be got att almost any dollar store....another was just plain buttered noodles..even well off people like that....and some veggies on the side as for rice just make some up and add a bit like half can diced tomatoes and some leftover meat and mix up ...been there before too..believe it or not i ltill like these,,, put beans in the crock pot and almost double the water a bit of seasoning and low over nignt.no pre soaking or nothing and they taste like you slaved........god bless those who help others eat heres my prayer for food ... thank god for dirty dishes they have a tale to tell while others may go hungry were eating very well with home and health and happniess i shouldnt want to fuss for by this stack of evidence gods been good to us.....

Houston-Mom 07-13-2002 06:23 PM

Here are two of our cheap meal ideas

1 package (16 oz) of noodles (any kind of noodles work)
2 cans of tuna ( we use leftover chicken too. debone & go)
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of peas

cook noodles and mix all the stuff together and heat.

0.99 for noodles
2/ 1.00 for tuna
2/ 1.20 for soup
0.50 peas

$$$ 3.69 total!
This will feed a family of five with leftovers:-D

Another idea for a filling side dish is...

2 cups (16oz) of elbow noodles
1 can of diced tomatoes
a little bit of sugar to sweeten

cook noodles and mix

Kids love these dishes. Even the picky eaters ;-)

Good luck
:heart: Houston-Mom :heart:

P.S. I had a friend that worked at W.I.C. and they have some good cheap meal ideas. You might check there.

farmnurse 07-13-2002 06:39 PM

You can do alot of things with burger meat or chicken and it usually is about the cheapest.
Recipes
1. groung meat
2. cook rice
3. mix together with a package of brown gravy mix or cream of mushroom soup

cook chicken in tomatoe sauce then mix rice into sauce.

OmommyO 07-14-2002 06:53 AM

My husband used to live on this before I introduced him to real food. I call it the poor mans tuna casserole.

1- 9 ounce can shoestring potatoes ($.99)
1 can tuna ($.39)
1 can cr. of anything soup (I like cr. mush) ($.39)

Put the whole can of potatoes on the bottom of a 2 quart micro casserole dish. Spread tuna on top of potatoes and soup on top of tuna. Cover and microwave about 5 minutes turning after about 2 minutes. Let set in microwave about 5 more minutes. I serve with peas. A meal for 4 under two dollars (in Iowa).

catlady101 07-14-2002 08:18 AM

I have a recipe for turkey, leftover you make it into croquettes and you use rice as a filler and fry. If you think would help, let me know and I will post it. I got it from someone who got it from WIC program I think. If you can get turkey on sale have it for one meal then make these it makes the turkey very economical. I also then use the carcass to make turkey carcass soup which is also very healthy and tasty. so nothing goes to waste.
Ruth
:cat:

Houston-Mom 07-14-2002 05:04 PM

Catlady101;
I would like those two recipes. Would you email them to me at [email protected]

Thanks in advance
:heart: Houston-Mom :heart:

Grandma Annie 07-14-2002 08:25 PM

What a good idea, often it's hard to come up with new ideas on your own to use what you have, and not have it taste the same.

One of our favorite tide me over meals is pancakes. Today we had them with strawberries out of the garden. When I want them for a supper we add a drained can of corn.
Also we make omlets, and add what ever we have, a bit of grated cheese, or a few slivers of mushrooms, bits of diced ham.
Ususally, whatever we put on the omlet wouldn't be enough of anything left to do much with. If you have salsa, that makes a nice topping and adds a little boost of flavour.
Another thing we do is make a lot of home made soup. We boil up any bones we have and make a stock. Sometiimes chicken, or turkey, or beef. then we throw in vegetables ( the left overs from previous meal(s). If it's a beef soup, we usually add barley. If it's chicken or turkey we add rice or noodles with the vegies.

When I make things like meat loaf or meat balls I add some oatmeal, egg, salt and pepper, and onions( if I have them). That makes the meat go further and makes a nice meat loaf.

Hubbies favorite dish is what he calls "Gunge" Hamberger ( cooked in a frypan and broken up) added to Macaronie and cheese, with onions chopped, and stewed tomatoes then baked in the oven. Goes a long way.

Hope this is what you wanted , I don't know what your prices are like, but here in Northern B.C. potatoes are $7.99 #10. Flour is $8.99 #10 ( that was in the store today I usually wait for sales and buy my flour $4.99 #10 on sale.) $20 wouldn't go far on basics. Chicken on sale $.99/# , Hamberger $1.99/#.

Pat

slb427 07-15-2002 04:52 AM

Here are two ideas I used to make when times were really tough and I had four teens to feed:
First one: I would buy a whole chicken when on sale and use it to make chicken soup. Would take out the cooked chicken to debone it. The breast and other larger pieces were put aside for use in another meal (chicken casserole with noodles, cream of something soup, spices) and the smaller pieces put back into the soup. My kids happened to like the smalll pasta in the soup (tubetinni or similar) and we always had more of the noodles or pasta than meat. I also put in a can of tomatoes to the broth and carrots. They loved the soup and the casserole was good as well. Always had bisquits or rolls with them.
Next recipe is broccoli & spaghetti...One head broccoli (sometimes I saved part of it for another meal) after it is cooked, add about 5-6 chicken bouillion cubes to water it was cooked in.In another pot boil water for spaghetti. I break it into the smallest pieces i can ahead of time and then cook it . After draining it, I use that pot to saute an onion and garlic. Scrape that into the other pot that has the water & broccoli, salt & pepper to taste. That should be pretty flavorful.Dump cooked spaghetti back into big pot, add the smaller one with broccoli & broth, can add a tblsp of margarine if you like.Mix & serve with grated cheese. Really cheap, makes a lot and this is one we still make.

Harriette 07-17-2002 11:12 AM

meals

A few ways with hamberger:

Buy in bulk, cook up and divide for some of the following dishes - mix/match to suit individual tastes:

Slumgullion to us: Add chopped onions, can of tomatoes (paste, sauce, stewed, even fresh), season to taste. Add vegetables - mixed, peas, green beans, etc., Serve over rice, noodles or potatoes -

Make chili - with or without beans and add macaroni or other pasta to make chili mac. Season to taste or to spiciness.

Make a white cream sauce using flour or cornstarch. Add cooked hamburger or make mini meatballs and add after browning. Serve over rice, noodles or potatoes. By adding sour cream - a poor man's stroganoff (sp?) Can substitute by making a brown gravy instead of a white one and omit sour cream for Swedish meatballs.

Sloppy joes: brown hamberger, add onions, season to taste. Add ketchip, brown sugar, garlic powder, worchestershire sauce, lemon juice or a couple lemon slices, even vinegar, tabasco sauce, a little water. Simmer until thick. Serve over bread, rolls or again, rice, noodles or potatoes.

Just a few recipes and hope they help you out. Remember by just changing from one type of gravy to another you have different dishes and flavors - e.g., tomato sauce and seasonings and you have italian gravy or spaghetti sauce as most of us call it.

Have fun^^

Jenniedw 07-17-2002 11:35 AM

wow!!^^
Can't wait to try some of these ideas!!! My three sons all are pretty open to me "experimenting " hehe with new ways to stretch our food dollars and make a new meal out of odds-n-ends.
My sweetie is picky about some things but does at least try most of it!! I am not the best cook, (his mother is don'tcha know lol)
but i do try to be creative !!!:-D
Now to get a better system for meal planning with my frugal new recipes!!!

MrsManiac 07-17-2002 12:29 PM

Wow, thanks guys!! The ideas are great--I'm going to try some of them myself:-P:: . I have a list somewhere, but can't seem to find it, that I'm going to post. I ended up with about a week and a half's worth of food--more if some of the stuff is made from scratch. I'm glad you guys have meat in your ideas--one of the other ladies I'm working with on this suggested deep-fried dandelions. I've had dandelion salad, and liked it. My problem with that suggestion is that these people are desperate enough without having to feel so bad off they have to eat weeds!

Lvega28 07-18-2002 10:41 AM

$20 grocery budget

I have three kids and that need stuff! Sometimes that means taking money out of the food budget to buy other things.

These are some things I do to stretch a dollar:

1. Quesadillas, cheese and flour tortillas, my kids love these with just cheese. I make them with left over ham, chicken, ground beef, steak.

2. Mexican Rice, served with the quesadillas, enchilladas, etc. One cup rice, slice or chopped onion (1/4 cup), brown rice in oil, add 1/2 can tomatoe sauce, 1 cube chix bouillion, and 3 cups of water.

3. Cheese Enchilladas, corn tortillas, can of enchillada sauce, cheese, and oil. Put oil in pan, put tortillas in one at a time to soften, dip in enchillada sauce to coat both sides, put cheese in the middle roll up and stack in baking dish. You can also add chicken or ground beef, salsa for veggie enchilladas. Top with cheese or salsa while still hot.

4. Tacos, brown ground beef, serve on corn or flour tortillas, with lettuce and tomatoe, you can also add salsa, corn, cheese, sour cream if you have some.

5. Canned/frozen ham, one ham can be used for many meals: sandwiches, omeletts, mac & cheese with ham, ham & noodle casserole, ham with mashed potatos and gravy...

Lvega28 07-18-2002 10:46 AM

$20 grocery budget

Here's a great site for additional recipes and ideas for healthy meals for people on a budget/limited income:

http://www.usda.gov/cnpp/

In Wisconsin 07-18-2002 11:52 AM

try this

2 pkg. ramon noodles
1/2 bag frozen veggies
any type of meat cut and cooked

Put the frozen veggies in the water and bring to a boil. Follow package directions for cooking the noodles, and add the meat as soon as you take the noodles off of the stove. If you prefer not to have it as a soup, just add half of the water.

Small can tomato sauce
2 cups cooked rice
4 lg. green peppers
cooked ground hamburger
shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

mix all ingredients except peppers. cut top off of the peppers and take out the insides. stuff the peppers with the mixture. Bake in 325 oven until heated through.

sheilaanderson 07-18-2002 02:11 PM

frugal meals

hello.
here is thought on the beans.( i use great nothern beans or pinto)
cook one pkg of beans with seasonings of choice(onion,garlic powder,seasoning salt,chili powder,etc)
have the first meal as white beans and corn bread.
next evening-mash beans and have bean burritos in flour or corn tortillas. could include mexican style rice.
if any left-3rd night-serve with homemade corn tortilla chips and bean dip with salsa, sour cream,etc.(like a layered dip)
also rice can be used in these recipes.
hope these help.
sincerely-sheila ann anderson:) :) :) :) :) :)

Jennifer1093 07-19-2002 08:36 AM

Pasta, Pasta, Pasta and lots of rice!! I know it is alot of carbs but when you are trying to get the most out of what you have nutrition usually comes in last. You can add anything to pasta and rice. A can of cr. of anything soup, tuna, frozen veggies, sauce (jarred or homemade), leftovers from other things. Try making macaroni then add a large can of diced tomatoes and some scrambled egg. Great! Always shop the "reduced" section in your grocery store if it is available and try to always get the store brand unless the name brand is on sale for less. This has saved us many times in the past. I like to keep a bowl in the freezer to put ANY left overs in. When the bowl is full thaw it and mix it in a large pot with tomato juice or spaghetti sauce and a little water to make it a soup like consistancy. You can also make some new rice to add to this. I know that this sounds strange but it can be a wonderful new thing. It is different every time. I call is leftover soup.
Hope that this helps!
Jennifer

StillNaked 07-20-2002 10:02 AM

Any leftover rice can be used to make a quiche shell. Add some butter, a little flour, spices. Bake a couple minutes til brown. Then they can add the veggies, some eggs. It doesn't need meat, but I guess some beans would add texture.
Beans cooked in spices, water, and a little veggie are great when served over rice.
You can also make a veggie stir fry, adding meat or eggs, and serve over rice.
And Chiliquillas. Fry some tortilla pieces in oil until crunchy. Then add a little onion, spices, and scramble eggs in the whole thing. Yummy! Cheese is good on top if you have it. And salsa.
You can also use the leftover beans, mash them and fry in little oil. After they are refried, serve them over rice cakes.
For a cheap drink Horchata. Soak the rice over night. Add cinnamin and vanilla. Then blend it all and strain the rice peices out. Oops, and sugar.
Hope this helps, if you need more specific amounts email me.
Laurie HG
[email protected]

Lvega28 07-20-2002 04:44 PM

$20 grocery budget

This would be my menu and grocery list for the week:

veg oil
oatmeal $1
big can of tomatoes (stewed, chopped, sauce, paste, whatever I could get cheap) $1
eggs $1
potatos $1

menu
breakfast
Mon-Fri oatmeal

Menu

Renee 07-21-2002 07:07 AM

Been on vacation for a week. I have enjoyed seeing everyones ideas too. We try to have meatless spaghetti with garlic bread (regular bread broiled with marg, garlic powder, and parm cheese) and salad pretty regularly.

Lvega28 posted the web site I was looking for. Thanks. I will check it out again too!

Lvega28 07-25-2002 10:39 AM

$20 grocery budget

Was anyone able to come up with a menu for a week based on the items listed and $20. If so, I'd like to see it. I am hoping to put myself to the test. I am still spending WAY TOOO Much money on snack foods and food that doesn't get eaten, fruit that turns brown and bread that turns moldy before we can eat it!

Thanks,
Lourdes :worm:

Sueanne 07-25-2002 12:05 PM

Angel Food Ministries

Saw this on another site. Angelfoodministries.com where they have sites to pickup prepaid food. It is a non-profit organization in quite a few different states. Check it out for yourself.:) Angelfoodministries.com

marinewife 08-09-2002 07:53 AM

this meal costs about $2.50

I learned this from a friend one month when money was extremely tight and i make it now years later even when i could afford more expensive meals.

1. 1 lb ground sausage
2. 1 can grean beans
3. 1 can corn
4. 1 can cream mush soup
5. 1 roll of pilsbury biscuits

cook sausage completely and add veggies and soup. place in square baking dish and cover mixture with the round biscuits. bake according to directions for biscuits.

prep time: 10 min tops
cook time: 7-8 min

the sausage is the key, it addes so much flavor you will be suprised at how great this tastes!

MrsManiac 08-12-2002 11:46 AM

I've never made that with sausage--only hamburger. I'll have to try it:)

Okay--here's the one I've come up with. It's been tough--the contents of the boxes are never the same, so I tried to use things that are interchangeable.

In the box was 1 box cereal, 1 box instant oatmeal packets, 2 cans tuna, 1 can chunk chicken, 4 boxes mac-n-cheese, 2 boxes spaghetti noodles, 1 jar peanut butter, 3 cans soup, 3 cans "cream of" soup, 5 lbs flour, 6pkgs ramen noodles, 1 box fruit-and-grain bars, 3 cans corn, 3 cand green beans, 1 can mixed veggies, 1 jar mayo, 1 bag rice, raisins, 4 lbs sugar, 2 "meal kits"(everything is included, you just have to mix it.)

With the voucher, I chose: 1 gallon milk(2.59) 1 whole chicken(3.98), 1 lb lunch meat(store brand-1.19)and cheese slices(store brand-.99), 2 loaves bread(1.98) a large jar of spaghetti sauce(1.29), 1 dozen eggs(.59) and a pkg of yeast(1.09)and a 3-lb bag of apples(1.99) for a total of $18.87. I would probably buy juice with the extra.

For breakfast, the cereal, oatmeal, muffins, and pancakes(plain, or apple-raisin).

Boil the chicken and save everything for soup(hm noodles and can of veggies), chicken salad, chicken and rice, chicken-fried rice, creamed chicken crepes or in popovers, chicken spaghetti

Lunches can be sandwiches, soup and hm rolls, mac-n-cheese(with or without tuna/chicken mixed in), Ramen noodles (same). Dinners can be the same as lunch--sandwiches, soup, etc. Also spaghetti, chicken nuggets(dip chunks into mayo, then bread crumbs, bake)

For snacks(or whatever): rice pudding, muffins, fried apples,

amyphoto 08-12-2002 06:26 PM

I have had the link for this discussion for a little while now, and I finally came to it! I just read all of your suggestions and have copied them all into a word document to try them!!:) You all have some great ideas! I have a 21 month old and another on the way, I also have a somewhat picky dh, who has been out of work for over 3 weeks now and this is the second time this year he's been out with an injury!:( So we are living on the last paycheck that he brought in, waiting for workman's comp to send us a check! Luckily I am the type to stock up on canned foods and some frozen meats too! I'm excited to try some of these recipes and if I come up with any new ones I'll be sure to post them!::-)::
:daisy:

MrsManiac 08-12-2002 06:47 PM

{{Amy}}--boy, I know how that goes!! I hope your dh heals quickly!

Didn't these ladies come up with some awesome stuff? I can't wait to try some of these recipes!

MrsManiac 08-12-2002 06:53 PM

Lourdes--I've been meaning to post regarding your comment about brown fruit and moldy bread. ROFLMAO I can't tell you how often that has happened to me!:mad: My advice? Stick the bread in the freezer and pull it out as you need it. For the fruit--do you make muffins? If it's just getting overly ripe and not rotten, smoosh it and it can go into bread, muffins, pancakes, etc. Freeze those, and you've got breakfast!:)And snacks that didn't cost a fortune, and are way healthier than anything that you can buy!

catlady101 08-13-2002 05:31 PM

I am soooooo sorry

I had not been able to get the recipes I promised posted. I am trying to attach them to this, if it does not work I will try something else. I am also trying to enclose a WIC paper from 1971 for uses of dry milk...as well as the recipes for carcuss soup and broth. Like I said I am sorry I did not get these posted sooner but I have been busy with 2, now 3, ill *****cats and myself.
Ruth

catlady101 08-13-2002 06:10 PM

so sorry I have not ...

been able to send the recipes I promiced.
I copied them and tried to post them but the files are too long.
well here goes:
Turkey Corquettes
6 servings
2C cooked turkey, diced
1C cooked rice
1/2C celery, finely chopped
2T onion finely chopped
1tsp. flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1/4 C evaporated milk ( I have substitued regular milk, came out fine but not as creamy)
3/4C breadcrumbs
2 Qt cooking oil, for frying
1/3 C chopped nuts
1/4 tsp poutry seasoning

Combine Turkey, rice, veggies, flour and seasonings and nuts if desired. Use only enough milk to moisten. shape into 12 croquettes ( I made mine round for ease) roll in bread crumbs and fry in deep pot or deep fat fryer at 375 degrees until browned (2-5 mins) Drain. They suggest garnishing w/ the nuts but I enjoyed the crunch in the croquette.

Since you had to cook a turkey to get the leftovers to make the croquettes you may as well and be super thrify and make this:

Turkey Carcass Soup

1 turkey carcass ( or from lg oven roasted chicken, 6 or more pounds before cooking)
4 Qt. or more of water, enough to cover, at least
2-3 garlic cloves (or equivalent garlic powder)
1-2 large carrots chopped in big pieces
1-2 lg stalks of celery also chopped in big pieces ( good time to use the leaves up)
1 lg peeled onion

put all ingredients in lg stockpot. Heat on high until it begins to boil, skim foam and discard. cover partway, and reduce heat and simmer for about 3 hours.
Strain soup into large bowl, discard everything but the liquid. If you like a clear soup you can strain twice. Put in refrigerator and chill, skim off fat.

This is way low cal but it can be used for a base for other soups. way yum and not too much work, you can use a crockpot if you have a big one.
I like to add noodles to this for lunch or dinner, even some couscous is nice.

Another money saving tip is Powdered Milk
It is way cheaper then ready made milk, and if made the night before and chilled well no one will be the wiser and it is nonfat! A big box of dry milk weighs a lot less them a bunch of gallons of milk that you have to run to the store for all the time. If you just cannot drink it use it in your baking or recipes, it will save a bundle right there. Often food banks give out powdered milk so this is a good way to use it up. Used in cooking it is undetectable. And if your gang like 1 or 2 % milk make the non fat and add a few splashes of whole milk and they will never know the diff. I know my aunts did that for years and I thought they had the best milk.

There, I have done it, I hate to promice something and not do it so I hope that you all enjoy even if you are not on a budget.

Also look for turkeys on sale about now....with all the holidays behind or ahead of us and no one wanting to fire up the oven in the heat you can find good buys on frozen birds that you can keep frozen and cook when it is convenient for you.
Don't forget to check your meat section in your fav store for meat just about to go off date, if it is not marked down ask the meat manager, if they have a lot that is almost out of date the better the discount can be, I got 4 packages of perdue done it chicken breast patties for $2.99 when it was 2 days from the out of date , date. quiet a buy since they sell for almost $4 a package. This meat freezes well but it should be on your use up first list.
I have no problem with getting the food that has been reduced for quick sale, just know the normal prices, some stores try to sell dented cans at not much of a bargain, I just do not buy then. Also look for bulk items. I buy my rice when they put the bulk rice on sale and I have a huge Tupperware container (I got at a yard sale) to store it in, the brown rice goes to the freezer since it spoils easily. Same with flour buy it when it is on sale and stock up, it freezes well too. Also when buying in bulk sections take your calculator, sometimes large isn't always cheap if there is a sale on a prepackaged item.
Good Luck,
Ruth

MrsManiac 08-14-2002 04:50 AM

Thanks for those great recipes catlady!! I have a ton of frozen turkey to use up, and we're getting bored lol! Those croquettes sound yummy.

Hope your kitties get better:)

Harriette 08-14-2002 07:33 AM

$20 food budget

;-)
Thank heavens turkey breasts (and sometimes whole turkeys) are on sale year round. During the hot months (depending on where you live) we cook both on the grill outside. My ds uses a gas grill and I use a good ole' Weber's charcoal.

The best thing is when you cook the carcass for soup - it has a much different flavor due to having used herbs on the grill and it is more or less smoked. Great taste. Have done same with chicken parts and whole chicken. Again a different taste. Sometimes I just cook up the carcass, strain and put it up in the freezer for a fast soup main dish - defrost (in the good ole' microwave), add frozen soup vegetable mix and simmer for about 30 minutes - biscuits on the side - uhmmmm.

For 30 - 40 years have used both powdered milk and skim evap milk when cooking - esp things like custard for puddings and other desserts, mashed potatoes (now can cheat a little with the butter), mac & cheese (cheat on the cheese), pancakes, etc. Nobody ever knew the difference, saved on the milk in the fridge, lowered the fat content in a lot of dishes not to mention keeping my budget in check. For a few years there exchanged my free range chicken eggs for milk straight from a cow and used dry milk to lessen the milkshake taste of the cow milk.

Buying in bulk is great - esp meats. When sales come up, buy, then break down into meals for your family and whether it is to be a main course or part of a meal, e.g., stir fry, wrap and date. Find it much easier to pull out just what I need instead of bulk packages. Of course, you can also do a mass cooking and cook, breakdown to meal size portions, package and freeze. It all depends on how much time you want to spend in the kitchen, work outside the home, etc., etc. Have done it both ways with doing a major cooking - turkey, chicken, ham, pork and beef roasts all going at the same time - one day of meat cooking and breaking down - then just a few minutes to steam vegs, make salad and reheat the meat. - this is a nice way to have pot roast during midweek for a change instead of fast food or convenience foods.

Check things out - when buying beef - my dh when alive always said you can cut a roast into a steak or stewbeef but not vice-versa. Just get a couple good sharp knives and nice cutting board. $$$$ saved in the long run and yet wholesome, home cooked meals without too much hassle.

Have fun and keep posting all of you. Am enjoying reading everybody's input to cutting food cost in the long run. :worm:

catlady101 08-18-2002 03:36 PM

I have always wanted to do one of those mass cookings but I am not good with menus. I would make the same stuff and then get bored and not eat it then it would get freezer burn. I may yet give it a try. I do buy meat in bulk when it is on sale, some places still will even cut it up for you. I always buy my chicken in bulk. We eat so much of it I couldn't afford it any other way. Meats I do not cook a lot of I will watch for those mark downs when they are getting towards due date.
I refuse to pay big prices for meat already cut up for you...I can do it nicely myself. All it takes is a little studying about what cuts of meat are good for what types of cooking, fast cooking, slow cooking etc.
I made the croquettes from the extra ground turkey, they are so yum. I think I like them better from the cooked regular turkey though. Live and learn and it is a good solution if you don't have a big 'ol turkey to cook.
Have a good week all.
Ruth
Ps.
Fudgey is better but still at Vets, hope she will be better enough to come home tomorrow, the other two are almost done their meds, they are back to normal now.
Thanks for your concern.

BellasMom 08-28-2002 10:33 AM

Catlady,
I would love to hear about some of those dry milk ideas.
:angel:

catlady101 08-28-2002 06:37 PM

dry milk can be used to make puddings, just add the water.
I use dry milk when I am making bread
add dry milk when making a smoothie.
make the dry milk the night before and mix well in the blender and let it chill really well...noone will know the diff....
I found out a lot of dairies sell reconstituted dry milk as their skim milk....a good mix and a great chill goes a long way.
If your family doesn't like skim milk add some whole milk to the dry milk after you mix it and it will increase the fat content enough to please everyone.
I will loook for more but they are essentially subbing the dry milk for regular milk in cooking and baking and making sauces and puddings. In those things no one will know the diff, believe me.
Ruth

catlady101 08-28-2002 06:40 PM

I forgot to mention that fudgey is home, she is not out of the woods so to speak but she is getting a little better. She goes back for her check up on friday, I am praying her white blood count is down. It looks like she may have had a stroke, her whole right side is weak but she is not letting that stop her, she is getting more active every day.
Ruth

MrsManiac 08-29-2002 01:14 AM

Catlady--
I know I've posted this before, but in case you missed it, I'm glad Fudgey's better!

It took me a while to get into the "swing" of oamc, a lot of trial and error. If you don't want to do the whole kit and caboodle, how about just cooking your meat ahead of time? You could brown your hamburger, cook and cube chicken breasts, slice the steak for fajitas, etc. This alone can cut a good deal of time off your cooking time while trying to make dinner! I boil my hamburger(easier than trying to do it in a skillet, just be careful not to boil over!!) and simply toss everything else into the oven or microwave to cook as soon as I get home from shopping and let it all cook at one time.