Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-20-2002, 05:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mrs. Maniac... Could you and would you PLEASE post your recipe for the hamburger buns and sub buns, using your breadmaker???? I have tried several, and they have not been a favorite. I keep looking. I would so very much appreciate it. My dh takes his lunch every day, and I know he would love it too.
Pam
Old 09-20-2002, 06:20 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I got this recipe out of a "church cookbook" that dh's grandma had--it was about 50 tears old lol!! I'll type the original, but instead of mixing by hand, I put it in the bread machine on the Dough cycle. To make sub buns, I make long ovals instead of circles. It's really very easy.

Hamburger Buns

8 c. sifted all-purpose flour(I use 1/2 whole wheat)
2 pkgs active dry yeast(grams crossed out the cake yeast and added this)
2 c. warm water
3/4 c. cooking oil(I use canola)
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbs. salt
3 eggs

In large mixer bowl, combine 4 cups of the flour and the yeast. Combine water, oil, sugar and salt; add to dry mixture in bowl. Add eggs. Beat at low spped of electric mixer for 1/2 minute, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes at high speed. By hand, stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough. Turn out on lightly floured surface; knead until smooth. Place in greased bowl, turning once to coat surface. Cover; let rise until double, about 1 hour. Punch down; divide dough into 3 portions. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Divide each portion into 8 balls. Turn ball in hand, folding edges down to make even circle. Press ball flat between hands. Place on greased baking sheet--press to 3 1/2 inch circle. Let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Brush tops with melted butter, if desired. Remove from baking shhets, cool. Makes 2 dozen buns.
Old 09-21-2002, 02:32 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
MrsManiac,

Thank you so much for that recipe. My darling DH got me a bread machine for my birthday (my old one died during the move) and I'm so excited to have one again. I am planning to make all our own bread as I just retired from working outside the home and will most certainly try your recipe very soon.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-21-2002, 05:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

MrsManiac,

Thanks for the bun recipe, I don't have a bread maker, so if I actually try it, I will have to do it the old fashioned way! Do you have regular bread recipes too, ones that give the full directions like the bun recipe did?

Thanks!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!

Old 09-21-2002, 05:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hamburger Buns

I am so thrilled to get this recipe. thanks so much. I am going to try and find time to make them today sometime. Have a busy day, so hope I can work it in. If not, will get to it the first of the week for sure.

can't remember if this is the thread or not asking about the bread bowls. I did find the recipe in one of my PAMPERED CHEF cookbooks. They did use the frozen bread thawed, and put over the stoneware bowl. I am sure you could also use the bread dough in the dairy, think it is Pillsbury. I am thinking I just made bread in my breadmaker, then cut in half, placing over the bowls to bake. (It has been so long ago, I forgot.)
Old 09-21-2002, 06:08 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Amy--I use the recipe from an older Betty Crocker book for our bread. Actually, most of the breads I make come from there! But I'll post the recipe, if you like. I'm sure there may be easier ones out there, but this was the first I tried and it came out good, so I just stuck with it lol!! Also, you might like to try sourdough--I'm positive someone here will have a starter recipe! I use the dough to make buns sometimes--it's a nice change, and very cheap since you don't use yeast!
Old 09-23-2002, 05:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just read this stastic on line,
a liberal family of four spends $174.80 a week on groceries
a frugal family spends $93.00 a week on groceries.
That is a diffrence of $81.80, almost enought to feed another family of four! I can only imagine that it must be all the premade and convience foods.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:01 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Wow!! And here I flip out if I spend over $50! lolol! What a difference though--81 bucks. You're right, Bellasmom--it has to be the convenience foods.
Old 09-23-2002, 09:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Bread Machine Recipes

Another Book that you may want to try for Bread Machine Recipes is the "Easy Bread Machine Baking" by Shirley Ann Holmes

Our Favorite recipe in it is for Sourdough French Bread

Sourdough Starter (I've Tripled the recipe because when I make bread I use What I need and replace that with the same amount of flour and water and let it set overnight and then refrigerate so that I don't have to make the whole thing over again. Besides It gives it a tangier taste if you do this. Just make sure that when you use it to replace it with water and flour 1 to 1 example: You use one cup starter. Mix in 1 cup flour and 1 cup water. Easy
4 1/2 tsp bread-machine or instant yeast 6 cups lukewarm water (105 to 110 degrees F. 6 cups all purpose flour, 3 tbsp instant skim-milk powder.

1. In a large glass bowl dissolve yeast in water. Beat in remaining ingredients untis smooth and misture is like pancake batter. Loosely cover with wax paper and let stand at room temperature (75 to 85 degrees F. ) for 2-3 days, stirring once a day until the mixture is bubbling, fermented and has a sour smell.

2. The starter is now ready touse in recipes. Starter can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered glass container
Bring to room temperature before using or put all the ingredients in the bread pan and set the delay cycle to start in 1 to 2 hours
Bread Recipe: 1 3/4 cups sourdough starter, 3/4 cup water, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp sugar, 3 1/2 cups white flour and 2 tsp bread machine or instant yeast.

1. Add allingredient to machine according to manfacturer's directions. Select French or basic white bread starter. ((I use just the mixing cycle and do my second raising and mold the bread in whatever shape I want)

For a stronger sourdough flavor: Place the starter, water and 2/3 of flour in machine. Select dough cycle and allow to mix 5 minutes, scraping down sides with rubber spatula. Stop machine for 24 to 36 hours. When ready to make bread, add remaining flour and ingredients. Select French or basic white cycle. Bake

Last edited by Hatvany; 09-23-2002 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2002, 06:57 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just found this forum and thought I could share my mealplan for the next two weeks with you, which cost me around 40 $. So that would be 20$ per week. I`m feeding a family of 4 with that.

This is what you buy (I go to ALDI - so the prices are based upon ALDI-stores)
1pk spagetti 69 cents
1 big jar spagettisauce 99 cents
4 pk ramensoup 80 cents (4 x 20 cents)
3 pk macaroni n cheese 75 cents (3 x 25 cents)
2 cans tuna 1.00$ (2 x 50 cents)
2 cans peas 50 cents (2 x 25 cents)
1 bag of rice 99 cents
1 can mushroomsoup 50 cents
1 bag frozen chickenbreast 4.99$ (2.5 lb bag)
1 bag chickennuggets 2.99$
1 bag potatos 2.99$ (10 lb bag)
2 pk hotdogweeners 1.20 $ (2 x 59 cents)
3 cans green beans 75 cents (3 x 25 cents)
1 pk eggs 49 cents
1 pk bacon 1.99 $
2 cans corn 50 cents (2x 25 cents)
1 can kedneybeans 30 cents
1 thousand island dressing 99 cents
4 frozen burritos 1.20 $ (4 x 30 cents)
1 Storebrand hamburgerhelper 99 cents
2 lb hamburgermeat 99cents
99 cents
1 box mashed potatoflakes 79 cents
1 gravy pk 49 cents
1 iceberglettuce 79 cents
1 pk hotdogbuns 99 cents
1 can pork n beans 33 cents
1 tub margarine 99 cents
2 gallons milk 1.99
loaf of bread 69 cents
orangejuice 1.29 $
1 jar jam or jelly 99cents
1 box store brand cereal 1.50$

These are the meals:

Spagetti and Spagettisauce
Ramensoupnight
2 boxes mac n cheese with 1 can tuna and peas
rice with mushroomsoupsauce and chickenbreast (half of the bag)
chickennuggets (half bag) with potatopeaces and corn
potato-weenie-pan with green beans
fried potatoslices with scrambled eggs and bacon
corn-kidneybeansalad w. thousand island dressing and burritos
hamburger helper and green beans
mash potatos, gravy, hamburgermeat and iceberglettuce with thousand islanddressing
chickennuggets and macaroni n cheese and corn
hot dogs with pork n beans
baked chickenbreast and buttered rice

breakfast is cereal or jellysandwich with milk and orangejuice