Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-15-2002, 04:03 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stacia--this is totally off-topic, but is your name Anastacia? I went to high school w/a girl named that--we called her "Stacia" for short. She moved to IN after graduation, and was into stamping big time lol!!

Anyways--just to remind everyone--the $20 was in addition to the box of food given at the food bank, to buy things like meat, bread, etc, that isn't given out. I think you'd have to be a miracle worker to feed a family of 4 on $20 a week!! At least healthily, anyway. But the ideas are great--any way to stretch a buck is appreciated!
Old 09-15-2002, 05:14 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

have you ever tried the More with Less Cookbook....it is writen by the Menonites to feed the planet w/o using up more resourses. It uses a lot of beans, lentils etc and not a lot of meat, the book also advocates making your own bread and it has recipes for like 4 loaves etc. It is not wasy to find used but perhaps you could look in the library for it find a few recipes and copy them and try them out...I love the beef barley skillet. it uses only 3/4 a pound of ground beef and you could decrease that w/ the tvp, or just extend it some.
Good Luck.
Ruth
Old 09-15-2002, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Pinkie Winky

Mrs. Maniac~ no, it's not Anastacia but it is taken from that. My mom really liked that name but my dad didn't so they shortened it! lol And no, I was born and raised here in the Hoosier state! When I was growing up, there weren't too many Stacias that you heard of but there seems to be more and more popping up!!! lol

Ohhhh!!! I'm glad that the $20 was in addition to the food from the food bank! I couldn't imagine spending that little lol Like you said any suggestions or ideas on cutting your food bill would be greatly appreciated!! I'm always looking for ways to cut our especially with 3 males to feed plus 5 daycare kids!!!!!

Have a great week!!!!!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 09-16-2002, 09:21 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, Stacia, I'm glad to meet ya anyways!!

Catlady--I've been looking for a copy of that book for a while. I could probably find it on ebay--but I'm not exactly willing to buy another cookbook lol! I keep hoping to find it in the library system, but no luck so far. I've heard good things about it, though!
Old 09-16-2002, 11:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I just found this thread and I am in heaven. I have a family of 5 and big appetites!!. The thing that I like the most is the easy recipes here since cooking is not one of my strong ability's!
The prices are right too and my kids and dh is getting pretty sick of hamburger helper. Thanks for all the great recipes here.

Mrs. Maniac,
I will pray that your food pantry feeds many hungry belly's. The work you do there must be very fulfilling. God Bless You

Old 09-18-2002, 11:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I made my very first homemade chicken noodle soup yesterday, and it was fairly inexpensive. I used chicken broth about a dollar for a can, cut up a piece of celery and brought that to a boil. In the mean time I cooked a chicken breast in the oven. When the chicken broth and celery came to a boil I added some macaroni noodles to cook in the broth. After the noodles and the chicken were done I cut up the chicken in the noodles and broth. It went quite a ways and would be a good cheap meal in the winter time.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking meal planning

To:Lynnclark - Hi new neighbor - know you will enjoy the site. A lot of good ideas keep coming from all the people from all over.
Good girl about the soup. But why the double cooking - breast in oven - broth/celery on stove. You can do some of the following and will find it goes even further. Take a whole chicken, parts, even the carcass of a roasted chicken (or turkey), cover with water, add celery (onion, bay leaf, sage, thyme, s&p, etc. to taste)and simmer for about an hour or so. Cool and then remove skin and meat from bones. Put in the reefer and the cold will cause the fat to harden on the top which can be removed before adding noodles, rice, veggies, etc. Allows one to make a low fat soup and freeze this homemade in ice cube trays for that little addnl flavor to foods. This stock w/or w/o meat can be put in the freezer to make soup and other dishes on short notice (chicken/turkey veg soup, chick/turk corn chowder, etc). You can also add addnl canned broth when making the final dish. Boullion (sp?) cubes are good to use too but only add one or two to a large pot as it can make your soup, etc., too salty. Happy cooking.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

All this talk about cooking and feeding your family cheap got me all excited!!! LOL So I logged onto our local public library's website to see what they had in reference to cooking cheap! Well.... the following are the books I checked out and let me tell you.. I love them!!! Thinking about seeing if Half Price Bookstore has any of them THought some of you might be interested so here they are:

Eating Economically is Just Plain Smart (How we fee our family of 7 for less than $50 per week) by Mary Jane & Jeff Cardarelle-Hermans

Frugal Cooking by Marenda Bab**** (this lady lives about an hour from me and has several other books about being frugal and I believe even has a website or newsletter on the web)

The $5 Chef (How to save cash & cook fast) by Marcie Rothman

The $5 Chef Family Cookbook (great tasting food on a budget) by Marcie Rothman

Cookmiser by R.J. Lavigne

Hope these help I have some recipes I'll post later!!

**If children live with security, they learn to have faith in themselves and in those about them **

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 09-19-2002, 09:18 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stacia--let me know how you like Cookmiser? I keep thinking about getting a copy, but can't talk myself into spending the $$$--I have quite a few cookbooks already lol!

My bread machine is working overtime today! I'm making bread, buns, and pizza dough. I made my pasta this a.m.--I will be making chicken noodle soup myself later on. Lynnclarke--good job on the soup!! I agree with Harriette--there really is no need to cook it all separately!! I just toss it all in a pot and let it simmer until the chicken is done(cooks quick if in pieces), adding the noodles at the end(I make hm noodles, and they cook in like 2 minutes). It's easy if you have the broth already--I use the same method Harriette does--why pay extra for canned when you can get it for free? (Providing you have a whole chicken carcass, of course. My mom doesn't eat chicken, so she never has one and uses canned).

Anyway--my point is--I save a ton by making my own breads. This may be an option for those of you that have the time to do it--I can make 3 dozen hamburger buns for less than $3 and they taste way better than the ones at the store!! I also make sub buns for dh's lunches--for 4 at the store it's $2.69. I make 12 for the same price!
Old 09-19-2002, 10:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

shocking

will you please post some of your bread and bun recipes on this site. I would like to make some of these or at least give it a try. I don't have much time but since we just purchased a house and it needs some work we are trying to save money any way we can any help that you could give would be appreciated.

As for the chicken soup I already had the canned chicken broth on hand and the only chicken that I had was boneless, skinless breasts, not much broth will come out of that. I totally agree that if you have a whole chicken your way would be the way to go.

Thank-you in advance for your recipes.

Lynn