Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

how does boiling ground meat work? does it get tough or in big chunks? I may give that a try, if I have the base for dinner ready then making the meal is a snap, Thanks,
Ruth
Old 08-30-2002, 07:35 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I just put water into my largest pan, add the hamburger, and boil it, stirring it every once in a while and breaking it up that way. I do get some big pieces, but it's not hard to break those up as I package it up. Then you just drain it, let it cool, and stick it in baggies. Easy to do--and I can cook more at one time this way than I can trying to brown it in a frying pan! Just be careful of boil-overs--with the grease in the water you could have a huge flare-up!!
Old 09-07-2002, 08:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Hi MrsM

A question 'bout the hamburger.....does boiling it remove all of the flavor? We eat very little hamburger now but when I cant lowfat ground turkey, I will buy hamburger, fry it and the rinse it--which removes a lot of flavor and basically just makes it a filler to a recipe IMO. What do you think ?
Old 09-08-2002, 03:29 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Ajrsmom,

That's a great idea. My DH doesn't like the flavour of beef so I don't cook with it much anymore. I'm not awfully fond of the flavour of ground turkey so it's taken some adapting on my part. I may try sauteing and rinsing or even boiling the beef. That way I don't have to eat the turkey and perhaps he wont notice it is beef? Ya think?

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 09-08-2002, 07:40 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Beef substute

There are a lot of Soy based beef subs that taste kind of bland. They pick up the flavor of whatever you are cooking. These are MUCH cheaper, and very healthful! (Is that a word?)
They are called TVP. Texturized Vegetable Protein.
Try them! You can buy a bIG BIG bag for under $20, and it will last fOREVER!
Laurie

Stang Home And Loving It!
Old 09-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question tvp-where does one buy it?

hello .
the tvp sounds very interesting-is it like buying boca burgers-just in the ground form?
and could you suggest where to buy?
thank you so very much!
sincerely-sheila ann anderson
Old 09-08-2002, 02:04 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I use the TSP to add to my ground beef and ground turkey dishes, stretches them and even my DS who wouldn't eat soy unless we're talking sauce is fooled. It does pick up the flavors really well. I especially think tomato flavors are the best such as in chili, lasagna, beef-a-roni.
I saw on a vegitarian show that some places have it in different sizes and colors and even flavors so it can be used for almost any meat you want. I can only find the small and fine variety here.
Back in the 70's when the price of beef rose a few stores actually sold it in small packets just the amount to add to a pound of ground beef to stretch it, they colored it back then. It dropped out of popularity as the beef prices fell and then leveled off.
Ruth
Old 09-08-2002, 02:05 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

health or whole foods stores sell it. I am lucky to have one close by, but hey many markets will get anything if they can sell it. Just ask.
Ruth
Old 09-09-2002, 03:27 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

boiling hamburger

Truth be told--I don't notice the difference, but I generally only use hamburger in dishes that have a lot of other flavorings anyway(spaghetti, tacos, etc).

I've used TVP before--I have to mix it in with "real" meat or my family won't eat it. It's good, but it doesn't taste like hamburger!!
Old 09-14-2002, 03:24 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ok, I've read thru all the posts on this topic and here's my combined replies! lol Sheila~I buy that vegetable crumble instead of hamburger. Yes, Boca does make it too. The one I buy is at the local grocery store and is found in the freezer/refrigerated meat section like where you find the corn dogs, breaded tenderloin, Tyson chicken nuggets, etc. I use it in everything~chili, tacos, Cheeseburger Mac, spaghetti, lasagna, etc anything that calls for ground beef. Best part is that it doesn't have to be thawed b4 using!!!

I have no idea how to feed a family of four on a budget of $20!! I would love to know how! lol I swear by Aldi's grocery store! Also, lots of times at the grocery store, on the day that the bread man is to be there, I'll go in early in the morning and depending on who I get I can get some buns, bread, etc for free or at least not more than $.50 I've gotten 10 pkgs of hot dog buns this way b4 and freeze them. I use them for garlic bread, croutons, bread crumbs, etc.

Also another way we stretch our food budget (I'm a home childcare provider and not on the Food Program so I don't get reimbursed) is that we use alot of tortillas!!! The kids love them~pizzas, breakfast burritos, ham/cheese quessadilla (sp?), pb & j wraps, tortilla chips, etc I've even used them as dumplins in chicken n' dumplins.

Ok so that's my ideas!!!! Love all the great ideas!!!

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11