Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-12-2002, 06:53 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lourdes--I've been meaning to post regarding your comment about brown fruit and moldy bread. I can't tell you how often that has happened to me!:mad: My advice? Stick the bread in the freezer and pull it out as you need it. For the fruit--do you make muffins? If it's just getting overly ripe and not rotten, smoosh it and it can go into bread, muffins, pancakes, etc. Freeze those, and you've got breakfast!And snacks that didn't cost a fortune, and are way healthier than anything that you can buy!
Old 08-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I am soooooo sorry

I had not been able to get the recipes I promised posted. I am trying to attach them to this, if it does not work I will try something else. I am also trying to enclose a WIC paper from 1971 for uses of dry milk...as well as the recipes for carcuss soup and broth. Like I said I am sorry I did not get these posted sooner but I have been busy with 2, now 3, ill *****cats and myself.

Ruth
Old 08-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

so sorry I have not ...

been able to send the recipes I promiced.
I copied them and tried to post them but the files are too long.
well here goes:
Turkey Corquettes
6 servings
2C cooked turkey, diced
1C cooked rice
1/2C celery, finely chopped
2T onion finely chopped
1tsp. flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg beaten
1/4 C evaporated milk ( I have substitued regular milk, came out fine but not as creamy)
3/4C breadcrumbs
2 Qt cooking oil, for frying
1/3 C chopped nuts
1/4 tsp poutry seasoning

Combine Turkey, rice, veggies, flour and seasonings and nuts if desired. Use only enough milk to moisten. shape into 12 croquettes ( I made mine round for ease) roll in bread crumbs and fry in deep pot or deep fat fryer at 375 degrees until browned (2-5 mins) Drain. They suggest garnishing w/ the nuts but I enjoyed the crunch in the croquette.

Since you had to cook a turkey to get the leftovers to make the croquettes you may as well and be super thrify and make this:

Turkey Carcass Soup

1 turkey carcass ( or from lg oven roasted chicken, 6 or more pounds before cooking)
4 Qt. or more of water, enough to cover, at least
2-3 garlic cloves (or equivalent garlic powder)
1-2 large carrots chopped in big pieces
1-2 lg stalks of celery also chopped in big pieces ( good time to use the leaves up)
1 lg peeled onion

put all ingredients in lg stockpot. Heat on high until it begins to boil, skim foam and discard. cover partway, and reduce heat and simmer for about 3 hours.
Strain soup into large bowl, discard everything but the liquid. If you like a clear soup you can strain twice. Put in refrigerator and chill, skim off fat.

This is way low cal but it can be used for a base for other soups. way yum and not too much work, you can use a crockpot if you have a big one.
I like to add noodles to this for lunch or dinner, even some couscous is nice.

Another money saving tip is Powdered Milk
It is way cheaper then ready made milk, and if made the night before and chilled well no one will be the wiser and it is nonfat! A big box of dry milk weighs a lot less them a bunch of gallons of milk that you have to run to the store for all the time. If you just cannot drink it use it in your baking or recipes, it will save a bundle right there. Often food banks give out powdered milk so this is a good way to use it up. Used in cooking it is undetectable. And if your gang like 1 or 2 % milk make the non fat and add a few splashes of whole milk and they will never know the diff. I know my aunts did that for years and I thought they had the best milk.

There, I have done it, I hate to promice something and not do it so I hope that you all enjoy even if you are not on a budget.

Also look for turkeys on sale about now....with all the holidays behind or ahead of us and no one wanting to fire up the oven in the heat you can find good buys on frozen birds that you can keep frozen and cook when it is convenient for you.
Don't forget to check your meat section in your fav store for meat just about to go off date, if it is not marked down ask the meat manager, if they have a lot that is almost out of date the better the discount can be, I got 4 packages of perdue done it chicken breast patties for $2.99 when it was 2 days from the out of date , date. quiet a buy since they sell for almost $4 a package. This meat freezes well but it should be on your use up first list.
I have no problem with getting the food that has been reduced for quick sale, just know the normal prices, some stores try to sell dented cans at not much of a bargain, I just do not buy then. Also look for bulk items. I buy my rice when they put the bulk rice on sale and I have a huge Tupperware container (I got at a yard sale) to store it in, the brown rice goes to the freezer since it spoils easily. Same with flour buy it when it is on sale and stock up, it freezes well too. Also when buying in bulk sections take your calculator, sometimes large isn't always cheap if there is a sale on a prepackaged item.
Good Luck,
Ruth
Old 08-14-2002, 04:50 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks for those great recipes catlady!! I have a ton of frozen turkey to use up, and we're getting bored lol! Those croquettes sound yummy.

Hope your kitties get better
Old 08-14-2002, 07:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle $20 food budget

;-)
Thank heavens turkey breasts (and sometimes whole turkeys) are on sale year round. During the hot months (depending on where you live) we cook both on the grill outside. My ds uses a gas grill and I use a good ole' Weber's charcoal.

The best thing is when you cook the carcass for soup - it has a much different flavor due to having used herbs on the grill and it is more or less smoked. Great taste. Have done same with chicken parts and whole chicken. Again a different taste. Sometimes I just cook up the carcass, strain and put it up in the freezer for a fast soup main dish - defrost (in the good ole' microwave), add frozen soup vegetable mix and simmer for about 30 minutes - biscuits on the side - uhmmmm.

For 30 - 40 years have used both powdered milk and skim evap milk when cooking - esp things like custard for puddings and other desserts, mashed potatoes (now can cheat a little with the butter), mac & cheese (cheat on the cheese), pancakes, etc. Nobody ever knew the difference, saved on the milk in the fridge, lowered the fat content in a lot of dishes not to mention keeping my budget in check. For a few years there exchanged my free range chicken eggs for milk straight from a cow and used dry milk to lessen the milkshake taste of the cow milk.

Buying in bulk is great - esp meats. When sales come up, buy, then break down into meals for your family and whether it is to be a main course or part of a meal, e.g., stir fry, wrap and date. Find it much easier to pull out just what I need instead of bulk packages. Of course, you can also do a mass cooking and cook, breakdown to meal size portions, package and freeze. It all depends on how much time you want to spend in the kitchen, work outside the home, etc., etc. Have done it both ways with doing a major cooking - turkey, chicken, ham, pork and beef roasts all going at the same time - one day of meat cooking and breaking down - then just a few minutes to steam vegs, make salad and reheat the meat. - this is a nice way to have pot roast during midweek for a change instead of fast food or convenience foods.

Check things out - when buying beef - my dh when alive always said you can cut a roast into a steak or stewbeef but not vice-versa. Just get a couple good sharp knives and nice cutting board. $$$$ saved in the long run and yet wholesome, home cooked meals without too much hassle.

Have fun and keep posting all of you. Am enjoying reading everybody's input to cutting food cost in the long run.
Old 08-18-2002, 03:36 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have always wanted to do one of those mass cookings but I am not good with menus. I would make the same stuff and then get bored and not eat it then it would get freezer burn. I may yet give it a try. I do buy meat in bulk when it is on sale, some places still will even cut it up for you. I always buy my chicken in bulk. We eat so much of it I couldn't afford it any other way. Meats I do not cook a lot of I will watch for those mark downs when they are getting towards due date.
I refuse to pay big prices for meat already cut up for you...I can do it nicely myself. All it takes is a little studying about what cuts of meat are good for what types of cooking, fast cooking, slow cooking etc.
I made the croquettes from the extra ground turkey, they are so yum. I think I like them better from the cooked regular turkey though. Live and learn and it is a good solution if you don't have a big 'ol turkey to cook.
Have a good week all.
Ruth

Ps.
Fudgey is better but still at Vets, hope she will be better enough to come home tomorrow, the other two are almost done their meds, they are back to normal now.
Thanks for your concern.
Old 08-28-2002, 10:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Catlady,
I would love to hear about some of those dry milk ideas.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

dry milk can be used to make puddings, just add the water.
I use dry milk when I am making bread
add dry milk when making a smoothie.
make the dry milk the night before and mix well in the blender and let it chill really well...noone will know the diff....
I found out a lot of dairies sell reconstituted dry milk as their skim milk....a good mix and a great chill goes a long way.
If your family doesn't like skim milk add some whole milk to the dry milk after you mix it and it will increase the fat content enough to please everyone.
I will loook for more but they are essentially subbing the dry milk for regular milk in cooking and baking and making sauces and puddings. In those things no one will know the diff, believe me.
Ruth
Old 08-28-2002, 06:40 PM
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I forgot to mention that fudgey is home, she is not out of the woods so to speak but she is getting a little better. She goes back for her check up on friday, I am praying her white blood count is down. It looks like she may have had a stroke, her whole right side is weak but she is not letting that stop her, she is getting more active every day.
Ruth
Old 08-29-2002, 01:14 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Catlady--
I know I've posted this before, but in case you missed it, I'm glad Fudgey's better!

It took me a while to get into the "swing" of oamc, a lot of trial and error. If you don't want to do the whole kit and caboodle, how about just cooking your meat ahead of time? You could brown your hamburger, cook and cube chicken breasts, slice the steak for fajitas, etc. This alone can cut a good deal of time off your cooking time while trying to make dinner! I boil my hamburger(easier than trying to do it in a skillet, just be careful not to boil over!!) and simply toss everything else into the oven or microwave to cook as soon as I get home from shopping and let it all cook at one time.