FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Shopping (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/)
-   -   $20 grocery budget (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/4434-20-grocery-budget.html)

Jennifer1093 07-19-2002 08:36 AM

Pasta, Pasta, Pasta and lots of rice!! I know it is alot of carbs but when you are trying to get the most out of what you have nutrition usually comes in last. You can add anything to pasta and rice. A can of cr. of anything soup, tuna, frozen veggies, sauce (jarred or homemade), leftovers from other things. Try making macaroni then add a large can of diced tomatoes and some scrambled egg. Great! Always shop the "reduced" section in your grocery store if it is available and try to always get the store brand unless the name brand is on sale for less. This has saved us many times in the past. I like to keep a bowl in the freezer to put ANY left overs in. When the bowl is full thaw it and mix it in a large pot with tomato juice or spaghetti sauce and a little water to make it a soup like consistancy. You can also make some new rice to add to this. I know that this sounds strange but it can be a wonderful new thing. It is different every time. I call is leftover soup.
Hope that this helps!
Jennifer

StillNaked 07-20-2002 10:02 AM

Any leftover rice can be used to make a quiche shell. Add some butter, a little flour, spices. Bake a couple minutes til brown. Then they can add the veggies, some eggs. It doesn't need meat, but I guess some beans would add texture.
Beans cooked in spices, water, and a little veggie are great when served over rice.
You can also make a veggie stir fry, adding meat or eggs, and serve over rice.
And Chiliquillas. Fry some tortilla pieces in oil until crunchy. Then add a little onion, spices, and scramble eggs in the whole thing. Yummy! Cheese is good on top if you have it. And salsa.
You can also use the leftover beans, mash them and fry in little oil. After they are refried, serve them over rice cakes.
For a cheap drink Horchata. Soak the rice over night. Add cinnamin and vanilla. Then blend it all and strain the rice peices out. Oops, and sugar.
Hope this helps, if you need more specific amounts email me.
Laurie HG
[email protected]

Lvega28 07-20-2002 04:44 PM

$20 grocery budget

This would be my menu and grocery list for the week:

veg oil
oatmeal $1
big can of tomatoes (stewed, chopped, sauce, paste, whatever I could get cheap) $1
eggs $1
potatos $1

menu
breakfast
Mon-Fri oatmeal

Menu

Renee 07-21-2002 07:07 AM

Been on vacation for a week. I have enjoyed seeing everyones ideas too. We try to have meatless spaghetti with garlic bread (regular bread broiled with marg, garlic powder, and parm cheese) and salad pretty regularly.

Lvega28 posted the web site I was looking for. Thanks. I will check it out again too!

Lvega28 07-25-2002 10:39 AM

$20 grocery budget

Was anyone able to come up with a menu for a week based on the items listed and $20. If so, I'd like to see it. I am hoping to put myself to the test. I am still spending WAY TOOO Much money on snack foods and food that doesn't get eaten, fruit that turns brown and bread that turns moldy before we can eat it!

Thanks,
Lourdes :worm:

Sueanne 07-25-2002 12:05 PM

Angel Food Ministries

Saw this on another site. Angelfoodministries.com where they have sites to pickup prepaid food. It is a non-profit organization in quite a few different states. Check it out for yourself.:) Angelfoodministries.com

marinewife 08-09-2002 07:53 AM

this meal costs about $2.50

I learned this from a friend one month when money was extremely tight and i make it now years later even when i could afford more expensive meals.

1. 1 lb ground sausage
2. 1 can grean beans
3. 1 can corn
4. 1 can cream mush soup
5. 1 roll of pilsbury biscuits

cook sausage completely and add veggies and soup. place in square baking dish and cover mixture with the round biscuits. bake according to directions for biscuits.

prep time: 10 min tops
cook time: 7-8 min

the sausage is the key, it addes so much flavor you will be suprised at how great this tastes!

MrsManiac 08-12-2002 11:46 AM

I've never made that with sausage--only hamburger. I'll have to try it:)

Okay--here's the one I've come up with. It's been tough--the contents of the boxes are never the same, so I tried to use things that are interchangeable.

In the box was 1 box cereal, 1 box instant oatmeal packets, 2 cans tuna, 1 can chunk chicken, 4 boxes mac-n-cheese, 2 boxes spaghetti noodles, 1 jar peanut butter, 3 cans soup, 3 cans "cream of" soup, 5 lbs flour, 6pkgs ramen noodles, 1 box fruit-and-grain bars, 3 cans corn, 3 cand green beans, 1 can mixed veggies, 1 jar mayo, 1 bag rice, raisins, 4 lbs sugar, 2 "meal kits"(everything is included, you just have to mix it.)

With the voucher, I chose: 1 gallon milk(2.59) 1 whole chicken(3.98), 1 lb lunch meat(store brand-1.19)and cheese slices(store brand-.99), 2 loaves bread(1.98) a large jar of spaghetti sauce(1.29), 1 dozen eggs(.59) and a pkg of yeast(1.09)and a 3-lb bag of apples(1.99) for a total of $18.87. I would probably buy juice with the extra.

For breakfast, the cereal, oatmeal, muffins, and pancakes(plain, or apple-raisin).

Boil the chicken and save everything for soup(hm noodles and can of veggies), chicken salad, chicken and rice, chicken-fried rice, creamed chicken crepes or in popovers, chicken spaghetti

Lunches can be sandwiches, soup and hm rolls, mac-n-cheese(with or without tuna/chicken mixed in), Ramen noodles (same). Dinners can be the same as lunch--sandwiches, soup, etc. Also spaghetti, chicken nuggets(dip chunks into mayo, then bread crumbs, bake)

For snacks(or whatever): rice pudding, muffins, fried apples,

amyphoto 08-12-2002 06:26 PM

I have had the link for this discussion for a little while now, and I finally came to it! I just read all of your suggestions and have copied them all into a word document to try them!!:) You all have some great ideas! I have a 21 month old and another on the way, I also have a somewhat picky dh, who has been out of work for over 3 weeks now and this is the second time this year he's been out with an injury!:( So we are living on the last paycheck that he brought in, waiting for workman's comp to send us a check! Luckily I am the type to stock up on canned foods and some frozen meats too! I'm excited to try some of these recipes and if I come up with any new ones I'll be sure to post them!::-)::
:daisy:

MrsManiac 08-12-2002 06:47 PM

{{Amy}}--boy, I know how that goes!! I hope your dh heals quickly!

Didn't these ladies come up with some awesome stuff? I can't wait to try some of these recipes!