Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 10-07-2002, 06:09 AM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: The North Country in New York State. brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
BellasMom,

Thank you so much for the recipes. I'll try them. I've been out of town and just got the chance to read them and copy them into my recipe folder.

Again, thanks for your efforts. I really appreciate it.

We must make our homes centers of
compassion and forgive endlessly.
~Mother Teresa
Old 11-25-2002, 10:53 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, I guess I'm pretty frugal, then lol!! I'd have a stroke if I spent 96 bucks a week on food!! It would be so easy to do, though...a lot of my savings comes from scratch cooking(everything from bread to noodles), and a lot of people aren't willing to do that, or don't know how. As a sahm, it's a lot easier for me to spend the day baking than for someone that works 8 to 10 hours a day!!

Thanks for posting this--I'll check out the link. I'm always looking to shave our food bill a little bit more!
Old 02-14-2003, 11:54 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Question COUPONS ANYONE?

~ ~

Good afternoon ladies....

Just dropping in, to invite anyone that uses, or is interested in, manufacturer's coupons, ...I have them! I began this club, last July/2002, and now has grown to 91 members. I made this swap club completely different than ones you may be use to. I am extending an invitation to anyone that may have an interest in 'coupons', to e-mail me, ([email protected]), and I will gladly give to you the information. In this club, the only thing you pay for is the postage. There is no harm in inquiring, so please feel free to do so.

Here's hoping to hear from you...
Old 02-14-2003, 03:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello everyone.Hello Carol Ann,I just got my coupons today in the mail.thank you very much.Boy I would die if I spent that much on groceries for a week.I don't like it when i go over 50.00.Thank you for the reciepe for the cod and cheese.It sounds so wonderful.Have a wonderful day everyon
Emmalee
Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am very interested in this. I have copied all the recipes and list of foods from the usda. I will go visit the usda site when I get a chance.

I made it a goal for this year to be aware of where all our money goes. I am a sahm mom of 3 and my husband makes pretty good money, but it is gone at the end of the year. We do not go out to eat but a few times a year, we do not go to movies or do much other entertainment. My dh does eat out for lunch quite a bit for work because he is not always able to have home lunches. We did put a small refrigerator in his office for when he is in there.

I would say we have spent about $400+ a month on groceries. And a fair amount of that has been wasted. So this year is different. I have been trying to get my dh to save every receipt he gets and all of his ATM receipts, so I can keep up with him.

I am changing the way I shop, cook and the way I feed my family.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-17-2003, 04:47 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good luck 3msmom!! I've had a blast cutting down on our grocery bill. Some things have been more challenging than others, but I think I've done well. We used to spend $500 or so a month, now it's down to about $200 give or take.

We never go out, either. It's too much for us right now--we save dinners out for special occassions. Instead of dinner out for Valentine's day, we made shrimp and chicken fettucine alfredo. It was nice, and a heck of a lot cheaper than a resteraunt!!

One thing I do advise: ask your kids what they would like to eat. Explain what you're doing so when they get something new they don't freak lol!! My kids love lasagna--I found a cheaper way to make it and they still eat it. The same with rice--I buy the longer cooking stuff instead of Minute Rice. It will all add up over time. I had to learn to cook(my mom is a box-person), but I can make a meal from scratch in less time that I can cook out of a box!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

MrsManiac, thanks for the advice. My kids love lasagna too. I found a recipe that uses Velveeta cheese, there are only 4 ingredients. I do not normally buy Velveeta but thought I would try it, the kids loved it. But the cheese is expensive and it takes 1/2 of the box for the recipe. I used only 1/3 and it turned out fine, but I would still rather not use that cheese.

I use Niko Niko rice, the kids love it with either butter or butter, milk, sugar and cinnamon. Depending on what the meal is. The latter is like a dessert for us.

I'm working on finding more cost efficient ways of cooking and reducing the waste from my children, and my dh and I for that matter too.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~
Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

4 ingredient recipe?

H i Leann!! I would love to get that recipe from you if you have it handy!! My sweetie loves lasagna but it is so expensive to prepare!! I am always looking for the least $$$ way to get my family fed and happy

I have been following this thread with great interest! That Cheesy Cod recipe is already socked away in my computer lol!!!! ;-)

Mom of 3 boys
Patrick, 14
Lucas, 12
Ethan, 5

Wife to
Scotty
Old 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ok--how do I get the link to work? Is it still active? I'd like to check out some of those recipes but can't get to them waaah!

I rarely ever buy Velveeta--I use it to make dips etc for some of our summer parties, but cringe at the cost!! And the store brands I've tried are just gross!!!!

I make my dk's rice for breakfast sometimes--they seem to like it. I'm working on revamping our menus to cut back on the amount of cereal we buy. Basically, I'm letting the mfr's know I will not remortgage my house to buy their cereal lol!! I've been making french toast sticks and pancakes and freezing them.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quick 'N' Easy Lasagna

Description:
When I was in Spokane, my Mom gave me a sack of magazines. This recipe is from the Nov/Dec 2002 issue of Quick Cooking, page 9. I bought Velveeta at the store the other day, it cost $4.49 and I did not see the Mexican variety. So I have this big block of the cheese, the kids like it on sliced baguette with a piece of dry salami, but I still have excess. So this recipe stood out when I read that it took Velveeta! :-) I'm going to make it tonight and see how it is, but I thought I would go ahead and post it since it sounds good enough.

Ingredients:
16 lasagna noodles
2 lbs. ground beef
1 jar (28 oz) spaghetti sauce
1 lb. process cheese (Velveeta) cubed

Directions:
Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce; heat through. Rinse and drain the noodles.

In a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish, layer a third of the meat sauce and half of the noodles and cheese. Repeat layers. top with remaining meat suace. Cover and bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until bubbly.

mommy to
Maria - 7
Monica - 5
Megan - 3
~~~~~~~