Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Food > Planning Ahead > Meal Planning & Grocery Shopping > Grocery Shopping

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question What's your monthly Food Budget?

I am just curious how much ya'll budget for food every month?

I have managed to get my monthly food bill down to $250.00 for a family of 2 adults, 1 teen and 1 pre-teen. I do not count school lunches in this budget nor do I count pet food (I work for a vet and get all my pet food through my job).

I do purchase some cleaning supplies and paper products at the grocery store so I do count those.

Last month I went over my food budget by $5.00 so I am going to try and really stick to it this month! I need to stock up on a few items too so this will truly be a challenge!!
Old 02-07-2002, 07:13 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is actually something I'm currently working on. I was on a budget years ago, but haven't had one for a long time. This month I am testing the waters.

I spent $300 at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have run out of a few things, and had to pick up milk, cereal, etc, so I have spent probably another $45-50 since then.

I have a family of 6, I count my laundry and cleaning supplies and all my lunch food in there. I make lunches for hubby and the two older kids, though the kids sometimes have hot lunch. And of course I have the two kids at home too. I do not count my pet food in there, but I do count cat litter and food for the outside stray cats.

I DID stock up on several cuts of meat that were on sale when I shopped, so it's kind of hard to tell yet. I think February will be a better month to judge what my budget will actually be, but I'm thinking, as long as I can stay stockled up on meat and only buy it on sale, that I will be able to keep the grocery bill at around $300 per month.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-10-2002, 10:06 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

MAD!!!

I am so MAD at myself! I cannot believe what I did.

I live in a small town. I am kind of in between two larger towns where the decent grocery stores are. One town (Kenosha) is 30 minutes away, the other town (Lake Geneva) is 15 minutes away.

Anyway, I get the sunday paper from the Kenosha News. In there is the sale paper for Pick N Save, the grocery store I shop at. So I planned out my shopping trip but had lots of distractions as I had to take my two little ones with me, daddy had the older two

Anyway, I went through the whole store picking out things that were on sale in the paper, wondering why they weren't marked on the shelves. I also bought things that WERE marked and wondered why they weren't in the paper. I checked the paper to make sure I hadn't missed the date, but the sale was through today, so I kept going.

Well turns out, the checker pointed out to me that I was going off of the sale paper from Kenosha, not Lake Geneva!!

WHAT A MESS! I cannot believe I did that. :-( I still did ok, but there were things that I wouldn't have bought unless they were on sale. But there were so many people there, tons behind me, and my kids were being totally obnoxious, so I only ended up pulling out a few things. UGH!!!

I ended up spending $163 and walked out with 13 plastic bags full, plus a large container of cat litter and a 12 pack of Coke. I felt so deflated standing in line. Defeated LOL

I tell ya, I won't make that mistake again!!!!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-10-2002, 10:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hang in there Amanda!

I remember a time I did something similar myself. I spent the whole morning getting my list together and organizing my coupons for my trip into town. The kids were driving me crazy and the phone rang before I left. I get all the way into town and realize in my haste I left everything at home on the table!:mad: I had to buy groceries so I bought what I could remember from the list and waited to get the rest on my next trip into town. It was very frustrating!

So you see...we've all been there done that!
Old 02-10-2002, 11:14 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ugh Thanks

It was so irritating! I didn't buy any meat as I had bought a whole bunch on my last trip and I only grabbed one or two things that actually WERE on sale. LOL

I assumed that both Pick n Save's honored the same sales. So now what I am going to do is drive to Kenosha one day during the week, and will do Lake Geneva another. I don't mind doing that as I have a PO box in Kenosha so I have to go out there anyway.

But man! What a way to come to that realization!

P.S. I now have enough cereal for a month. LMAO

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-10-2002, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing You made me feel much better!

Thanks for sharing your grocery store catastrophy. I have done the same thing a couple of times when I took my kids with me. My brain turned to jello and I started grabbing randomly just to get out, plus the last time I took them (over a year ago) I got home before I noticed extra items that I didn't remember picking up. My daughter 2 yrs at the time told me she was shopping like mommy, she put filet mignon steaks in the basket ($60.00 worth) while I was grabbing the hamburger meat. They were good, but I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Now, I leave them at home with hubby and use the shopping trip as time away.
Old 02-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

At least your daughter has good taste!
Old 02-10-2002, 03:50 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

ROFL Beth! Your daughter sure knows how to pick 'em!

Normally I go grocery shopping ALONE. But today was an unusual situation. The sale was ending today and the new one starting tomorrow.

We had company coming for dinner today and my hubby had to go somewhere. He took the older kids with him but just couldn't take the two younger ones.

So I either missed the sale entirely (too many things I wanted were in that sale LOL) or take the little ones. Now I have taken the little ones with me on occasion, not too big a deal as this particular grocery store has these really cool shopping carts. They are just like those little tikes ride-in cars, with a grocery basket on top, very neat! So the kids ride inside while you shop.

Problem was there weren't any left when I got there! ARRGGH That's never happened to me before! There's usually 3 or 4 sitting there After about 4 aisles I spotted one and grabbed it tho. LOL

Anyway, that was the long way to tell you that even though I went out of my way to make that sale, I still missed it anyway cuz I had the wrong sale paper!!!!

OI!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 02-13-2002, 08:37 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well, now I don't feel so bad lol! It's nice to know I'm not the only one this stuff happens to.

Our "regular" budget for the four of us (2 adults, a 4yo, and a toddler that eats as much as an adult) is about $150 a month. I spend more occassionally when there's a good sale, but then I don't have to buy it again for a while, so it kind of balances out. I keep it at this amount by shopping at several different stores (I buy my canned goods at sav-a-lot, milk at Costco, dry beans at Walmart, etc.). It's not too hard--all the stores are 20 miles away so we make a day trip of it lol! The store in town here is fairly expensive, so I only buy the sale items there, unless I run out of something I need NOW. (Cheaper to spend 2.29 on hamburger buns than drive 40 miles to get a pack for .50). My dh also works 60 miles away, so he stops on is way home if there's a sale somewhere--I just make a list and give him the coupons. And a warning "NOTHING ELSE!!!!"--he is an impulse shopper and will blow the budget if allowed to shop on his own lol.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

budgeting grocery's

Hello every one how you all doing?

I'm Tree I be honest I don't know how much I spent on grocery I lost count 6 yrs. ago when we took over a dry bulk store. But I needed to get back into it I feel I need to get more control of were the money going,. So the qustion I got for you ladies if I sat the budget for $150.00 a month should I subtract the money worth from my budget that I get from our store?

This be Tree Just wondering

Happy Valentines Day