Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:48 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Update on Milk savings

This last trip to the grocery story, 2% milk was $3.99 per gallon.

At Cmaris' wonderful suggestion, I called the local dairies and found a free-home-delivery service from a dairy that charges $1.75 per half gallon. (and delivers free!) I'm saving all the way around! They carry a adoli...."something" milk for those that are lactose sensitive for $1.76 per half gallon. If my daughters can drink it, it will save me half the price of lactose-free milk (which cost $3.52 per HALF gallon at Safeway!)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

MommaBear
Old 02-22-2002, 10:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Glad I could be of some help!

Well hey, Mommabear, that's good news! I was as happy with my local dairy as you are with yours -- and I can literally see the cows the milk came from, grazing out back. Kinda gives you confidence in what you're buying.

Sure hope your lactose-free thing works out -- that will save you a ton of money.

Support your local dairy!

Christina
Old 02-22-2002, 07:21 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Good work mommabear! I hope it works out for you!
Old 03-01-2002, 11:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Jeannie

Thank you SO much for your wonderful post. You summed up just about everything I would like to do!! I have three children and your advice is wonderful!! I'm going to set up the ironing board right now!! Really though, children are much better off learning real skills that will help them when they are on their own. And if we as parents take the time now and realize how important it is they will be much more productive people!!

I really do believe if we shopped and cooked the way our parents did we would all be healthier and save way more money!!

Thanks again!!

Heather
Old 03-01-2002, 12:46 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing

Heather...You can do it! I know you can. *smiling* We as mothers have to have control of what is going on with our kids..

I brought up one of my own, and 2 that weren't, but stayed with me because of circumstance. The very youngest of them had chores. If they could walk and understand, the job was thus:
setting the paper napkins next to each dinner plate, or putting it in the dinner plate. The chores became progressively more responsible as they grew older. But EVERYONE HAD JOBS.

Here's the payoff.......I was hit with an attack of sciatica. This time I had no choice but to follow Doctor's instructions to stay in bed.

With 3 children to care for I was really in a bind, or so I thought.
My oldest, a son, aged 13 at the time, made breakfast and supper for everyone for 3 days, and saw to it that all the chores were done. He made meat loaf one night, spaghetti another night, and baked chicken the third night.
He said, "Ma, what do I do with this chicken?" I said, "butter it, sprinkle it with paprika, salt and pepper and rosemary, then bake it for an hour and a half at 350. "....He said, "and the potatoes?" I said, "yep those too". What I am trying to say is that he was confident around the kitchen and not afraid of a pot, and he knew to wash and pat the chicken dry too. *grinning*

Breakfasts consisted of cereal and fruit and he packed snacks/lunches for the other two.

He did laundry and iron uniform shirts for everyone. AND took care of his school work and made sure the younger ones did so as well. I was so proud of him and them....and of myself for taking the time over time to teach them how to be responsible.

Let me make this point which I feel is very important. I DO NOT believe that older children are responsible for rearing the younger ones. That is NOT their responsibility. If you can't handle more than 2 kids...you don't have more than 2 kids..or one kid. But that's another story for another day.......*smiling*

So what I am saying is that we need to start teaching kids early on to take care of themselves. For once they are able to do that, and think for themselves, they won't easily be lead into trouble.

I hope this has inspired y'all to get your kids in the kitchen to peel 'taters and make some food from scratch. It's worth it! More than you know! *s*
Old 03-11-2002, 05:42 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Can I jump in here?

I totally agree our young people need to be able to cook, clean, do laundry and prepare a menu and grocery shop.

My dd is 15, she can do everything [just not with the best attitude of thankfulness that I'm teaching her all this! ]

I truly believe scratch cooking is quickly becoming a lost art.
Dd really doesn't like to cook, but I really want to pass on to her what my Mother and Grandmother taught me. I don't think I'm just doing this for me; because I love to cook I want her to love it also. I think cooking for your family is another way of letting them know how important and loved they are by you.

Just my two cents worth.

*~* Debbie *~*
Old 03-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well Debjo...if there is no fast food in the house, and they want to eat.....the only way to eat is to cook.....*grin*

Sit down and show them in black and white dollars and cents how much money is saved just by cooking....explain cooking in batches and freezing...In fact I did my soup batches this week because the weather has been cold and damp..... Freezing home made "TV" dinners are not only cheap but sooooo much better tasting......*smiling*

Jeannie in Tx
Old 03-13-2002, 12:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello Ladies

I'm just putting in my 2 cents while surfing the web tonight LOL's I totally agree with you. All kids should learn to cook. I have 3 kids. Jacob 11 years, Michael 7 years, and Kellie 2 years. They all help or get training in the kitchen. My oldest already can fix breakfast by himself, and cook simple items for lunch and dinner, He also helps me bake. (I bake for our store so he helps). Michael also helps. He's good right now with prep work, Starting to learn how cook on the stove. Even my 2 year old gets in to the act sometimes. (She turned 2 on Jan.19, 2000) She has broken greenbeans, stir the egg mixture for the french toast, Put banana slices in the bananana pudding. Some times it take a few minutes longer than doing it yourself. But these prerious monments are worth it. For someday they will be grown up like we are and be in there own kitchens. Alll we have is those presious loven menories we spent in the kitchen with our kids.

This be Tree

;-) ;-)
Old 03-13-2002, 09:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Treeeeee!! Yes! Yes! Yes!!!....my fondest memories are of being a child with my grandmother and cooking.....My kids all turned out to be good in the kitchen....Those few extra minutes bring hours of joy...and memories that can't be duplicated....When my kids were all old enough to be able to manage stove and or oven....Once every 3-4 months....they would have to prepare breakfast lunch and supper for one day...... they had 3 months to come up with a menu....and I would alot money saved by doing things at home, to that project. .....It was the greatest fun to see all of them soooooooo busy setting the table....cooking...preparing etc etc. We videotaped one whole day of them cooking.......and the great thing is that there is sound and they explain what they are doing just like on all the chelf shows on tv........my kids each have a copy....and they told me not so long ago, they watch it often......*g* I made them each a chef's apron.....and hats [using a sailor's cap as a base]

If you want to reap the rewards of your time spent in the kitchen with your kids...plan one of these.....summer is good because they are all home...... but the rule is....everything from scratch..

Hope this inspired some of y'all to "Sing in the Kitchen"

Singin' in the kitchen in TX
Jeannie

Last edited by Jeannie; 03-13-2002 at 09:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm very new to this board, so I have no idea if anyone will respond to this message since no one has written in months! But I wanted to say that I've gotten a lot of great ideas from reading your posts! I'm a 'young' mother (26) and have a 21 month old ds and another on the way. I've been married for 4 years and didn't know how to cook when I got married! My dh thought we'd be eating hotdogs and mac n cheese or hamburger helper forever!! He's been so impressed by me lately! I have found a great produce& fruit place where you can get 3lbs of most things for $1 or $1.50! Since I pregnant I've been trying to eat healthier, so I've been making more things from scratch!
I was almost in tears when I was reading about your kids helping you in the kitchen! My mother, I love her, but she wasn't a good cook at all! She's a great baker, but when it comes to dinner . . . she's gotten better now, and her new husband actually does most of the cooking!
so anyway, with a little boy and another on the way it's good to hear about them helping in the kitchen, and I plan to make sure they are capable, so when they are older and getting married, they can help out, instead of sitting on their laurels in the living room!
Thanks for your advice and inspiration!!

My FC Member Awards!
<hr height=3 color=green width=95%>

Hey, I won!