Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-18-2002, 06:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sorry I forgot how fruit does when frozen. But there still the veggie.

This be Tree
Old 02-18-2002, 07:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Saving on Milk

Hi there:

I don't actually drink a lot of milk, and I live alone, so it's not as hot an issue for me as it is for you gals, but I've found that it's way cheaper to go to one of the local dairies and buy directly from them. I'm paying about $2.00 a gallon for whole milk, which I think is a pretty good price.

You may think there's no place around you where you can buy milk directly, but give it a try -- I live right outside of Albuquerque, and it never even occurred to me to "check out local dairies" -- I'm a city/suburban girl, I've never done that before. But there are two within five minutes' drive of my house (one is painted in a black and white "cow pattern," with the motto FROM THE MOO TO YOU, too cute!). And I swear it tastes better than the stuff I get in the stores!

Christina
Old 02-19-2002, 11:43 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for your suggestions Kimmyo!

Cmaris, the dairy is an excellent idea! Thank you! I am checking for dairies in our area. That would be nice!

I also called Costco (wholesale), but they don't carry lactose free milk. We used to have a membership, but they stopped carrying our formula and diapers, we let the membership go. Maybe it is time to try again for meats, fruits, cheese, etc.

We decided to test our 2 year old triplets to see if they can tolerate regular skim milk now. Our 3 year old drinks skim, and I'd rather just buy it for all if we can (less expense). We are on day 3, and they seem to be doing o.k. If this is the case, then I will have more options for buying milk wholesale or from a dairy.

Our grocery store had buy-one, get one free milk a couple of weeks ago. Now I wish we could freeze milk! But then that would just make alot of ice-cream!

I also tried my hand at baking bread with a mixer. It turned out great! (I've been unhappy with my bread maker results.) Now I plan to bake all my bread (for sandwiches, dinner etc.) from scratch.

Brayg, I'm not sure if it is cost-effective or if you have the time, but can you make your own low carb bread?

Well, I'm off to the grocery store...I have to go with my four toddlers since I didn't feel like going late last night. Let me grab that list!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:00 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Freezing Milk

Hi there Mommabear:

I was under the impression that you CAN freeze milk -- I've never done it, but I've read any number of times/places that you can. You're supposed to leave some room at the top, though, because it expands when it freezes.

Good luck!
Old 02-19-2002, 12:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't really know if it would be cost effective or not to make low carb bread. I guess I figured I'd have to buy a mix (don't even know where to BEGIN to make my own) and they are pretty expensive and I've only found them online. I'm starting to buy my family regular bread again and just have me eat the low carb stuff. We go through too much bread to have me buying it all at $2.50 a loaf.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:29 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a family of 5 that I shop for every 2 weeks. Myself, my husband, and my 3 sons...8, 2 1/2, and 1 1/2. My 1 1/2 year old eats about the same as my 8 year old, and my 2 year old eats like a bird. So realistically, I'm buying for a family of 4. This Friday is grocery day, and I'm trying something different this time. (well not entirely different...just something I haven't done in a while) I'm making a list. LOL!! I usually spend about $200 every 2 week shopping trip..with the milk, diapers, ect.. that you have to keep replenishing often, I would say I spend about $275-$300 max every 2 weeks. My goal is to get my bill down to $200 every 2weeks...making a list helped before, so I'm hoping it will help again.

I purchase my cleaning supplies, and other items through the company I work with, so the business I do from home pays for them, and I'm actually saving money too, so I don't count any of those things in my monthly budget.

I do however count my dog food in my budget...they have to eat just like us, so I figure that is about $25-30 a month...2 dogs. (1 Large, 1 small)

Anyway...I know there is a website that helps with organizing your home, is there a website that helps with budgeting??

Talk to you later
Kim
Old 02-20-2002, 03:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mom2threeboys
Anyway...I know there is a website that helps with organizing your home, is there a website that helps with budgeting??
Hi Kim

THIS website has budgeting articles
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/dir/Finance/
Old 02-20-2002, 03:58 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by mommabear
Our grocery store had buy-one, get one free milk a couple of weeks ago. Now I wish we could freeze milk! But then that would just make alot of ice-cream!
Oh but you can! In fact we had an entire thread on this subject a week or so ago. And you don't have to remove any milk from the bottle, there's enough room in there for the expansion. It takes a couple of days to thaw in the fridge, someone said overnight in the sink, though the thought of leaving milk out, frozen or not, makes me whoozy. LOL ;-)
Old 02-20-2002, 09:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

blushing budgeting

Hi Y'all...*s*

Budgeting takes some common sense too. If all you young mommies would buy cloth diapers you'd save tons of money....save the disposables for when you go visiting or go on vacation. In fact you'd probably save enough money in a year to treat yourselves to a family vacation. *g* Make your own baby food with a blender.....*g* My kids have never eaten anything from a jar of baby food. It's amazing how much money you will save and it is truly wholesome...*s*- And yes you can freeze milk, I used to do it all the time.... *s* I also did a lot of batch cooking and froze meals...even back 40+ years ago. I baked bread, made ice cream, which was a treat for the kids, ..treats were home made or fresh fruit. I bought potato chips once a year for birthday parties. Those items really add up.

Just remember, that you can make the fast food better and a lot cheaper....than going through the the drive thru'....you'll save more than half the cost. *g* To this day, my son, aged 33 will not eat fast food.... Pizza is something we made on weekends.
It is a lot of fun to get the kids involved...We'd make Large pizzas, 10x15.....cut,wrap and freeze. They would just pop a frozen piece in the oven whenever they wanted.. For what you pay for one delivered pizza, I can make 3 .....see? *s*

The extra to all this is that the kids learn to cook too. That was part of the deal....each, boy and girl, learned to cook, sew on a button and iron a shirt and do laundry, change and make a bed and do all the other chores. It was done then and it still can be done. *s*

Once a month we took the kids to a good restaurant, not a fast food one. They learned to order from a menu and taste a variety of cuisines. This way they acquire the confidence and the knowledge. At least once a year we took them to a play. This is also possible in rural areas. But that's another subject... I hope some of these old ideas will help y'all......*s*

Jeannie in Tx
Old 02-20-2002, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great input Jeannie in TX!