Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:45 PM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Tree! Personally, I don't count anything I get for free. I just either use that "free" amount and put it towards another bill or next months budget. Or use it to start building up my pantry.
Old 02-14-2002, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks I know what I could use the money for. The boys are in cubscouts. They want to go on the field trip Space camp in AL. It cost $159.00 a person. For 3 days and 2 nights. Me and the boys were figureing how we could get the money this would be a big help on part of it. Thanks for the help.

This be Tree
Old 02-16-2002, 09:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm new to the boards, and would love to know how everyone gets their grocery bills so manageable. I have a family of six and our grocery bill is about $800 per month

Our biggest expenses are lactose free milk (only available in 1/2 gallon containers) at $3.32 x 30 days = $100.00 per month and diapers (which thankfully we will be out of soon). x three toddlers.

I have recently set-up an excel program to help track our grocery expenses and cost comparisons. I've also set-up a weekly meal plan so that we are purchasing food that isn't on the plan.

My children are only toddlers, but my 3.5 year old son eats more than his father (He isn't overweight, just growing very fast!)

We purchase fresh fruit, frozen vegetables, and canned items so that we aren't running to the store every couple of days. (Those little purchases can add up quickly.) We eat moderate meals (meat loaf, spaghetti, chicken & dumplings), so we aren't purchasing fancy food items. I do count cleaning items, etc. in our budget.

I would love some advice on how others are making their budget so reasonable.

Thanks, MommaBear
Old 02-17-2002, 01:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Mommabear.

I reading your post. Are you talking about soy milk. If so have you try to find a dry bulk store near you that sale in pounds. It should be cheaper then buying the containers. I know any milk of any sort is high. but I hope this of help. I know we have it in our store and we save our customers some money from the health food store prices.

This be Tree
Old 02-17-2002, 04:25 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone I also have a 6person household. We get groceries every two weeks except for the Milk run which usual totals $20.00. Thats where I feel I need help with. On average I try to keep gorceries under $200 every two weeks. Kids are sdd13, dd12, sds11, and dd4 Everyone thinks they should have lots of snacks. If Aldi's had not come into town my grocery bill would be higher yet. I usually shop at 4 different stores every time I get groceries Two of them are the Expensive type so I buy sale items only. All paper products, cleaning and toilitries are purchased at WalMart and everything else is at Aldi's. I work full time but try to bake at least 2 times a week and make as much as possible from scratch. I just purchased a storage container this grocery trip so I can make and keep my own master mix. I got tired of buying bisquik (generic) and pancake mix (generic). We go through alot of both here alot. Oh I forgot to tell you all of the stores mentioned above our about 1.5 miles down the street. So it isn't a big $$ for gas. If anyone has any ideas how to limit $ spent on Milk trips let me know.

Sue
Old 02-17-2002, 04:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sue Ann, I only have one big milk drinker so I don't have the problem you have, but have you considered using dry milk with the whole milk? I know some people who mix it half and half and some who only use dry milk. I use dry and canned milk for cooking and baking only.

Mommabear, make sure you are always using a menu plan and ALWAYS shop with a list. It's amazing how much of a difference this can make in your overall food bill. Try using a price book (see thread on Price Books) this can help too.

Can you buy in bulk? (Be careful here as its not always a better value). I shop once a month at Sams and buy some items in bulk. I know some of the items I buy aren't cheaper but if it keeps me out of the store longer I think in some ways that saves me too! LOL.

Keep the pantry stocked and be flexible! If you have spaghetti on the menu and somehow forgot to buy the noodles..DON'T run to the store for noodles! Because then you'll remember you need milk and oh yeah lets have some of those bread sticks too and oh lets have some....and on and on and on !!! Search your pantry for some other kind of pasta or change the menu all together.

Hope this helps some!
Old 02-17-2002, 06:14 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by kimmyo
If you have spaghetti on the menu and somehow forgot to buy the noodles..DON'T run to the store for noodles! Because then you'll remember you need milk and oh yeah lets have some of those bread sticks too and oh lets have some....and on and on and on !!!
What a very true statement and an excellent point!!
Old 02-17-2002, 06:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm always looking for ways to reduce my grocery bill. Our local store doubles coupons up to 50 cents everyday. They are a bit pricier than the other stores, but with the double coupons, I usually get things cheaper there...as long as I don't buy other things that aren't on sale.

My big question is I'm on a low carb diet. I feed my family basically the same things as I eat (I can't make them something different--time consuming plus I won't stick to my diet if I did that), so I cannot go buy the cheap things like noodles/pasta, potatoes, make things with bisquick, pancake mix, etc. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies (expensive), meats (expensive), low carb bread which is $2.50/loaf...etc... Anyone else here do this? Anyone have any good tips? I only really buy meat on sale, they NEVER put the bread on sale :mad: and the veggies/fruits I try to buy as much as I can while on sale, but can't stock up too much because they will go bad eventually. *sigh*
Old 02-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hello You could freeze the vegetable and fruit. When you find them on sale.

This be Tree
Old 02-18-2002, 05:17 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, I could, although I find that when I buy frozen veggies in the bag, oftentimes they are cheaper than the fresh (like broccoli for instance) and I buy the fresh stuff for actually eating raw--like veggies and dip.

When you say I can freeze fruit, though, what are the uses for it once it's thawed? I guess I thought it was only to make things with it like desserts, which I wouldn't be doing. The fruit I do eat, like grapes, apples and oranges, are also to be eaten "fresh" kwim?

Thanks for the suggestions, though. I did a grocery shop yesterday and had quite a few coupons. I'd say I saved $20.00 just in coupons...not to mention the sale prices on top of that.