Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I was doing much better a couple of years ago than I am doing now. I've fallen into the trap of bringing a toddler to the store and buying things "not on the list."
Also, my 12 year old DS is eating more, so I am seeing an increase proportional to his new appetite
I don't see a reason I can't keep my food, cleaners, "health & beauty aids" and paper goods budget under $75 a week for 5 of us if I REALLY try. So that is my goal for the next month. I'm not including diapers in that total; my 2 year old appears to be starting to toilet train himself so I'm hoping to eliminate those altogether SOON!
Old 08-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I went to www.kraftfoods.com today and planned a menu for 5 dinner meals and then I printed a shopping list from that. I was able to cross off a few items I already had in my freezer and pantry and went shopping. I spent $38.00 at the super wal-mart for my 5 meals for 4 people. I had to spend a little more than I would like but I was out of some things I normally would have in the pantry. All in all I am pleased though. I will make it to the weekend and even have leftovers for lunch.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

barbszy I am just curious what you are including in this $75 budget. Does this include cleaning supplies? pet food? laundry supplies? I buy almost all my supplies of this nature at wal-mart or the dollar store except my pet food and pets eat prescription diet food from their vet.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

$75 includes meat, milk, groceries, cleaning supplies, paper goods. We have no pets except one fish and he costs about $1 a month to feed....It does not include "medical" stuff like DH's Lactaid pills.

I "blew" that budget the other day at ShopRite when I got enough meat to make us at least 16 meals, all at once! But it was a good price and I shouldn't have to buy more meat for a good while. So I think it will even out over the course of the month. It was so weird! All the meat we usually eat was on sale in the same week!
Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Barbzy, what a deal!! None of the stores around here have had any good meat sales at all. Lol--we've been eating a lot of fish bought cheap at Sav-a-lot!!

I'll be saving a bit on our budget this month--a neighbor gave me a box of borax and a box of washing soda that he got from someone else and didn't know what to do with. Then my mom had brought me a big economy-size pack of Suave bath soap that someone had given her. So I have the makings for lots of hm laundry soap lol!! Hehe--even dh was happy about that one--he's always used Tide because that's what his mom used. He didn't know I was using something else until about a month ago when I got sick and he was helping with the housework. Of course, then I had to give instructions on what each hm cleaner was used for . Now I've labeled each one with most of it's uses and he cracks up when he sees the difference in the prices!!
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow, I just found this thread, I love reading how all of you save $$$ on your grocery budget.

My grocery budget is $200.00 a month for a family of 6. DS 18, DS 16, DS 11 and DD 19 months old and Dh who still eats like a teenager. LOL. It takes work, but it can be done.

First off, I get WIC for my DD. I cook almost everything from scratch. I usually bake about 6-10 loaves of bread a week ( with 2 teen boys and one that eats like one, what more can I say?) I make whole wheat bread and I grind my own flour, so I know that they are eating healthy food.

We have our own chickens and usually sell enough eggs to get all we want for free. Although we have been vegetarians for years, we have recently started eating home raised chicken. A friend raises chicken and we get it from her. The boys help her butcher and she send them home with chicken. It ends up being a great deal.

We have a huge garden and I do a lot of canning. I bulk buy from a co-op and a mill. And like most of you, I shop sales with coupons. I keep a well stocked pantry, so I mainly just shop loss leaders with coupons. When something I use goes on sale, I buy enough to last until the next " lowest price sale" For example, SWM has Bushes chilli beans on sale for .10 a can, well, we eat a lot of chilli bean, so we bought 180 cans. Needless to say, I have not had to pay full price on chilli beans for a few years now. LOL.

Of course this is all possable because I am a SAHM. There is no way I could do all this if I had to work out of the home. I think all of you moms who work and still keep a low grocery budget are AWESOME.

We also have goats and get fresh milk for most of the year. When we are not milking we use powder milk. Believe it or not, my kids actually drink it.

Sorry, I hope I have not bored you to death.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:19 PM
FamilyCorner Senior Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jeannie I just read a post you posted a couple of years back about the children learning to cook, make a bed, order from a menu, learn to do the laundry etc.

When I was growing up we never had potato chips. My granny made our potato chips and they were so much better than what you get in the store today!!! The first time I had pizza it was homemade and I watched in amazement as my mom made this wonderful concoction!! Awesome!!!!

I made sure both of my boys knew how to cook, make a bed the proper way, do laundry, how to order off of a menu in "nice" restaurant, conduct themselves in situations where military protocol was called for. (This would be in civilian term...something like a coming out ball, formal evening where the men are in tuxes and women are in evening gowns, etc.) I figured if I exposed them to the formal aspect of military affairs then they would be able to handle civilian formal affairs. My boys can bake cookies and cakes from scratch. They also know how to be romantic. I made sure that they know that to win a woman is wonderful, but you must also continue to "woo" that same woman.

Both of my ddil's have thanked me on more than one occasion.

I feel that my boys gained alot by knowing how to do all of these things including how to clean a house when your wife is ill. It was important to me that they know these things for their own sake and for their future wives. I was not about to send my sons out in the world and onto some poor unsuspecting girl being completely ignorant of how to do the simplest things!!!

They both live on a budget, too!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

I am amazed at the amount of many of the food budgets. My family average is $100-$150-per week/monthly. That includes school lunches. My husband is a fireman/paramedic and works 24hour shifts. He tends to eat out alot. He takes food to work, but it must be for at least 3 meals. I take my lunch to work and at the most eat out once weekly. I am realizing that much of my problem is convience pkg foods. I do have a vegetable garden/not much now, and have chickens for my eggs. I am really working on budgeting and meal planning. My husband just found out that as of Oct. 1 he no longer has a job after 9years.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

MrsManiac,

Youd you please tell me how to make my own baking mix please. I do use the store brand instead of Bisquick but if I could save a few pennies there it would surely help.
I dont really know how much we spend a week for groceries. I know it is too much. Sometimes or I really should say rarely do I plan a menu. We usually go day for day. I do though buy extra items when they are on sale. Like Best food mayo, tuna, soda pop even cookies and crackers. We are big on soda but no so much so on cookies and crackers so they usually last awhile. Jackie
Old 09-16-2004, 07:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Here are 2 recipes.. for bisquick mix:

8 1/2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 Tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cup instant nonfat dry-milk
2 1/4 cups vegetable shortening

Sift together all dry ingredients into a large bowl. Blend well. With pastry blender, cut in shortening. Mixture should resemble corn meal in texture.

~~~~

Here's another:

Ingredients:
10 C. Flour
3/8 C. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1 1/4 C. Powdered Milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. Salt
1/4 C. Sugar
1 lb. Crisco shortening

Preparation:
Mix all together and store in an airtight container. This will last approximately a month. You can cut this recipe in half. Use as you normally would use Bisquick

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."