Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-12-2002, 04:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
How long does it take you to do the weekly grocery shopping?

Im finding that if I plan meals and then make a list, go to the store-in this case 3 stores to get the best prices and drag a 4yr. old with me, it takes me the better part of a day to get everything done.

What are your suggestions to cut corners and save some time?

Tami
Old 09-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The best solution would be to go by yourself with your list. I know that most people can't do this, but that is the only real way to get in and out without disruption.

I should be the last one to talk though When I go into a store, I always stop to say hello, I know just about all the workers in my store from going there just about EVERY day... yes I said every day. :p

I could save a fortune if only I can stop going daily and go just 3-4 times a week or even if I make it once a week, I'd be a billionaire...
Old 09-13-2002, 03:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Tami....I shop bi-weekly because thats how we get paid here.

I make my menus out from the sale papers and what I have on hand in my pantry. Then I make my list and I generally spend 3 hours shopping. I shop at 3 stores to get the loss leaders and the best prices.

Because I plan this shopping trip into my schedule I don't let it stress me (about the time) and it does not interfere with anything else.

I have to agree with shawn though that you will save time and money if you shop alone.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:20 AM

I agree. I usually go in the evening. Then dh is forced to put the kids to bed.

Otherwise, if you have to take a child along, I would pick the two stores with the best bargains. (Or in the winter, I would just go to one.) Your time is worth money, too.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

It usually takes me 45 mins or less to grocery shop. I have a list, coupons, bottle returns, and the stores grocery ad too. I send my son to get his lunch stuff, and easy things to find, ketchup, coffee, eggs, and so on. I always tell him to look for the best value. He had a 9 week class on this last year, and one of there classes they went shopping. So he does great! I also have my son take the pop cans to the machine and I let him keep the money. Today he received $1.40 Now I have DH, he is the produce man, (managed a produce years ago) so that is his job.I retrive the rest of the items, dairy, meat, bread, soaps, coffee, etc. So it all gets done quickly and we all had a part. This works for my family. Now if I am sick...my son knows he better go or Dad will buy weird things???? DH tends to buy red meat, cheddar cheese, bratewurst, bacon, pork....that is it,all meat! lol

janet
Old 09-15-2002, 05:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It takes me about 2 hours to shop & I also shop bi-weekly. But, before that, It takes me awhile to figure out my menu's (I search through cookbooks to find nutritious but frugal meals) get my coupons together and my list. I drop the kids off at school (my littlest one finally went last year ) and then take off. I really try hard to get the best prices & usually spend $200 every 2 weeks for the 6 of us. Very rarely do I go over that & it includes all my paper products, soaps, cleaners etc. Some of my friends spend $200 a week for 4 of them AARRGGHH!!!!! We always eat really good sit down dinners & I bake constantly. It's rough going on grocery day but I always feel so satisfied when I'm home & everythings done & I can sit & read a minute before my wonderful children come home.
Old 09-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

grocerys

i too shop biweekly actullay the fistt of the month i shop once big but my wal_mart stuff on way home from work on friday thats my household items i buy in bulk it lasts most hte month i ge the 24 rolls of tissue 6 or 8 pack paper towels shampoo conditioner 2 bottles washing liquid 1 large bottle dishliquid cleaneres that i need i buy when i run out about 2 months i do buy iif a store runs my rpoduct on sale i pick up a cuople use cuopons too. then on saturday morning i go early to beat the crowds leave kids home if possible use family or friends to sit older kids can stay home i keep list of fridge and write things down as i get low i never run out of anything if i get half a bottlew i put on list things i use a lot i buy when i get to one in pantrythe foirst trip at the first of month i usully spend 200 for me and daoughter then the biweekly check i replenish out items or something we just want and get sodas and her lunch stuff and snack stuff usuallyless than 25-50 depending if we are having a special event or something or a store runs a sale i wan to stock up on this worksd for me cuz i hate goin to sotres and saturdays and sundays ae my days to clean and enjoy myself my sotre trip usaully take abotut 1-2 hours and an hour too put away i buyin bulk and seperate meats into portions hope this helps!!
Old 09-15-2002, 12:13 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Do you have a friend with a young child, too? How about she watches your child when you shop, and then you watch her's and your own while she shops?

By the age of 4, my kids were pretty much human beings in the supermarket. I know not everyone can do this, but I would always let my kids 'hold something" while in the store, which they understood they agreed to put back before checkout. Sometimes, it'd be a book or ot, other times, foodstuffs. I never bought junky-cereals, but my son liked to look at the boxes. This worked in Wal-Mart type stores, too. The rule was if you handle it properly and give it up at the end of shopping with no fuss, you get to do it again next time.
Rani
Old 09-18-2002, 05:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

I have FINALLY got it down to going every 2 weeks. It is just my DH and myself, but sometimes he can be worst than when I took all 3 kids to the store. (He likes his goodies He loves to try new things too. He NEVER complains what I spend, so I never say anything. We usually spend about 3 hours in the store, as I am a coupon shopper . Plus, I have more time than money,so try and get the best deal. I agree with the others as to going by yourself. You definately can save more money. I have to have someone take me, as since my stroke have not been able to drive. I am not complaining though, as we enjoy going together. Pam
Old 09-18-2002, 05:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Shawn...Thanks so much for fixing things for me. It helped tremendously. Now, have another question.....I went to sent you a private message, and got a message that I had things turned off???? Can you help me here? Thanks Pam

LOVE THIS SITE!!!!