Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-19-2002, 06:29 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I actually save time and money by shopping with my kids. I tend to brouse more and spend more money when I go shopping by myself.
Old 09-21-2002, 05:44 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone........just thought I'd post my 2 cents. I too, used to run all over town and I have a 2yo and 3 yo. Recently I have been taking copies of the other store prices with me to 1 store. They have honored them all, saving me from going all over town!!
Teresa
Old 10-05-2002, 09:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I plan my menus monthly. This is based on a calendar of our activities for the month (nights DH teaches, cheer practicies, band, clubs, weekend activities, etc.). I make a list of what's in the pantry, fridge, and freezer. Then I get out my old months of menus, and my cookbooks. I try to plan breakfasts and dinners based on what we have and what everybody likes. I could do this in an hour, but I usually stretch it out through the length of an entire movie, which is more like two hours. That averages out to only 30 minutes per week.

Each weekend I re-evaluate the plan for the upcoming week. Sometimes we have a change in plans for dinner (got a free pizza coupon last week, so we had pizza instead of spaghetti) and I can reschedule that dinner since I already have the groceries. I cut out coupons and file them. I look at the week's sale ads in the Sunday paper. This takes about another 15-30 minutes. So I'm up to an hour before I set foot in the store.

Grocery shopping is something I generally do by myself. I compare prices, I use coupons, I add as I go. It's much less stressful to go by myself. Occassionally my daughter wants to go, so she helps me. I'd like to teach my stepsons the same stuff she is learning, but I don't think they are ready or interested. A trip to Tom Thumb or WalMart takes me about 90 minutes if I go by myself. If my daughter goes to WalMart with me, I add half an hour to the plan (we have to look at Mary Kate and Ashley everything!). So now I'm up to 2.5 hours, plus driving time to and from the store.

Everyone who is home helps bring the groceries in the house. I prefer to put it all away myself, that takes about another 15 minutes.

That adds up to about 3 hours a week for grocery shopping. All the prep work saves me lots of time and money later though.

When I used to shop without all the prep work, it took me about 15 minutes to make a list, about an hour to shop, and I usually made a second trip later in the week for something else. I also spent way more money!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:25 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm usually an hour and a half (start to finish), and that's if I'm only contending with a one-stop shop.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:26 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Would like to add that, I prefer shopping bright and early in the morning, before the crowd hits, or later in the evening when everything has settled down.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member

Only shop once a week with my ds, so make sure to make a list what is on sale. He has his own list so don't have to worry what he needs.The list always includes the basics, plus fish, chicken, chop meats. Always include plenty of fruits & vegetables. Like to go in the middle of the week so it is less crowded. Usually takes at least two hours plus bringing groceries in and putting away. I use my credit card for the rewards for double savings. Buy things I need at Lowe's with the perks I get from their card. Have loads of beautiful flowers and trees to show for grocery shopping.
________
Sueanne

Old 09-30-2014, 06:35 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I end up at Walmart and Aldi's and I am done in about 1 and 1/2. Dh goes to Walmart Sams and Hyvee
Mish
Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Love it, Sueanne! That's what I call making shopping work FOR YOU!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I shop weekly, usually two but sometimes three stores. Takes me 1 1/2 hr. generally. DH goes to store at least twice a week for odds and ends. It's not things that are needed or I had planned for, just a fun thing for him. Boy not me. At least I have gotten him to mostly shop at Aldi's.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:40 AM
Nine Year Member

We do the groceries once a week or so, usually for milk and sometimes bread.
Takes us about an hour in the store, but another hour to get there and back and unload.

If we can double up and do household errands and goodwill dropoffs at the same time, it is a bonus.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."