How do you organize your grocery list? - Page 4 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 01-25-2003, 02:15 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Airforcewife

Hi,thanks for the tip,i believe we have word on here,never used it though,might have to get into it and see,boy you must have him doing right,since he can go to the store evry sat.for groceries,that's great!even if I wite down every little detail to my hubby,like what aisle something is in,name ,what it is,even brand,and price roughly,he still just grabs of the shelf,not caring about sixe brand name or store name or anything!so usually i only send him forlittle things of necc.,we are out of milk,bread,etc.

then i go shopping usually with 4 kids,sometimes only 2 girls though and get everything else,feel it's easier,especially on me
then to have to go over everything with him&listen to him whine
aboutit!Even tried taking him shopping a couple of times,thinking if he sees,then maybe he'll do,but worse than the 4 kids put together,i turn my back or go down another aisle to find all kids of goodies in the cart,cookies,cakes,pizza,etc.!

the 2nd time we took him shopping with us,he says about getting
a small box of cereal,it ws a sugary kind,it was like almost $$4
so i look at my 5 year old son& say tell your dad about the grocery store&he says what?&I told my son tell your dad what I usually am telling you when you whine for something.
And my 5 y/o looks at his dad& says"If it's not on sale,then you can't get it!After that he has never went shopping with us,oh he did go a couple more times,but sat in van&waited for us to come out! 4moms
Old 01-25-2003, 02:48 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Someone mentioned using less meat and more filler such as cracker, oatmeal etc. I find grated carrots to be a great filler for anything with a tomato base like chili, spagetti, sloppy joes etc. No one ever knows its there and if your family is anything like mine I am always glad to get more veggies into them!
Old 01-25-2003, 02:53 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Too funny 4moms. He also spends no more than $50 a week. That is our weekly grocery budget for the 4 of us. He got to experience what it was like taking the kids to the commissary by himself once and that was enough for him to offer to do it for me every week. Our dd was very tiny, very demanding, and very loud back then. So I have to give her some of the credit for making Daddy such a good helper. I did have to teach him how to unit price items and buy what's cheaper. But now it's printed on a label on the shelf so he doesn't have to carry my calculator. He is awesome and I love him to death. I'm still laughing at your hubby sitting out in the van.

Since you have so many to take to the store with you I'd give them each a list and make a game of finding what's the least expensive or what's on sale. If they are old enough this is a great thing to teach them.

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-25-2003, 03:08 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Airforcewife

Hi!Nice to meet you&talk to you.hubby did stay in van once with 4 kids,while I went in store alone & came back to a van of kids telling me dady yelled at them & he turned the radio station & etc.,etc, and hubby saying next time you take them in with you!

the kids do do a good job at store,I have a reward point card,from our local shop-n-save,about 1o-15 min. away from home here.my 5 year old loves to help the girls at checkout,bag the groceries 7 they always ask him if he wants to stay & help them bag to work there,2 weeks ago,he told 1 of the girls at checkout,that when he grows up he is going to work here& bag everyone's groceries,and I'm standing there thinking Oh ya keep on dreaming about your future there!(nothing that there's nothing wrong with working at a grocery store)But he is not even in school yet!!!

Both him & his sister have red hair,so they are always topic of dicussion ,even at grocery stores!
Lately I worry about him knocking down the whole shelf or bin ,trying to get something down!
My oldest son ,knows alot where things are in store,sometimes i send him in for just like 2 things,he helps me out,but not too excited about it,like my 5 year old.
4 moms
Old 08-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I organize the list by the layout of the store that I will b shopping at. This just makes it so fast!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Nine Year Member

I have my coupons organized by the lay out of the store I shop mostly at. My list unfortuniately is writen as we find we're getting low or out of something so sometime I end up back tracking.

Roberta
Old 08-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have my list in an order tha works for me. It makes no sense to anyone else, but I know where to look at when I'm in the shop.
It is in my 'brain order'!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I can't use a list, I tend to find I miss loads lol

I usually go round the store and plan meals and buy that way and get what is on offer and make sure I have something to go with it for a meal. I try and buy in bulk too to keep the cost down
Old 04-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I sit down at home and organize my lists as 2 how the store is laid out....
Old 04-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Nine Year Member

I starting keeping a running list of things we are low of on the refrigerator. Then write what I'm buying on a used envelope in order of the stores layout so that has helped me stop the back tracking.

Roberta