Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 09-29-2002, 04:20 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Aldi's is a no-frills grocery store chain with cheap prices every day. The nearest Aldi's is 30 miles from us. Right now we only have one grocery store in our town but another one will be opening soon. Heard that it will either be an Aldi's or a Sav-A-Lot. I'll be happy with either one just so long as there is another grocery store nearby. Check their website to see if there is one located near where you live. They seem to be selling more name brand products then they used to sell.
Old 09-29-2002, 04:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I looked in the Greater Acadiana phone book and did not find an Aldi's.

We do, however, have a Save-a-Lot about 10 miles from here. I went there once.....shortly after we moved here 2 and 1/2 yrs ago. The place was so filthy that I didn't buy a thing!
Old 10-02-2002, 07:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Sorry Abear!! I looked up your location on the Aldi website and they don't show any stores in LA!!! They're only in the Midwest and the East. None in the west or TX or LA! I think everyone needs to have an Aldis in their town! lol

Pampered Chef Senior Consultant
Stacia's Kookin Korner

http://www.pamperedchef.biz/staciaskookinkorner

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Old 10-14-2002, 10:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Sue---

I just this summer moved from the Winston-Salem area (actually High Point but only a few minutes away) to Hooterville (Roanoke Rapids, NC) where they have never heard of an Aldi. We used to shop Aldi when we were stationed in Germany (where Aldi originated) and loved it. We were so excited to find one in Winston-Salem! In fact, there are TWO there. One is on Peter's Creek Parkway and the other is on University just up and across the street from where the old K Mart Super Center was located. My husband went back to Greensboro for job related training earlier this month and I sent a shopping list with him for Aldi! I am currently on a mission to get one lacated here and they are very receptive to my letters. If anyone wants an Aldi then I can provide you with the address of the person you need to contact. Just IM me (originalnagymom) or PM me on here.

Jayne

AKA

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 10-15-2002, 02:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We LOVE Aldi's! We do our stocking up there. Mainly on veggies. But we buy a ton of stuff there. Mainly the only thing we go to another grocery store for is the stuff we need name brand and meat and produce.
Old 03-01-2003, 06:03 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie
FamilyCorner Junkie

http://www.aldifoods.com/locations.asp

Visit there website...find more info about Aldi's

We have 3 in my area. My mom went there when they first opened; I was skeptical! I haven't had any problems with any of the products I've tried. Wait a minute, I don't care for their fresh oranges, well, not this time of year! LOL. A few of the cookies don't taste like the originals (oreo's) you can tell their an off brand, but then again, if you go to any grocery store and buy an off brand you can tell. So, if you want oreo's buy oreo's!!!

All the meat I've purchased I've liked.

Here's a good hint - the banana boxes and tomatoe flat boxes are very good. Banana boxes are strong. Tomato boxes are flat easily stackable!

It's nice how everyone is friendly when they offer you a quarter before you lock them back up!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 05:55 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

How does it compare...

Winston-Salem is farther than I'd like to drive, not quite as far as Raleigh though.

When I get the weekly specials for Winn-Dixie off of the internet they also have a Sav-a-lot logo on there...I would guess some kind of connection. Anybody know if it is similar pricing, just different store names?

Also, how does Aldi's compare to Super Wal-Mart? So far a lot of the loss leaders this year for the area grocery chains can't out-do SWally or Costco...except for Lowes Foods .45/lb fryers and Harris-Teeters .47/lb fryers a couple weeks ago!! (I have over 20 fryers in my upright... ).
“To be a mother is the greatest vocation in the world. No being has a position of such great power and influence. She holds in her hands the destiny of nations, for to her is necessarily committed the making of the nation’s citizens." —Hannah Whitall Smith
Old 03-04-2003, 02:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

O-mama , not sure where you are in the Piedmont (I used to live in High Point until last summer when we moved 3 hours north to just south of Virginia) but I wanted to let you know that there is an Aldi in Lexington as well as the 2 in Winston-Salem.

Aldi is a great store! They are small and therefore have limited selection but when you can pick up a good (their brand) stuffing for .59, their brand onion soup mix for .49, frozen lasagna for $1.99, canned veggies (again their brand) for .29 and canned soups for .39 it's well worth the trip! We buy the bagged salad there for .79 to .89/bag and cottage cheese for about $1.49. Our closest one is in Raleigh now and that's 1 1/2 hours away so when we go we also take in the Fresh Market and do lunch. Fresh Market is FAR from frugal but I figure it's a treat and I'm saving so much at Aldi, why not?

Jayne

Old 03-04-2003, 05:52 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

We're down in Snow Camp in southern Alamance...just barely within the GSO viewing area for news. ;-)

I actually do the majority of my shopping at the Super Wally in Siler City, and DH hits up the Costco in Durham on his way home, as well as any loss leaders en route.

I'll have to keep Aldi's in mind if I ever venture as far as W-S. Maybe we can stop there on a Northern Tool trip.
“To be a mother is the greatest vocation in the world. No being has a position of such great power and influence. She holds in her hands the destiny of nations, for to her is necessarily committed the making of the nation’s citizens." —Hannah Whitall Smith
Old 03-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ahhhh another tool fan! DH is a wood worker in his spare time--he does fabulous things with wood! He doesn't care for Northern Tool though--we were never able to find any great "deals" there but then we didn't hit it often.
So does someone at your house like wood working? I met a woman once who loved it and had a workshop in their garage! I'm fascinated watching it but not interested in the actual doing.

Jayne