Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Do kids get a say in Groceries?

I was reading this tip on ParentsConnect today - suggesting that kids should post their own grocery lists. It can teach them responsibility and help them feel like their food choices are being considered (we've all encountered a picky eater from time to time). It reminded me a bit of the lists kids make for Santa, except for the grocery store -

http://www.parentsconnect.com/tips/o...ery_list.jhtml

anyone already do this? does it work? do they forget? too much family democracy?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

i let my 5yo choose certain things, i should say give him choices. He's too young yet to get THAT much power
I do allow him to choose the 2 things & the drink for his snack days at school, because i know he'll make choices he & his friends will like (this month it was cheese & crackers & fresh fruit with Dole Fruit juices)
As far as cereal or treats, he gets a choice of one or the other.

I do empower him though during dinner decision time. I let him help me make the menu for the week & cook (within reason).

Old 04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I allow my kids to write things on the white board on the fridge where I keep my running list. However, they know that just because they ask doesn't mean they will get. They also know that it's more likely that they'll get something if it's on sale and I have a coupon.

I do try to honor their preferences; I ask them what kind of sandwich meat they want in their lunches each week; if a bunch of cereal is on sale I ask what kinds out of that group they would prefer.

But ultimately they have to eat what I buy.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow - it sounds like you have some good democracy going on in your kitchens. What about the clean plate club? I don't think that is a good idea - while it makes sense that parents should be conscious of the food choices their kids make, I think the "clean plate club" encourages over eating and not knowing your own body.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have 3 kids still home and they are 15,16 and 19. So yes they have say in things we eat and the grocery's I buy. I have a on going grocery list and Walmart list. So when things run out they all write on the list. I do a weekly dinner menu. I plan this around sports and activity schedules. They have a say in all that. But just because they want something doesn't always mean we buy it.

My 19 will buy stuff and bring home. He knows if you buy stuff you have to bring enough home from everyone and share.

The "clean plate club" I don't believe in. I agree with with Flutterby84 it encourages over eating and not knowing our body. I have learned thru the years every kid eats different and also the same eats different depending on the age and things going on in there life. I have always told our children to take small porstions. You can always go back for me. If I try something different we ask them to try a small amount and see if they like it.

Now that I have older kids we eat alot more experiemental recipes. I have 1 that won't eat very many veggies but she loves fruit.

Charlotte
Old 05-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Assistant Moderator

If the kids come shopping with me they can choose if I give them a pair to choose between, other wise they have what I buy. If they want to buy something specific it comes out of their own pocket money, but I know they won't waste their money.
Would I let them make their own grocery list, no.

I personally have never had any problems with clean plate policy, the trick is not to overload their plates to begin with, think about their age and what they do during the day, cleaning their plate won't do them any harm. Nothing wrong with my kids, no weight problems at all, but of course moderation is the key.
We even have the, eat dinner then you can have dessert policy. Of course if you can't eat dinner you don't get dessert which can be anything from yoghurt and fruit to cheesecake, and ice cream and pudding but these are all things I make and know the ingredients.

They love their fruit they love their veges.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Nine Year Member

I do allow my kids some choices at the grocery like others have said cereal, lunch meat, yogurt flavor, fruit of the week, etc.

Generally they get to pick which veggie is for dinner from a choice of 2-3 options.

Roberta
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My kids have always had a say. They all have different tastes. There is a list on the fridge and I always ask just before I go shopping. I will do my best to pick up what they ask for, but I always have the last word, as does the grocery shelves. I think it is important to include those you feed with imput, it makes them feel like they are an important part of the family.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Adam has gone to A F Basic now so he is not here but did give him choices between this or that. I also ask Steven 9 to name 2-3 things he would like me to get while at commissary and always it is Go-gurts and Chicken Shakeups BBQ lunchables. I then buy him something else I know he would like as a treat. He is a super picky eater.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Assistant Moderator

My kids have choices in dinner and I ask them what meat or veg would they like that night, we are not that regimented but, they don't get to make a list, different questions.