Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I keep an open list and try to make what they all like. I always keep hot dogs for anyone who really dislikes what we are having. With 5 different tastes I can't please them all but they know if they hate 1 thing I usually make something they love within a few days.I give them choices on things like lunchmeat, cheeses, yogurt and such

Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

My GKs are living with me. They get to help me plan menus from breakfast to dinner. However, the final say is up to me. Once the children tell me something they want on the menu, I will often ask them what ingredients as I will need to help them learn how grocery lists are made. I want the children to know they do have a say in what is prepared as long as the choices are healthy. I feel if they are taking part in the decisions, they are more likely to eat the food.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

My kids help plan menus and shopping lists. They also help with the cooking.

I do not believe in the clean plate club.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have always asked my kids if there was something they wanted at the store. I have always took my kids(if they wanted to)to the grocery store.

I have always asked my kids for meal ideas and to help me decide what side dishes they wanted.

Now that I only have 1 out of 4 home. She gets alot of what she wants!!!

Charlotte
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My kids (17 and 15) let me know if we run out of something. I know what each one likes and dislikes. Sometimes you have to eat something because everyone else enjoys it, and then tomorrow or the next day you will probably get your favourite. I try not to serve things that they REALLY dislike, but they are not too picky. They don't make the grocery list and if they want to cook dinner, then they can choose what they like best! There is an expectation they will eat what is served up (especially if they serve it) but there of course are times when that doesn't apply.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member

We have a whiteboard, paper, corkboard, clips etc on our fridge and if we run out of soemthing they know to put it there, or if they get a great coupon they clip it up until it gets into the coupon box, etc. So yes, I want their input!

When we shopped together we would go on missions, like one's mission would be to go compare the prices on the tortillas and pick the one they wanted most depending on price and desirability. We would meet back at the cart. Cell phones made this easier. Our grocery stores here...you could get lost in, sometimes I expected to see homeless people sleeping in the corners...

My kids are shoppers now, I just wish I could get them to do more coupons, but when they shop they do look for prices and bargains so that at least is good.

It'll be interesting in the next couple years as they venture out into apartments. I am accumulating basics for them, like well made pans, cutting boards, knives, and crockpots.

I did do menus and usually had the healthy choices around. They weren't picky eaters but instead would have runs on something, like one year it was salads, the next peas and corn, the next broccoli and kate, etc. So sometimes I would get bored!

So I would buy two new foods each week and we would try them, weird to us stuff like fennel, kale, broccolini, pomegranate, ugli fruit, just stuff that didn't fall into the peas, corn, apples, bananas category. We all had fun trying new things.

Not the clean plate club at all, made dinner times a whole lot more fun. I still think every child sent home from the hospital should also be sent with a suckling pig, and the pig would then get all the leftovers and rotten foods....then we'd have bacon and roasts we wouldn't have to buy, the ultimate in recycling...lol!

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I think that they should...
Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I always ask Judy 48, Adam 21 & Steven 11 (tho' he lives across the street) if they have anything special they would like me to pick up when at commissary. Like how many times a month they might want chicken in some way.