Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

View Poll Results: How do you save money on groceries?
Coupons 85 67.46%
Rebates 33 26.19%
Stock up on sale items 96 76.19%
I only shop with cash, no checks or cards 23 18.25%
I go alone, noone else to put things in the cart 23 18.25%
I shop more than one store to get deals 71 56.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I wonder if anyone knows that here in Naples, Fl. we pay higher prices for Fl. fruit & veggies than places they are shipped to ? We can even go to central Fl. & get those thing cheaper than here. The fields & all crops are here. We used to be able to go into the fields & pick what we needed at a low price but no more. They'd rather let it rot on the ground.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
I wonder if anyone knows that here in Naples, Fl. we pay higher prices for Fl. fruit & veggies than places they are shipped to ? We can even go to central Fl. & get those thing cheaper than here. The fields & all crops are here. We used to be able to go into the fields & pick what we needed at a low price but no more. They'd rather let it rot on the ground.
Sunshine04, Welcome to the forums. I think you'll find out that they are addicting!

I believe it. They want top dollar, or...by letting it rot, etc. They get to write it off as a "business loss".

btw........are you a member of any of the local freecycling groups?
There's Naples, Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Lehigh.........and Marco Island.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:23 PM
Nine Year Member

We used to glean the fields after the working day was over. We never asked permission but then these were fields rented from local farmers and not guarded or anything.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 02-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Don't belong to any recycleing groups. I recycle in our bins plus do a lot with materials & anything else I can make something nice out of something else. Also have a compost pile. Sure that's not what your talking about though. Nice to know someone is close to where I live.
Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Assistant Moderator

I actually don't mind taking the kids shopping with me and I make sure they at least go once in the school holidays. I think it that it's good to show them how much things cost, esp if it gets wasted for some reason they can see how many $$ are being put in the bin or compost, equate it to a toy or something. They also help to figure out if it cheaper to buy in bulk or per single serve, bulk is NOT always cheaper, you have to do the math.
I make sure that if we all go that it is after breakfast or lunch so that we have all had something to eat therefore don't buy extras.
We always have a list on the fridge, the list has to be written on, if you run out of deoderant and it's not on the list when I go shopping, you have to use your brothers as if it's not on the list it doesn't get bought.
I always say that I'm going shopping today is there anything you need? Sounds tough but they are pretty good at writing on the list now.
Don't have any grocery coupons here, so we have to watch the grocery leaflets that come out every week.
We have our own small vege patch mostly herbs though, same spot in garden all year round.

FYI, in the shops here we get imported navel oranges from the US even though we grow them 2 states down ??

Old 02-27-2006, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member

Same here with the list on the fridge, and they need to write down a brand if that is important. And then they wait for the coupon to arrive...

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I use coupons but do not save nearly as much as when we lived in the midwest. There, the coupons were doubled and here, thay are only face value. Kinda discouraged me from even wantin got use coupons at all but even a little saved is better than nothing.
I wish we had a super walmart here.
hugs, train
Old 05-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Nine Year Member

I try to use coupons, but my dd and I always forget to take them with us or we forget we have them-I try to keep them in my hand when I go into the store. Another way-a couple of the grocery stores have buy1, get1 free specials-if it works out cheaper than Wal~Mart sells it for then I get it (usually ice cream)I can save a good $20-$30 that way, at those stores. Also, Wal~Mart will honor competitive ads within a 50 mile radius-you need the ad paper with you though (not just the ad for the item, but the whole paper-so they can see it's a current ad) Wal~Mart does not do buy 1, get 1 free though.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Head Moderator

Depending on how many coupons you save, I keep mine in a coupon wallet in my purse. I used to keep them in a tupperware large bread keeper that sat right in the baby seat of my shopping cart! I never have ahd a problem remembering them as I love to save money! LOL

Old 05-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Nine Year Member

I make my grocery list on the back of a recycled envelope and stick what coupons I know I'm going to use in it. I store my coupons in marked recycled envelopes geared to the isles to the store I frequent the most. And I'm able to stick it into my purse when I go to the store to add coupons to any unadvertised specials. The store I shop most at has a lot of unadvertised specials so I walk the isles looking for the sale tags for anything I might need/want that is a really good price with the coupons I have.

Roberta