Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

View Poll Results: How do you save money on groceries?
Coupons 85 67.46%
Rebates 33 26.19%
Stock up on sale items 96 76.19%
I only shop with cash, no checks or cards 23 18.25%
I go alone, noone else to put things in the cart 23 18.25%
I shop more than one store to get deals 71 56.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Nine Year Member

I just had $7.57 refunded to me by checking my register tape and bringing two wrong prices on three items to the attention of customer service. Using Kroger's price guarantee they gave me the money for the two items and the price difference on the duplicated third item.

I carry my coupons with me saving any that I might use and by doing this I was able to get 2 pair of hose for free. I found Leggs & Nonsense in the clearance carts for $.99 and had $1 & $.55 which was doubled up to $1 with me.

Roberta
Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta - good job checking your register tape. That's something I always forget to do.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:28 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta, good to see you were right on the ball. I know a lot of times we assume the receipt is correct because a machine does it.

You just proved we can't take anything for granted. Machines make mistakes too.

I just took a class in nutrician(sp.). And one of the things that was pointed out to us was that we tend to cook too much food each meal. This encourages people to overeat.

So I'm going to cook less, thereby making 2 meals out of the same amount of food.

Hopefully the smaller portions will help us lose a little weight. As well as save money.

Maryann

We learn lessons in the school of suffering
that we can learn in no other way.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Maryann~

Yes from all I read and hear we as Americans eat way to large of portions, thus spending too much on food...I too am trying to make what was once 1 meal for the family into 2 meals... but finding it slow in the going, because the rest of them need to shrink their stomachs....(inside and out) mine was shrunk due to illness. Sooooo.... another trick I have discovered, and I am hoping between that and summer heat, by the fall, they will have a smaller appetite (sp), try to make each person set their fork/spoon down between each bite, then have them do that and chew atleast 15 (preferrably 20 times), this gives the brain time to catch the signals from the stomach, I am still trying to make a game of this... may have to make it a competition to really get it to work without me standing there... LOTS of veggies is another $$ saver...I always check the MGRS. specials and check the frozen veggie sales... fill them with salad and veggies.... if they ask for seconds they get veggies or salad. My 13yr old even asks for salad for desert (now that he knows that sweets are limited)
Saving $$ at the stores, and calories at home....what a Sweet deal!!

Roberta...Good going!! I had a register that was messed up, and a cart full of deals... was a big mess, but the cashier had me take the reciept to the courtesy booth, and I walked out with $17- and change in my pocket...(or should I say back in my pocket)

Sue~
Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Watch Register Receipts Everywhere

In regards to double checking register receipts at grocery stores. Well make sure you check all register reciepts. I live in NC and one of our discount chain stores is known for having things ring up higher than the shelf/listed price. My uncle works for the state and he goes around and shops in stores and checks their checkouts for accuracy. This one Major STORE Chain does not care that it is going on and after the third time my uncle threatened to close their doors the management told him that only 1 in 10 people come back and complain. Think about it if each item is overpriced by 1 cent x how many items sold just how much extra money that makes them. I check all my receipts and keep up with prices in my head till checkout. I am forever catching mistakes. I try to avoid shopping at this major chain due to their attitude my uncle was irate. Hint: Its not Walmart or Target and Martha Stewart is on every shelf.

Deidra
Old 06-16-2005, 12:29 PM
Nine Year Member

On my price errors, I was at the store Tuesday night 11:00 pm and went back Wednesday afternoon 12:30 pm the cheese's tag was last weeks sale that was not pulled on Sunday night (sale price & coupon made the Kraft cheese the same price as the store brand cheese sale price) and the towlet bowl cleaner was a discontinued fragrance that the sale price was never put into the register. So I got the cheese, and 1 towlet bowl cleaner for free and the $.85 price difference on the 2nd cleaner.

I always quickly scan the register tape before I leave any store but don't always catch an error at the store. It is much easier to correct right then.

Roberta
Old 06-18-2005, 07:55 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I always try to eat first because if I shop when I'm hungry I ttend to over spend everything looks good when I'm hungry.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm always carring my adds with me, and watching the prices as they ring up. If I see them make a mistake, I'll stop them right there. If necessary, I've even gotten the manager to come straighten it out. So now when I pick a checkout the cashier really watches what she is doing as well as scanning in the right prices.

Vivian
Old 06-19-2005, 02:24 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grocery shoppinng savings

When my all my kids were home I would use a few of the above but what really helped us was , planning my meals in advance and what ingredients I'd need for those meals everyday. Then I'd try to go alone so I didn't have tons of foods put into the carriage. Once I picked up everything for the meals I'd planned, it was always so much cheaper than impulse shopping which I could really get into. Stocking up on sale items we used always helped too.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm on the road all day, every day for work. So, I carry my coupons with me and I shop at all the stores I go by. I make my lists at home using the sale ad, I attach the coupons I'll use to the list and I stick to the list--no excuses!! Its like a game for me....how much can I save??