FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Shopping (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/)
-   -   How do you save money at the grocery store? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/14671-how-do-you-save-money-grocery-store.html)

Raggd3 06-11-2005 02:53 PM

WOW! What great ideas. This thread is a really good idea. Thanks, Amanda.

I have always used a list. I make up a weekly menu of frugal but nutricious meals.

If I have coupons and/or rebates, I buy those items if they were something I would normally get.

One week every couple months I make meals using just the freezer and pantry. That uses up what's there and saves me from having to spend any money that week.

mowire 06-11-2005 03:31 PM

shopping..

I TRY to remember to use coupons!! it has to be on sale!! go by myself soemtimes faster and no extras.Look at marked down stuff like cereal boxes that are smashed!! sometimes cans.{hey dogs dont care if its a dented can :)}
sometimes the dairy or meat from the day before is marked down!!
I havent done any rebates in a LONG time!!!!! too bad.
thats all I think.

Vrsherren 06-11-2005 04:07 PM

My Husband thinks I'm nuts

I get all the adds together, see what is on sale and the best prices map out a route. Two of the stores (Super Wal-mart & Schnucks) will honor the adds of other stores so if I don't want to go everywhere I go to one of those with all my adds. I also have a list that I stick to, so before going I decide what I'm willing to cook for the 2 weeks and get evryone's opinion of what they want to snack on and get what is good for them ;)
Our Sam's Wholesale Club has a great meat selection, and a great rating with the health dept. I buy the center porkchops that come 9 in a pack because it gives us 3 meals. I buy the steaks the same way. Its less expencive buying the larger or bulk pkg than the smaller. DH likes the more pricy cuts of meat so buying in bulk will give him what he wants. He also loves meatloaf, and the meat dept. blend for meatloaf is pricy, so I buy lean hambugar and use ground turkey together. Put a little Lipton Onion soup mix (or store brand) and he can't tell so he is happy.
We use instant milk to cook with instead of fresh for 2 reasons. #1 its cheaper and #2 its fat free! But do not buy generic instant milk! It will leave a taletell taste. Sam's had a good brand or use Carnations.
We also go to a family owned and operated produce store. I can get lettuce and tomatoes there much cheaper that any other store, not to mention other fresh veggies. This place used to be an old gas station and isn't the prettiest of places to shop, but has a good health dept. rating and can't beat the service or prices!
I don't know how many of you live near "Pick your own" farms, but we do. We pick blueberries, plums, peaches, nectarines, and black berries to freeze, make jams, pie fillings, or just to eat. I'm type 2 diabetic and I make my own jams and syrups without sugar. Its fun to make and much cheaper than what is in the stores!
I keep 2 sets of sisters (4 girls from 8 to 13 and 2 are mildly retarded or slow to learn) whenever they are out of school and we do it all together. They learn how to compare prices, which is more economical, adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing, and the budget doesn't streach we do! When we go its in the morning and we can take all day if necessary, but haven't gone past lunch yet. They take their "helping" very serious and they don't ask for anything. Yes, I have trained them well :-D

Vivian:wave2:

AnnaInOhio 06-11-2005 04:39 PM

Wow Amanda

Great thread!

We save at the store these days by using coupons on items that we would normally use or if it's a super great price, will try with a coupon.

We have 2 deep freezers and 2 refrigerators so I stock up especially in the winter season with frozen veggies, fish, etc.

Someone mentioned buying fresh versus frozen in off season and she was so right. We have found chopped bell peppers at very reasonable prices (frozen) versus buying them fresh. We use them in alot of things... our homemade salsa, meatloaf's, in our burgers. We also buy onions frozen when we want them for cooking, they are very cheap. If I chop a onion and don't use it all, I freeze the rest of it.

Just a few things I can think of.

Anna

LI Roe 06-11-2005 05:24 PM

Even though it is just me (retired widow, 53, no kids) I use coupons for nearly everything. I walk daily and make sure I have my little envelope of coupons, use them at the grocery store, the book stores, even stores like Linens & Things (which accepts competitors coupons) and craft stores (most do the same with competitors coupons) so if I happen to wander into a store, I check out what is on sale (even better with food store coupons). I stock up on sale items also. When I can't carry the heavy items, then I take my car but most of the time I am walking with my little packages.

I also grill a bunch of stuff and freeze it. Then when it gets too hot to really cook, just defrost and zap it in the microwave. During the winter, I'll cook up a storm of different dishes, freeze it in individual portions and it's ready when I want it. One of my food stores usually marks down meat in the morning (and the sell by date is usually a few days away, in our favor) so I check out that case. One of the local small markets often has bagged bagels for a great price so I pick up a couple of bags and pop them into the freezer.

I'll try store brands, often there isn't a noticeable difference and sometimes it is less expensive than the name brands (unless I have a coupon). I used to buy non-dairy creamer, now I buy the non-fat dry milk in bulk at BJ's and use that in my coffee. Better for you healthwise. I check out the discount and dollar stores, and they somethings have items I can use (I always check expiration dates, some are way past the date). Fortunately, the grocery stores in my area have ongoing double coupons. Have gotten shampoo bottles for as little as 15 cents a bottle. And Thomas multi grain English muffins for 9 cents a package at one time, it was on sale for $1.59 and I had a 75 cent coupon that was doubled.

I also use old towels and tee shirts as rags when I don't want to use paper towels. For some garbage stuff that is too heavy for bags, I get boxes from the liquor store and use them to throw the stuff out in. Also, use them when I trim my hedges, saves on plastic bags.

My goal is to get the most I can for the least amount of money.

And my two favorite words are sale and clearance.

LI Roe

ditzy46 06-11-2005 06:14 PM

At our county library we have coupon swaps. People come in with coupons they don't want and swap with other people for ones they do want, works out pretty good. We also have a big basket full of the coupons that we just drop off. It sits on a long table so that you can take out a bunch and spread them out on the table to look at without rushing through them.

dinsky 06-11-2005 07:50 PM

I clip coupons; when items I use on a regular basis go on sale, I buy an extra; I converted an very large hall closet into a pantry, put a cabinet and a freezer in the garage to hold items; I shop at a warehouse store ONLY for those items that are less expensive; I am consistent about getting rebates; I occasionally shop through discount web sites to get good deals.

The amount the grocery bill is lowered, the amount of a rebate, or any money that is "saved" goes into a special bank account. That account is used for Christmas and occasionally a special gift for my husband (ie valentine's day or anniversary). Whatever is in that account is what we use for Christmas. It is an incentive to save money wherever we can.

:wigg:

stellajean66 06-11-2005 09:18 PM

I too, use coupons and sales items to save money at the grocery store.

cat lover 06-12-2005 04:47 AM

I use coupons when it will almost make the item free or it makes the item a really good buy. I also shop at various stores and the coupns are only used at a store that doubles them so I usually pay less than 25 cents for an item with a coupon. I don't have a "shopping day or a particular store" to shop at. Buy generic or store brand as much as possible, bulk buy at Sam's Club. Since it is just the two of us I buy what is on sale and cook around that instead of "wants", unless I'm making a recipe that I need a particular item for. We have a vegetable garden that we eat out of as long as it is growing and a close farm sells produce cheap that I get what I don't grow. We have started apple trees, pear trees, cherry trees, and peach trees. Grow blackberries gooseberries, elderberries, raspberries and strawberries. We also have black walnut trees, pecan trees, and have hickory nut trees. Still want to start a small grape arbor and plant some blueberies. I use a freezer to stock up on sale items and hardly ever buy anything unless it is on sale. Bake a lot and also use my bread machine!

:cat:

danstigerangel 06-12-2005 07:13 AM

I use coupons, stock up on sales items, and go to a few discount stores. I always shop by myself and this allows me to find in store specials, etc.

:-: Lauri