How do you save money at the grocery store? - Page 10 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

View Poll Results: How do you save money on groceries?
Coupons 85 67.46%
Rebates 33 26.19%
Stock up on sale items 96 76.19%
I only shop with cash, no checks or cards 23 18.25%
I go alone, noone else to put things in the cart 23 18.25%
I shop more than one store to get deals 71 56.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I find if I shop when I am tired and can't be bothered, we end up with lots of 'can't be bothered' food, which is expensive anmd not as healthy! Also if I shop when I am hungry we get worse stuff ha if I have eaten something fresh and healthy before we go.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Assistant Moderator

I went shopping and I was in a hurry this week I found that I still bought eveything I needed but because I hurried down the aisles I didn't stop to browse and missed the stuff I don't ned.
Might have to run the aisles next time.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I do pretty much what the rest of you do - eat before I go, bring a bottle of water with me (those soda cases at the registers always look so tempting!), leave DH and DDs home, do a menu plan based on what I already have at home, and bring a list with me. I also use coupons but mostly find that generic brands are still cheaper. I do the majority of my cooking from scratch. The other thing I have started doing, but not consistently yet, is to go through all of the sales ads that come in the Sunday paper. I shop at Wal-Mart and they will ad match. That way I only have to go to one store and still get all of the savings. My next goal is to start a price book because I have found in my ad-matching that Wal-Mart still usually has the lowest price most of the time.

Kathy
Old 02-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Big Grin

I love that Walmart will honor prices. I have even used this for things like DVD's and electronics and toys. B
Old 02-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When my kids were younger I used to set a 'target', say $110-00 (I budgeted $120-). Then I would give one a calculator and I would give them amounts to the nearest .50c for each item that went in the trolley. If we came in under target then there was money for a treat for them (milk shake or juice or choc bar) This would cost less than what I saved and it meant they didn't ask for impulse things as we went. It worked well, taught them that some things cost a lot of money and that we can only spend the $$ once! They are still pretty good with what they spend.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

One thing we recently started to do: Make our own breads and pizza dough.
I've had a breadmaker sitting out in the garage for 2 years. Bought it at a thrift store for $3.00, and never used it.
My boyfriend's eyes popped out....he was in heaven using it! We bought a 50 pound bag of flour at Sam's and we have fresh bread every other day.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bett, baking your own bread does save money. I love to bake and try new breads. When I go to a gourmet grocery (for special ingredients) and I see loaves of bread that go for $4 or $5--I'd much rather buy a few fancy ingredients for that money and make MANY loaves of bread.

Meg, I like your "target" idea. That would work for grownups too
Old 02-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

For me I do what I can.Ad match at wm I use coupons buy alot of generic stuff and I aslo make what I can from scrath too.Oh and I have a menu planned out for the week.

Mish
Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Bett, baking your own bread does save money. I love to bake and try new breads. When I go to a gourmet grocery (for special ingredients) and I see loaves of bread that go for $4 or $5--I'd much rather buy a few fancy ingredients for that money and make MANY loaves of bread.
Barbszy,
Do you bake yours in the breadmaker or in the oven?
We make the dough in the machine, then bake in the regular oven. Loaves are bigger and lighter.
I've been going through my cupboards and throwing in oatmeal...crunched up cereals, raisins, anything that looks yummy!

Old 02-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Bettdev, I always oven-bake my bread. I have an older bread machine and what I bake in there is not ideal, but it works great as a "dough machine." Plus this way I can shape as we want (baguette, rolls, regular loaf) and bake.

For a standard loaf I bake 35 to 40 minutes at 350 or 375.