FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Shopping (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/)
-   -   Angus Beef? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-shopping/12315-angus-beef.html)

barbszy 09-11-2004 03:53 PM

Angus Beef?

Our supermarket now sells Angus Beef as well as regular beef.
For the same cut, the price difference is about 30 cents per pound.
I have never tasted Angus Beef so I don't know how good it is or not. Is it worth the extra money or should I just skip it and buy the regular beef? Or are some cuts worth it, but not others?
Normally I buy beef in the following forms:
ground round for burgers, meatballs, casseroles
bottom round roast for pot roast in the crockpot
London Broil for beef fajitas (marinated & grilled)
NY Strip Steaks for a special treat, marinated & grilled
Stew beef

Abear 09-13-2004 08:23 PM

I've wondered the same thing. :confus: :confus:

Maybe someone that can clear this up will post soon.

sandieluvsbears 09-14-2004 09:39 AM

Angus Beef

:daisy:

Hi, Ive tried Angus beef and didnt really notice the difference in the flavor but according to the meat cutter at our local supermarket the difference between angus beef and regular is the way they are fed. Angus beef is fed strictly on grass for aleaner and also (less Cholesterol) piece of meat,whereas regular beef is fed grain. Its a good thing to know where some people have to watch their diet because of fat or cholesterol,but we honestly didnt notice much difference in the flavor, in fact I thought because the hamburg was much leaner it wasnt very good for meatloaf it tends to make it dry.We tried some N.Y. sirloin on the grill and you honestly couldnt tell the difference,in that either, but because my husband likes steak I do buy the Angus because high cholesterol runs in his family and his is fine now and I want to keep it that way.:daisy:
Sandie
A Room Without A Teddy Bear Is Like A Face Without A Smile!(^)

ajkennedy 09-19-2004 07:29 AM

That is really good to know...I'm glad that someone asked the butcher about the differences between angus and regular beef. I didn't notice a difference in the the taste either!

HelenGloria 09-19-2004 06:33 PM

Angus beef

Angus beef is THE ONLY beef I will buy. I've been using Angus for many years now. With so many MadCow scares over the years, I know with Angus beef my family will be safe. As far as the increased price, I look at it this way.....I can buy the less expensive cut and my family will not eat it as the beef if tough and has an inferior taste. Angus IS ALWAYS tender and delicious. NO WASTE!!

Gloria

barbszy 09-20-2004 02:42 AM

Just trying to make sense of it all...
you can be sure Angus is safe because it is only grass-fed. It does not eat the "cow feed" that might contain contaminated pieces of other cows? Is that correct?

Lisa Berry 09-20-2004 05:29 AM

As an Angus Beef Producer I have to disagree with the grass-fed only butcher. We grain our steers as well. The grain does NOT:stripes: contain mad cow parts, it is made up of American Raised Grains (Corn, Barley, Oats, Wheat, etc.) and Molasses. Angus is a type of beef cattle; Hereford, Simmental, Charlois, etc are some other types. Angus is just bred for great meat production and has it's own flavor and characteristics. Fat content can be controlled to an extent by what you feed the animals although some of it is genetics. :)

HelenGloria 09-20-2004 06:02 AM

Angus Beef

I noticed around here [southern Missouri and northern Arkansas] Burger King is advertising they ONLY use Angus Beef NOW. Is it that way w/Burger King in other parts of the country?

Where we live in the county, we must drive out of our way to shop at the only grocery store in the county that sells Angus beef. It is well worth the trip. I buy ground Angus sirloin for my burgers, Salisbury steak, spaghetti and lasagna sauce, meatloaf, and today's stuffed bell peppers. Tenderized round for ChickenFried, Swiss and smothered steak. An eye of round make a good roast for making sandwiches but the rump is our favorite.....oooooh, so tender and delicious.:sausa:

kellydid 09-20-2004 06:25 AM

Well I appreciate the information from, so to speak, the "cow's mouth" Lisa Berry!!! Thank you!! I have wondered about this myself. Since you are a Angus Beef Producer, I will rely on your expertise.

Yes, our Burger Kings here in this area are touting that they serve only Angus Beef also. I, however, do not eat at Burger King. Our Hardees, which is a southern fast food restaurant also says they serve Angus Beef, but, once again, I don't eat there. I don't do Mc Donalds either!

I, of course, have not seen any in the grocers stores for sale!!! DUH! Imagine that! We are so far behind the power curve!

Kellydid

ewriggs 09-20-2004 09:07 AM

My DH doesn't like the flavor of Angus beef - go figure! Saves us money, though, because I don't spend the extra on the Angus beef.

If you are really serious about reducing cholesterol and having meat that is free of hormones and all that, check out Laura's Lean Beef! Talk about expensive, though - nothing "frugal" about it! Got some, and it tastes pretty good, but not "3-5$/pound difference" good!

Angus is just one of many cattle breeds, like Lisa said.

As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong, Lisa) the Mad Cow part comes in not only from being fed feed with parts of infected cattle in it, but from being in the same fields as other infected cattle. The grass becomes contaminated with infected excrement and is then consumed by un-infected cattle which in turn are then infected.

Has nothing to do with which breed, but has everything to do with exposure.

To reduce cholesterol, just get the leanest cuts you can afford, and further trim them to remove any extra fat. If getting ground beef, try to get ground round, and then rinse in hot water after cooking to remove extra fat. This will reduce the amount of the cholesterol "dose" per serving of the beef.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth