Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Nine Year Member

tree3branches~~~ Was at Winn Dixie today they had family packs with 3 roasts in each package. Both of us were able to get a package each. Made one of the roasts tonight was real tender. Cut some in half to use for chopped meat. Winn Dixie really helps cut food budjets.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh cool it ends up I have to go to town tonight to get fresh cocnut. For a cake order. So I'm going to pick up me the beef special tonight. Then I can get me another on my regurlar shopping day. ;-)

Sueanne was that the 99cent beef?

this be Tree
Old 07-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tree....Do you have a routine set of meals that you make or do you try a lot of different recipies? I know that is my problem. I am always trying new recipies...buying whatever ingredients are needed for them instead of buying whats on sale and then trying new recipies based on what I have in the freezer.
Right now I have in the freezer enough meat for the week, but then I start all over, bare, every 2 weeks. If I can get the freezer stocked some I know I can do better with my budget.
(We don't have a big freezer, but we do have a second refrigerator in the garage.)

I need to get away from mixes, too. That one is just habit. I have always bought mixes rather than cook from scratch. Thanks for jumping on the trainwagon, tree!!!!

I'll be grocery shopping next week and I will let you know if I find any bargains...I am not going to make a menu, I am just going to buy what is on sale.
peace,train

Old 07-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Train lady
My menu vary. Like you my freezer supply got down to nithing but some corn. So I'm also stocking it back up. So menu is center around special I can find. Like the taco made out of ground turkey this evening. Ate one freeze one. I like to try to try new things too. If I have it on hand I use it. Like change the seasoning but like you till I get the freezer filled back up thats my focus. Also my focus is to have prepare meals in ther this time. Too cut down on time fixing meals.

Homemade mixes are great. I used to fix them alot to before we took over the store. We carry alot of them. But yet I still fix my own waffle and biscuit from scrath.

This was my shopping trip this week.

This Morning I went to Winn Dixie I bought 4 cans of Starkist tuna 5o cent each, Caught Salmon Filletts 2 packs cost me $2.67 and $2.39 saving of $12.70 Total from orginal cost.
8 ears of corn for $1.00
Bottom round roast $6.89 it was $24.29
Alley cat food saved 50 cent $1.99

Total grocery $17.38 saved $31.76

At Ingles
2 2 liter pepsi .99 each
La Costena Black beans & refried black beans 2 for a $1.00 got 4 cans.
Ground turkey 79 cent a lb. I bought 2 packs $1.03 and $1.00
Large can diced tomatoe 99 cent each
pack of pens bic on sale 69 cents
Produce water melon and canalope manager pakage 99 cent each got 3 of them
green onions and radishes 2 bundles for a $1.00 gor 2 bundles of each $2.00.
Cheese bread BOGOF $2.99
crayons 69 cent
4 pack Rol.Alk Double aa batties 99 cent each
Theme note books 70 page 3 / $1.00

Total $24.45 Saving $13.48

I when I got home the beef was 2 pieces one I kept whole the other cut up in to steaks. Slamon will be grilled tonight ot tomarrow, The fruit I peeled and cut up so the kids can help them self. The turkey I made taco meat. 1/2 was ate for luch the other in the freezer,

I got some needed school supplies on sale So $5.oo of the toltal go in mis. expense.

So My Grocery total for July is $136.83

That my grocery shopping today.

Old 07-31-2003, 07:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi Tree,
I took your advice this month and bought what was on sale instead of making a menu before hand. I did'nt quite get my budget down to 250, but I got it down to 300! That's a start!
If I could just take one paycheck and just buy meats to stock in the freezer (we don't have a deep freeze but we do have a second refrigerater in the garage)...that would help.

I bought fish to fry, a pot roast (I had mentioned on another thread that even tho our temps have been over 100 I have been in the mood for a winter meal of potroast, green beans, mashed potatoes and pumpkin pie...so that is what we are having this weekend, minus the pie. I figure I can wait a few more months for that!!)
Also bought hamburger to make a meatloaf, premade chicken enchiladas, Swansons pot pies, premade chicken egg rolls and taquitos...and then all the stuff for packing my lunch for work...bread, lunchmeat, fruit, etc,...cereal, juice, eggs, milk, cookies, cake and muffin mixes...
My goodness, it all adds up but if I don't spend the 50 I saved in the next week maybe I can use that to get some meat for the freezer in the garage!
But Tree, your grocery bill is WAY LOWER than mine and you are shopping for a family of 5. I don't know HOW you do it but I am going to keep reading whatever you write for inspiration!
peace,train
Old 08-01-2003, 05:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Great Job you saved $50.00. The only thing I see different in the way we buy grocery is you buy more premade stuff then I do. Sence I bake for the store cookies and cakes I don't buy mixes and such for them.

Today starts a new monthe. I decided I wanted to try to make a menu for the whole month of dinners. I'm posting them in my jounal if you like to see it. I made a shopping list of ingredents needed for so many days at a time.

Your potroast sounds so yummy

:p

This be Tree
Old 08-15-2003, 07:10 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Is it too late to join this challenge. I would love to try and get my bill down. I honestly don't know how much I spend in a month. I would say around $400 maybe. I have a family of 5, 2 adults, 5yr, 4yr, & 22mos old. My 5yr eats like a teen at times.

Thanks

Chrissy
Old 08-16-2003, 11:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi LuvmyFF,
Yes, please do join us...we need all the ideas and encouragement we can get!!!
peace,train
Old 08-20-2003, 06:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Yes join us the more the merrier.

we cheer each other own.

This be Tree
Old 08-25-2003, 05:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Good Morning all...Have been having computer problems, and it is fixed temporarily, getting new one anytime now. Anyhow, back to grocery shopping It is just the 2 of us now, but we go every week to pick up the bargains. I am a "stockpiler".
I NEVER let my pantry get to low, as it is to hard to get it stocked again. Once a month we go to "Costco" and get our meat. I get the other things out of another pay day. I plan meals as I go as our schedule is to hectic anymore. Therefore I work with what I have. If we are having company, or some special event comes up then I do sometimes need to run to the store.
Everyone have a great day. Cafe