Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta good hint, I'm going to do that in the future. I do post on my fridge all fresh veggies, fruits and anything with a use by date as a reminder

Old 01-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I LOVED my Easy Bake Oven, Train! I got one for my one of my granddaughters year before last for Christmas and she loves playing with it!
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Went to the grocery store for my 2 week shopping. Got 113 items.

Coupons Savings/BOGF $16.17
Spent $248.26

Left for the month $38.74.

Charlotte
Old 01-15-2012, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Out of the $80.26 that I had left, I spent $10.74 on a 20.02 lb turkey, $8.36 on two gallons of milk and $1.07 on a loaf of bread. I have $60.09 left for the rest of the month. The turkey was an extra expense but I couldn't turn it down at $.50 a pound. It will make us several meals.
Hugs, Paula

http://summdaysummway.blogspot.com
Old 01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member

I have a had time passing up good deals like your turkey Paula. When I know I will save money in the future by buying it today I will. There isn't many protein sources you can get for $.50 a lb.

Roberta
Old 01-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Paula & Roberta, me too, knowing it will be more the next time makes it so hard to say no!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Count me in, downloaded the spread sheet...There are 3 of us, adults, 2 dogs and 2 cats...I learned with the cats to save money by mixing for each 1/2 can of wet food with their dry food...instead of each getting a can...last longer. I try to buy foods that I can make a meal and have enough for at least 1 more if not 2 meals from. I usually like to do Stews, but the meat has gotten rather expensive...so for some reason I decided to try using Neckbones...I cooked the bones til the meat fell off, then added dry beans that I had soaking overnight, and finished it with 2 batches of collards, wilted down. So far we have had 2 dinners, 2 lunches and there is still enough for 1 more meal. I did add a box mix of Corn Bread to it. Around Thanksgiving Publix ran a special on Turkeys, so I got the one for Thanksgiving, as well as 5 more. I had 1 in the freezer that I used, and after I got out of the hospital and before Christmas someone was running a better sale on hams so I got 6...that way at least once a month I will either cook the ham or turkey up and we will get a couple of meals out of it, or I can stretch it even farther by adding other items and making a stew or soup with it...I try to purchase my chicken when the legs and thighs are on sale in 10lb bags for 59 cents(used to be able to get for as low as 29 cents) and now I am finding that they are not going lower than 79 cents...I buy Hamburger from Save A Lot in the 5 lbs rolls, if on sale I try to get 2...I also do a lot of the non food items such as paper towels, toilet paper, wraps, coffee, and sometimes wheat bread at the $ store...I score all ads either by waiting til they come in the mail or checking on line...If you have a Walgrens, they sometimes have some good sales...I can usually get $150 to stretch a month...It was better when I was able to get the Angel food plans...I think our biggest expense is when DH goes to the store, for bologna, cheese, eggs, milk, and his soda...he always is finding something else to bring home...The great thing is that now that we are both diabetics and trying to make sure my dd does not become one is that we do not have the sugary items to buy...
Old 01-28-2012, 04:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I include everything in my total food, pet supply, cleaning & paper goods.

Jan Budget $150
Spent $191.34
Balance $(41.34)
had a great sale on dog food 56lb $32.77 & frozen deluxe pizza 10x$3.99

Coupon Savings $152.12
Sales Savings $146.89

Roberta
Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

My Budget for January was $500 I spent 461.26.

I saved with coupons and BOGOF items $16.17 for the month.

February Budget will be $400. For February I spent $168.31 for 72 items.

Saved $11.54 on coupons and BOGOF items.

Left to spend is $231.69

Charlotte

Last edited by happymomof4; 01-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

If anyone has a Walgreens near you, they have milk on sale this week...I have already told husband that if we need milk this week he is to get it there...