Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Welcome Ruthmary. I look forward to your posts. Its getting harder all the time to not spend a fortune at the grocery store. I know its a huge expense at our house.
Goal-400.00
Spent to date-115.07
Left to spend-284.93
Store and coupon savings-26.11
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Jean, it is definitely getting harder and harder to keep the grocery bill down. I budgeted $50 last week since the freezer, fridge and pantry were all pretty well stocked. I made up a menu and shopping list based on what I had on hand. I could not get the bill below $72.00! My cart wasn't even half full!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

You ladies are such an inspiration. I never know where to set my grocery budget. It's just dh and I and one cat and one dog. I count all my food only in one category and all my non food (health and beauty, pet food, cleaning, etc.) in another category and a third category for eating out. I averaged all of 2008 and for food only we spent $113 per week. My non food category varies a lot, I spent $206 in Nov. and $140 in Dec. I know I can do much better in all areas but I just don't, boo for me. In Dec. I spent $621 for all food and non food which seems awfully high for 2 people and 2 pets plus the wild birds. I definitely need to work on this in 2009. This month I've already spent $164 on food and $147 on non food. This will be an out of the ordinary month though as we will be going on vacation for 10 days and that food will be counted in the eating out category.
Jacki
Old 01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Nine Year Member

Jacki, do you make a menu for a week or two at a time before shopping? That might help you to lower your total spent.

Roberta
Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well, I budgeted $125.00 for this week, but spent $140.00. We were out of a lot of things, but I still wish I had been able to keep it at $125.00. Hopefully, the month will still stay at $600.00.

Goal: $600.00
Spent: $140.00
Balance: $460.00

Kathy
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Goal-400.00
Spent to date-238.59
Left to spend-161.41
Store and coupon savings-40.51
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am sooo used to making a months worth of menus( I was a school cafeteria manager!) at one time... I also shopped for home once a month when my kids were at home due to the way we were paid...It is hard to start doing a menu once a week but I am going to give it a try!!! It makes a lot of sense...Buying and eating what is on sale for that week...I have already started collecting coupons via the internet and magazines. Hopefully,this will get me jump-started...If anyone has ANY suggestions ,please send them my way!! Thanks! and Good Luck!!
Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I need to get on a budget (dh would so appreciate it!) but don't know where to start. I don't want to budget to low and then be overwhelmed with trying to keep within budget but don't want to budget to high either. There are 3 of us (me, dh & dd who is 11) and our dog.

I shop at Costco for the paper products and some of our meats, and then either Walmart or the grocery store for the rest. Do I include eating out in the budget or keep that seperate?

I have looked at our spending for November & December, but both Costco & Walmart probably have Christmas gifts included with food shopping, so I don't think I have a clear indication of how much we spend on groceries yet.

What does everyone else do?
Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Ooooo I need this badly. We keep talking about a budget and never get there!
I fly by the seat of my pants most days for dinner and have a hard time planning what to eat!
I hope by visiting here often and evaluating my pantry and cupboards I can do better.
Any help is appreciated!
Do you all keep a journal or notebook?

The God of hope fill you with all joy and peace...Romans 15:13
Old 01-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Nine Year Member

Lisa & Panj I would start by making a list of 25 meals your family enjoy breaking down the ingrediants so you know what those meals will cost. Then add in paper, cleaning products, pet food, etc if you include them in your grocery budget. As the month goes use what you have on hand and replenish your cupboards & freezer when items are on sale and you have coupons.

Having a soup & sandwich or salad night along with a meatless bean/rice or other type meal once a week will help lower the budget as well as making use of leftovers.

When I find meat (chicken, pork loin, hamburger) on sale I'll buy enough for 5-6 meals to get us through the next several weeks. More expensive "treat" meals like steak I'll buy 2 meals worth for the month saves a lot of money over eating out.

I think most of us have a separate eating out budget if we eat out at all.

Roberta

Closed Thread