Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jean, that's all we can do it keep trying. I don't think you stink at it maybe you need to up your budget a little with a growing boy in the house. I budget $400.00 just for dh and I and I don't include pet food, paper products, cleaning products, etc. just food. If I iincluded all those things you do I'd easily be at $500.00, I think you are just being too hard on yourself.
Jacki
Old 07-22-2008, 08:20 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: We live in Northwest Mississippe, very close to Memphis TN.
Jean, Don't beat yourself up because you went over your goal. It is a "GOAL". You may have to set your goal higher. I have set our goal for $600.00 a month. I have gone over before. This month I will be doing better. Remember the "food police" will not be coming after you, if you go over. Just keep on trying. Good Luck.

Having children is like being pecked to death
by a duck!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jean, don't forget that prices are higher too! And don't you have a couple of teenagers? Why not, for a couple of months, stop setting goals and just "do your best" at saving and planning, and track what you spend. Take the average of that and use it for your goal the next month.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
Nine Year Member

I'm pretty sure I'll be over since there is still a week left in the month. I didn't increase my budget even though everyone is home eating 3 meals aday and we haven't been eating out. So I've been trying to see how close I can keep it to $300 for the 4 of us and our dogs, paper & cleaning supplies.

Roberta
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: We live in Northwest Mississippe, very close to Memphis TN.
There is no way I could feed 4 people 3 meals a day, 30 days a month, plus dogs and paper and cleaning supplies for $300.00 a month. If you even get close to $400. a month I would say you are doing something fantastic... My opinion.

Having children is like being pecked to death
by a duck!
Old 07-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks for the encouragement girls. It just always amazes me how much of what we make ends up being ate up.

Total-482.01
Store and coupon savings-22.80
Goal-450.00
Over by-30.01
Old 07-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta, I agree with Navywife. You do such a great job I wish I could do that good.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Anyone can participate--just state your grocery budget for the month, and then track your totals to see if you can beat your goal.
Hi all I have decided that I really need to participate in this. I'm assuming you all start over at the beginning of each month? If so, I'll just read and do some commenting until the new month starts since there's only a week left.

I'll try to keep up
Old 07-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Amanda, we have the same thread for all summer, but yes--at the beginning of the month we:

state our goal
state how many people in our household
state if our budget includes things like:
  • cleaning supplies
  • pet food
  • beauty & hygiene
  • eating out
  • office/school supplies
And then we just track our spending as we go. At the end of the month we see if we are "over" or "under."

I want to ask my husband to go into our "checkbook archives" (he does the checkbook on the computer) and give me a report of what is spent each month on food, broken down for each year. Should be interesting to see the changes! I almost always pay for groceries by check so this will be fairly accurate.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Barb I think one of my biggest problems is paying with my debit card rather than cash. It's too easy to overspend when using your debit card just to get that "one extra thing". :P

When I used to budget for groceries I actually did pretty good. I have started shopping at Aldi recently and can save a LOT of money there, but there are still things I have to get at WalMart or the grocery store.

I'll follow along and join in for the new month

Closed Thread