Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 03:00 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy wife in Missipp
I am going to military commissary tomorow (with a list).
I miss going to the commissary. It was so much cheaper then regular grocery stores. They had stuff in bulk that help with baking.

Went to Walmart and spent $38.48.

Left to spend $561.52

Charlotte
Old 06-04-2008, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Girls, is the commissary just for the military families? We don't have anything like that around here and I was just wondering. So far I haven't spent anything for June on food but I have been home alone without a way to go to the store so that is why. I have been eating mostly leftovers since Sunday. I will have to make something today
Old 06-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Nine Year Member

Yes Jean, commissaries are grocery stores on military bases for the families use. Those overseas also allow the use of expired coupons.

I need to check the grocery ad and make a list for the week. Next week will be lots of crock pot cooking since we have girl scout camp and vacation bible school.

Roberta
Old 06-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I spent $135 at WM today, but I really stocked up.

When I got home I did a lot of breaking things down into single-serve or single-meal portions for the freezer and pantry.

Yesterday I moved most of the stuff from the basement pantry (extras) into my kitchen pantry. Today I started restocking the basement one.

Kathy
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Nine Year Member

Was at Krogers yesterday and spent $69.24 saved $35.48.

Budget $300
Spent to date $69.24
Coupons used $16.50
Store Savings $30.98

Budget left $230.76

Roberta
Old 06-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Went shopping at Walmart, Save-a-lot and Food city yesterday. After I took away the fishing reel dh got and underwear for yds I have a total of 73.92. I had 1.49 in store savings. I still don't know what to say is my goal because other than one time I never made it. Grocery shopping is just about the only time I am out of the house and I think thats a lot of my problem. I need to find a way to get this under control.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: We live in Northwest Mississippe, very close to Memphis TN.
Honey, you need to get out of the house more!
I went to aldi today for the first time in a couple of years. I was not undully impressed. Saw people loading their carts, I bought bread crumbs, white bread a can of white chicken breast (we use it for a dip), and soe pretzels. Spent $4.67. Bread, bread crumbs and chicken breast were pretty good prices. I saw brands, I never saw before. I am not name brand bound, but I am skeptable. Bread crumbs, bread, flour, sugar, oatmeat are just that, not necessary name brand proud.Same with rice, grits, etc. Some of their off brand prices were as expensive or more than what I normally get at the military commissary. I won't make aldi a regular stop.

Having children is like being pecked to death
by a duck!
Old 06-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Navy Wife you are right I do need to get out of the house more. When we lived in NC for a little while they had an Aldi there. I liked to buy their canned goods such as vegetables and fruits etc and their crackers. I didn't care for their meat but to honest didn't try much of it. I bought milk there one time and it was bad and I had to throw it out. Of course, that could happen at any store. We don't have an Aldi around here and the nearest Save-a-lot is about 40 minutes away. Do you have a Save-a-lot where you live? To me Aldi and Save-a-lot are just about the same except I think I may like certain items at Save-a-lot better.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:32 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Location: We live in Northwest Mississippe, very close to Memphis TN.
Jeandeanette. We use to have a save-a-lot but it went out of businesss a year or two ago. There is one or two in Memphis TN I think. I try to avoid going into Memphis as much as possible. I did get milk at the commissary for 2.96, It runs about $3.79 a gallon at kroger or wal-mart. Have a great Sunday.

Having children is like being pecked to death
by a duck!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:05 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I went to Redners today and spent $153.53.
Goal is $600.00
Total spent $192.01
Total left to spend $407.99

Got along way to go and the kids will be home all day soon. Hope we can do this. I also started weight watchers last week.

Charlotte

Closed Thread