Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Well I was dreading coming here and admitting how far over my budget I went this month but I see others did too so I'll take a little comfort in that (I can justify almost anything LOL). I spent $500 and I think I was shooting for $300, not even in the ballpark. But I guess the object is to see where the money is going and attempt to do better next time so I think I'll shoot for $400 in February and see if I can do that.
Jacki
Old 01-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Nine Year Member

Stopped at the gas station yesterday to pick up milk YIKES $3.79 but I didn't have time to get it at the grocery and we were out. Will shop on Friday.

Total spent to date $259.99
Coupons $130.30
Sales savings $103.02

Budget left $43.01

Roberta
Old 01-31-2008, 03:20 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Ready to jump back in for Feb. Today was the last day of Jan and I spent $82-30. $20-00 for food for a cooking party tonight and $5-00 for families tea. So the rest really is the start of my Feb spending. So, $57-00 for Feb so far! That's milk, groceries and chicken fillets.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well I decided to go ahead and do some major shopping today instead of waiting until next week so my total for the month of Jan is right at 659.00. This includes food, hba etc. I am hoping the 120.00 today will go for a lot of the first week or so of Feb but we will see. This is a terrible amount of money for a 4 family home one of which isn't even home much. I will try to do better for Feb.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Well I didn't make my $500.00 for this month so I will go for $550.00 for Feb.
Jean don't beat yourself over it, at least now we are aware where our money is going. It has helped with a lot. Before I would be saying where did it all go

Old 01-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well, I stopped at the store (Foodfair) and spent $68.73. This leaves me a balance of $56.18 that I'll use for February. Yeah!!! I came in under my budget this month.

January budget: $250.00
Spent: $193.82

Balance: $56.18

February budget will be $306.18

Visit my main blog--Nuggets of Wisdom
Old 01-31-2008, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

You all do such a good job. Please keep any ideas coming. I really need to get my bill down. I buy mostly generics. I don't hardly ever buy any of the costly meats. I try to get meats on sale or marked down when I can. I don't have a chance to get many coupons. There are no double or triple coupon stores. I just need to figure out a better way. Thanks for the kind words cau.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 PM
Nine Year Member

Do you have bread thrift stores in your area? I have Nickols & Aunt Millies in the neighboring towns and can get 4 loafs for $1.99 when they sell for $2.19 each at the grocery. So I always stop and get bread for the freezer when I'm in those towns. Double bagged they last a month or more without getting hard.

I buy a lot of store brand items as well but sometimes the national brand is cheaper when on sale matched with a coupon.

Kroger's has recently updated their website and you can pre-load instant coupons to your Kroger discount card and also print coupons out to used in any store as well.

I would check into every store that you shop at and ask if they have a shopper card or some other frequent shopper discount program. Even the thrift bread stores have a deal but you have to have a card. Spend $12 and you get a free item when the card has been punched.

Roberta
Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Roberta thanks, but no we don't have any bread outlet stores. Its hard for most people to understand our lives because we are very rural up in the mountains. We have a store called Food city. It does have a store card which I have but they are very high except sometimes you can get a good deal on sales items with your card. For the last several months they haven't had many good sale items. They used to have real good marked down meats deals but now its almost impossible to get good deals. Their hb that is marked down a lot of times is still way over 2 dollars sometimes 3 a pound. I don't consider that a deal. I will get the hb when its under 2 dollars a pound. There is also a mom and pop store but I don't really trust their foods to be fresh. Sometimes they do have a good meat sale. Other than that we have to drive around 40 minutes to get to the nearest save-a-lot and walmart. My choices are very limited. The nearest Kroger is about an hour and half away. The nearest mall is at least 2 hours away. We are truely in the boonies. We have many advantages living in the country but then again we have many disadvantages like not having stores and not having a good hospital close. Thanks for the ideals I do appreciate them.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Please join our February Grocery Challenge!

This thread will remain open for a week or so to give everyone a chance to update their totals.