Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member

Went to CVS today spent $12.36 saved $20.55.

Total spent $55.94
Coupons $23.29
Sales savings $18.08

Budget left $244.06

Roberta
Old 01-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well dh went to the store and he got the wrong kind of tp which costed twice as much but is supposed to last twice as long. So heres my total for Jan so far.

Food city-51.38
Coupons-25cents
Store savings card-12.84
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have revamped my budget for this year, and I am budgeting $250/month for groceries. This will be including paper products and cleaning supplies.

I live alone, but every other week my grandchildren (2) are here with me after school Tues-Thurs, 1 is here all day Fri, and then her brother after school, and both here all day on Sat. My budget will include their snacks and meals.

Hopefully posting it here will help me with my accountability and I'll stay on track with it this year! Thanks for this thread!

Visit my main blog--Nuggets of Wisdom
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm in

I'm budgeting $100.oo a week for grocery for a family of 5. Hubby , me, Kellie (7) and 2 teenage boys. Plus 1 cat named baby & our dog named Dog. My goal to take the left over and snowball it in paying off our dedt.

This be Tree
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I would like to try this as well. I have a family of 4 and a med sized puppy. We have budgeted 400 for this month. We shall see how I do. That is including paper supplies, cleaners and food. Eating out is another catagory. We are trying to do the snowball thing to pay off debts as well. We should payoff another credit card this year. YEAH!!

Good luck everyone.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:44 AM
Nine Year Member

Every little bit that is paid over the normal payment is great as it will go to pay down the principal.

When eating out try to go to places that have kids eat free nights or use a coupon as it all helps free up a few extra dollars to be used somewhere else in your budget.

The name of the game is making your money go as far as possible.

Roberta
Old 01-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta,
You are an inspiration with your great savings ways.

I'll jump in again this month. I was keeping track last month, but once it got closer to the holidays and my son got home, I drifted away from keeping track, so I'm guessing I went over my budget.

This month, I'm going to aim for under $450.00. Once DS and his girlfriend head back to school (next week), we'll be back to a family of 2 (DH and me). I include everything I get at the grocery store, food, cleaning products and paper products. We both pack lunches every day and eat out rarely.

Liz
Old 01-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

RObert You should give lessons, I know I would sign up. Well I took the plunge and hit the grocery store, which had great lead ins this week. Bought the paper goods for the month for $7.88 for the t-paper and $7.88 for paper towels. We have been using more paper towels with the wet wheather and the dog.Also had strawberries and cantalopes cheap. Ended up spending $68.29 at Ultra and .49 at the Bread store

$500.00 Goal
$$73.78 Spent
$426.22 to go

Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Another great thread. I haven't decided how much to budget so will just wing it for January and set a fixed amount in February. It's just dh and I plus one dog and one cat. Once in awhile a kid shows up and sometimes the grandkids are here but not on a regular basis. I've always tracked my grocery spending, we averaged $92 a week in 2007 when we were both working full time. This does not include any paper, cleaning, pet food etc, strictly people food and does not include eating out which we've done ALOT. That will now come to a halt with me quitting work on Friday. So while I'd like to lower the budget if we are no longer eating out that may not be possible. I was thinking $300.00 a month but I've already spent $230 in the last 6 days. My cupboards, frig and extra freezer are bulging so hopefully will just need produce, milk and bread, will see how the month goes and that should determine the coming months better. Thanks to everyone that posts here.
Jacki
Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have definitely gotten off track with budgeting. So it's time to get back to work! went grocery shopping last Wednesday and spent $95.00. I'm hoping to keep the food bill to $400.00 this month. We are in the process of selling our house and I want to clear out the freezer and extra pantry. Our biggest downfall is eating out. I'm trying to cut that in half this month. Wish me luck!

Kathy