FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Challenge (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/)
-   -   Grocery Challenge October 2007 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/21526-grocery-challenge-october-2007-a.html)

barbszy 09-30-2007 04:28 PM

Grocery Challenge October 2007

Anyone can participate in our Grocery Challenge! Here's where we set our spending goal for the month and try to beat the goal, OR just try to keep track of our spending and find out what's realistic for our families.

To participate, tell us your goal for the month, how many in your family, and whether your budget includes things like pet food and non-food items.

Bilby 09-30-2007 04:39 PM

$370 total groc including meat for 2 weeks and veg.
$35 Doctor/clinic transfer fee (collating and sending family files to new clinic)
Also ended up with a $20 party present to buy (ds2) and a $45 driving lesson to pay for.
That was a big shop so this week should be a lot less.
Total = $470

megrayau 09-30-2007 06:09 PM

Subbing for October. Once again I lost the plot part way through Sept. I will try and do better this month.
Goal: under $600-. Let's see how I go!
I am starting with a nearly empty freezer, so there is not much back up, but we have been using all the bits in the last week so I guess it is frugal anyway!
I am trying really hard to menu plan better this month so I am more organised.

barbszy 10-01-2007 03:15 AM

I haven't been able to come in under budget since the first month we did this challenge....so I think I'd better just set my bar a little higher. My goal will be $500 for the month.

Family of 5 including a teenage boy; includes cleaning and paper supplies but NOT stationery or greeting cards.

RobertaD 10-01-2007 04:38 AM

Keeping the budget at $300 for my family of 4, 2 dogs, and 2 inlaws that eat with us probably 6 times a month. I include paper goods, pet food, and cleaning supplies in my budget.

Used over $100 in coupons in September and saved over $90 with sales so I'm actually getting $500 worth for my $300 spent.

Roberta

Lizzie-boo 10-01-2007 04:39 AM

I was right on track last month, spent just under my $450. We are just two, but we rarely go out to eat, so that's three meals a day for each of us. The budget includes all cleaning and paper supplies.

Liz

megrayau 10-01-2007 05:20 AM

$141-69 today. Includes some snacky stuff so ds and I have quick nibbles during the production this week. We'll see how it goes. . .

butterfly 10-01-2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbszy
To participate, tell us your goal for the month, how many in your family, and whether your budget includes things like pet food and non-food items.

Hello, I'd like to participate in October, as I know that this is one area where I can save money. My goal for the month is to spend no more than 180, and this will cover all groceries and non-food items that I buy excluding greeting cards and household batteries. Family consists of myself and DH.

Today I have spent 21.12.

Lizzie-boo 10-01-2007 07:37 AM

Welcome, Butterfly. I've really found it interesting to track what I spend. My major problem is that I really enjoy grocery shopping, so it's hard for me to stay out of the grocery store, but I am improving!

Liz

RobertaD 10-01-2007 07:58 AM

I get a kick out of how much I can get for as little $$ as possible. I have to watch that I don't buy just because (on sale and I have a coupon) :giggly: beats drinking, am too cheap to buy liquor!

I try to only shop 3 times a month but generally have to stop in for an item or two between shops.

Roberta