Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Grocery Challenge September 2007

Let's see how we do in slicing and dicing that food budget for this month!

Anyone can join in the challenge. Just say up front what your budget is, and then keep tabs on yourself throughout the month.

This group has been generous with moral support and helpful hints for staying on budget!

Prices seem to be going up--can we keep our grocery costs down?
Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Count me in. I'm going to try for $600. again. I will make it one of these days

Old 08-30-2007, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am going to try for $550-00 this month. It ios up on my 'budget' but down on my actual from August so we will see. Ds has a birthday during September so I will decide if that becomes part of my expenditure or is taken from other funds!!
So far $158-00 spent
$392-00 to go.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Nine Year Member

How many in your Family are you shopping for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbszy
Anyone can join in the challenge. Just say up front what your budget is, and then keep tabs on yourself throughout the month.

Been following everyones budget for the last couple of months. Made me sit down and figure out what I have been spending too.

What I would like to know is how many people in the family are you shopping for?
Maybe we can do a poll with number in family & amount?
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I am trying to get an idea of different costs.It will be tricky, but I buy 2 litres of milk for $2-89. I think that is about 4.2 pints or 2.1 quarts. What would you pay for that much milk? (Reduced fat, home brand).
Old 08-31-2007, 03:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg, here in New Jersey that would go for about $2.50. I buy milk by the gallon and that is up to almost $4 2 gallons a week in my house!

I am going to shoot for $550. This is for 2 adults, 3 children (including one teenager). No pets.

Sueanne, we can't do that many variables in one poll! I don't think the system could handle it

My grocery budget includes food, cleaning supplies and paper products. It does not include "eating out" or greeting cards.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member

Thumbs up

barbszy....Thanks for including the number in your family for the budget report.
The cost of milk here is $4.29 for a gallon on sale.

Interested in how much a family of two has been spending for two adults? So far I have been spending $450.00 without eating out for the last few months.
I do have a freezer full of meat that we bought on sale.
When DS comes over give him a few frozen packages that I bought that were on sale 2 for 1.

Probably a poll on how many in the family would be helpful?
_______
Sueanne

Old 08-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Well once again I am going to try for 500.00. I haven't made it so far but keeping hoping to.

The price of milk here is over 5.00 without a special sale. I got it yesterday for 4.99. When I get to go to another town that has walmart I can get it for a little under or a little over 4.00. It changes from the times I get to go.

Sueanne, we have a family of four. Three adults and one teenager. My ods is at college right now and I am hoping that I can get my September bill down a little.

Everything continues to rise so much that its insane what we have to spend to just live on anymore. At least putting it on here maybe we can encourage one another and learn from each other. I hope all of you meet your challenge in September.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
Nine Year Member

I have a family of 4 plus 2 dogs, cleaning supplies and paper goods and inlaws that eat with us 4-6 times a month. Will keep my budget at $300 in September as I have a lot of meat in the freezer that will be used.

Goal $300 less $34.45 spent in August for September total left $265.55

Roberta
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I buy my milk in l/2 gallon size and pay 2.59..because I buy 2 at a time and put one in the freezer..hate running out..so that is higher than l gallon size containers..
I only include food, eating out, paper products and cleaning supplies...but list them separately....I don't include animal food or personal items in any of the catagories...everyone has different needs and this works best for me...when I buy deodorants, shampoos etc..I buy them on sale in quantiy...and in my budget they are listed as personal items....or pet supplies...I use Quicken but set up my own catagories..

I had left from last month....142.95
my budget amount is..........244.15
starting this month with......387.10
food to date....0.00
eating out to date....0.00
paper products....0.00
cleaning supplies....0.00
balance for the month is......387.10

last month was exceptional because I had a lot of pain and no appetite..that has changed and now I need to shop....

Closed Thread