Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 04:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've decides not to set a goal amount. I am going to cotiue to shop the sales and keep track. I'm hoping I can then set a realstic goal and keep it.I spent close to $40.00 at Ultra today but it included a full tank of gas for the grill. Seasonal but part of groceries.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

just got back from Wally's

I had left from last month....142.95
my budget amount is..........244.15

starting this month with......387.10
food to date....21.06
eating out to date....0.00
paper products....9.77
cleaning supplies....0.00
balance for the month is......356.27
Old 09-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Made my first September purchase today at Food city.
Food city-2.04
Goal-500.00
Left to spend-497.96
Old 09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Budget: $550
Shop Rite: 63.66
7-11 (milk, since Shop Rite didn't have any ) 4.39 (that's ONE gallon )

Left in budget: 481.95
Old 09-02-2007, 05:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi all,
I was delighted to be considerably under budget last month, but DS left to go back to school on the 18th (well, we all left to take him) and that was an expensive "eating out" and "buying gas" weekend, so I'm sure that offset any savings in the grocery budget.

Now that we're down to two in the household (DH and me), I'm thinking that I should be able to get by on $450 or so. We rarely eat out and DH takes a lunch from home every day, so it's three meals per day for both of us. Good luck everyone! It's a real challenge when I see grocery prices that seem to be a little higher each time I go.

Liz
Old 09-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Liz, they really do seem to be climbing. I want to give you a heads-up on produce. You have probably noticed it since you mentioned on one thread or other that you have been to Wegmans. I have found that their produce is fantastic! The price is the same as, or just slightly higher than, any other supermarket--but the quality is MUCH better. I figure that if I spend extra on the produce, that is canceled out by the fact that less of it winds up wasted.

I did a different kind of meal planning for this month. Over the summer I defrosted my upright freezer which is where I keep all the meat. I made a list of what was in it and have been pretty good about keeping that up to date. So I used that list to make a menu of 30 dinners (OK, 29, I put in one "eat out" ) that we can eat this month. Now, I will not go a whole month without buying meat--that would empty my freezer almost completely--but it will allow me to buy the meat as it goes on sale. So this month I will work off my menu list week by week.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Today's spending
save-a-lot-14.23
walmart-94.95
food city-12.08

Total to date-123.30
Goal-500.00
Left to spend-376.70

Barb, you have a great plan on your menus. Good job.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Barb, what a good idea. I was looking for a whole chicken & found some b/s breast from Jan of 2006. Luckily I wrap really well & the meat is fine. When I was unable to do these things myself my freezer became a nightmare. I'm waiting for a little cooler weather to reorginize it my way. I am letting my pantry run down to be sure to use all the older stuff.
I am buying for 3 adults 1 10 year old girl and 1 large dog. I count all food, cleaning supplies, paper goods & dog food. Personal items , eating out and card are from a different budget. I have been having a hard time keeping to the budget so this month I am watching myself and trying to be realistic. then i can set a good amount and try & trim it. Somehow we always seem to have a party or bbq & blow my budget

Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
Nine Year Member

I had budgeted a huge amount last month and made the totals just yesterday; what a surprise. Only ate half the budget excluding eating out but I know we didn't eat out $375 worth each month.

Both came to $375 but the August one I saved $79 by being a coupon clipper and only $44 in July by just doing store specials. I averaged 15% savings off my total bill.

For the last week in July I spent as much as the whole month of August including a party and a vacation to camp with two guests.

That's what menu planning and couponing do, give you more for much much less.

DD2 is cooking twice a week, dh twice, and me twice and once a week we eat out, so we worked up a two week meal plan and shopped together today.

budget for

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 09-03-2007, 05:38 PM
Nine Year Member

I had budgeted a huge amount last month and made the totals just yesterday; what a surprise. Only ate half the budget excluding eating out but I know we didn't eat out $375 worth each month.

Both came to $375 but the August one I saved $79 by being a coupon clipper and only $44 in July by just doing store specials. I averaged 15% savings off my total bill.

For the last week in July when I wasn't couponing or planning, I spent as much as the whole month of August including a party and a vacation to camp with two guests in August.

That's what menu planning and couponing do, give you more for much much less.

DD2 is cooking twice a week, dh twice, and me twice and once a week we eat out, so we worked up a two week meal plan and shopped together today.

Budget for September hopefully under $600.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."

Closed Thread