FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Challenge (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/)
-   -   Grocery Challenge August 2007 (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/21140-grocery-challenge-august-2007-a.html)

barbszy 08-01-2007 05:39 AM

Grocery Challenge August 2007

How did you do in July? Can you "beat your total?" Or are the higher prices starting to make the Grocery Challenge even more challenging? (I know that's the case with me!)

Join our Grocery Challenge for August as we support each other in ways to keep our food bills down and our families well-nourished :)

Lizzie-boo 08-01-2007 05:52 AM

You nailed it, Barb! I'm going to try to beat my total, but I'm noticing that higher prices are making this more challenging than I guessed.

Luckily, my freezer is now pretty well stocked with basics, so I'm going to try to restrain myself from buying anything more to put in the freezer this month and make an effort to use what I have first.

Both DH and DS will be gone for about a week (at the same time, but to different places) so I'll be on my own for that period, and I'll take that opportunity to cook some things that only I like.

Liz

cau 08-01-2007 06:18 AM

Count me in, I did terrible in July but should do better this month. With me going in for surgery dh will only buy what is on the list. I'm trying to come in between $550.and $600.00. I know it is alot but it includes all cleaninf supplies and paper goods and the dog food..I told hd that he & I are dieting so maybe that will help:sillll:

barbszy 08-01-2007 08:19 AM

There are almost 5 full weeks in August so I will budget $550. Hopefully this will also get us through the brunch for 20+ that we are hosting this Sunday!

ellenmelon 08-01-2007 08:26 AM

I am going to try for $650 which includes household supplies, etc. Whatever I buy at the grocery stores, even if its birthday cards.

mindybean 08-01-2007 10:43 AM

I'm going to shoot for $550. This will include groceries, dog & cat food, cleaning & laundry supplies, & Costco purchases...oh, I don't think this is going to be easy for me. Maybe I'll just try to stay away from the store! I'm planning a freezer cooking session this month so maybe I can find some good sales on meat so that I don't spend too much on the ingredients for the session. I have a lot of things in the freezer & the pantry that I can use for the session so maybe it won't be too bad. I know I have an almost full 6 lb bag of chicken breasts in the freezer but I'm out of ground beef after today.

Now I just have to remember to add up my receipts.

jeandeanette 08-01-2007 11:58 AM

Well I have never made my limit yet but like with dieting I just keep on trying. I will have to buy my son food to take back to college but I will set it for 500.00 again. I told my husband how much we are spending on food and he wasn't happy. I do believe the prices rising have made a big difference for us all.

jrztomato 08-01-2007 12:17 PM

Actually I did better in July than in June and ended up with a plus 19.01..so that will be added to this month's average...

total....225.14 +19.01 ..gives me 244.15 to start with
[COLOR=#000080]groceries...<15.84....today
[I][B]g..eo...

megrayau 08-01-2007 02:27 PM

Lost track of expenses during July, but I didn't spend much time at the supermarket.
I'll try harder in August.

jeandeanette 08-02-2007 11:08 AM

August 2nd
Food city-19.83
Goal-500.00
Left-480.17