Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Old 05-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

chuckle June Grocery Challenge

Just wondering if anyone wanted to challenge themselves to a certain amount to spend on food for the month of June. We could write when we buy groceries and see how close at the end of June we came to our goal. My grocery bill is just getting so out of hand. The problem is I don't know if I can lower it much or not. The prices keep going up all the time. I will be thinking about the amount I want to spend and be back to write it down. I already buy mostly generics, and try to stock up on things when they are a super price. I try to mostly buy meat on sale or from the reduced bin so I don't know if I can improve but I will try. Anyone, want to join me?
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm in!
We are a family of 5 including a teenage boy. The kids will be getting out of school soon so I expect the bill to skyrocket with everyone home all day.

My goal is to keep my food bill at $125 a week. This includes paper products, cleaning products, and birdseed.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'll come back and answer this one soon. I was thinking today that I would loike to cut down my weekly spend and I have some ideas on how to go about it. I will return!!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Although I am only a family of 1...I still need to make changes...will see if I can do better in June..
Old 05-28-2007, 03:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

One of my plans is to take my monthly salary and then split it into 4 envelopes (after the deductibles!)
Each envelope will be for one weeks food. Anything left one week will go to the next, anything left at the end of the month will go off credit card. This is the plan, I'll see how it goes!!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:41 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg that sounds like a great plan..
I just told my gdd the other day that she needs to stop spending her monthly food $ at the beginning ot the month and buying unfrugal stuff..told her to divide it by 4.3 and spend just that amt..don't touch the next weeks allowance until Sunday no matter what..soon she will see where she is overspending and not be running out of stuff before the end of the month..with 3 little ones this should help her not be out of everything at month's end..
Old 05-28-2007, 04:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

this sounds like what I really need to do. for my family of 1, I think I can get my bill down to $50 biwkly including paper products.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Meg, I do something like that already. DD's school has a "scrip" program where you buy gift certificates to the supermarket. The school keeps track of these certificate purchases. You get $4 of every $100 you spend, toward next year's school tuition.

I buy $200 in certificates every 2 weeks for my favorite market. I do about $25 a week in another market where they have better produce and meat. I save any unused parts of the certificates toward another week's shopping.

I'd really like to cut down on the bill over the summer but with the kids being home full-time, that's not realistic. (I should really add into the budget what I was spending each week on school lunches, and then cut from there!)
Old 05-28-2007, 10:04 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I'm glad you ladies want to join me in this grocery challenge in June. I hope many others will join us too. I think I will set my goal for 400. This is only for food not health and beauty aids. I would like for it to be lower than this but I need to see if I can first get it down to this much. My DS is home for the summer from college and that makes a difference too. Of course, I would gladly spend more on food if it means my oldest baby will be home. I miss him so much when he is at school. Maybe, I will have some garden food before too long to help us out a little. So 400 it is for me.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Count me in I spend way to much and I would like to get it down to 4500or 5000 a week for a family of 2