FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Grocery Challenge (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/)
-   -   June Grocery Challenge (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/grocery-challenge/20308-june-grocery-challenge.html)

jeandeanette 05-27-2007 08:02 PM

June Grocery Challenge

:sunburn: Just wondering if anyone wanted to challenge themselves to a certain amount to spend on food for the month of June. We could write when we buy groceries and see how close at the end of June we came to our goal. My grocery bill is just getting so out of hand. The problem is I don't know if I can lower it much or not. The prices keep going up all the time. I will be thinking about the amount I want to spend and be back to write it down. I already buy mostly generics, and try to stock up on things when they are a super price. I try to mostly buy meat on sale or from the reduced bin so I don't know if I can improve but I will try. Anyone, want to join me?

barbszy 05-28-2007 02:42 AM

I'm in!
We are a family of 5 including a teenage boy. The kids will be getting out of school soon so I expect the bill to skyrocket with everyone home all day.

My goal is to keep my food bill at $125 a week. This includes paper products, cleaning products, and birdseed.

megrayau 05-28-2007 02:58 AM

I'll come back and answer this one soon. I was thinking today that I would loike to cut down my weekly spend and I have some ideas on how to go about it. I will return!!

jrztomato 05-28-2007 03:10 AM

Although I am only a family of 1...I still need to make changes...will see if I can do better in June..

megrayau 05-28-2007 03:27 AM

One of my plans is to take my monthly salary and then split it into 4 envelopes (after the deductibles!)
Each envelope will be for one weeks food. Anything left one week will go to the next, anything left at the end of the month will go off credit card. This is the plan, I'll see how it goes!!

jrztomato 05-28-2007 03:41 AM

Meg that sounds like a great plan..
I just told my gdd the other day that she needs to stop spending her monthly food $ at the beginning ot the month and buying unfrugal stuff..told her to divide it by 4.3 and spend just that amt..don't touch the next weeks allowance until Sunday no matter what..soon she will see where she is overspending and not be running out of stuff before the end of the month..with 3 little ones this should help her not be out of everything at month's end..:sunnnn:

Amayesing 05-28-2007 04:18 AM

this sounds like what I really need to do. for my family of 1, I think I can get my bill down to $50 biwkly including paper products.

barbszy 05-28-2007 07:47 AM

Meg, I do something like that already. DD's school has a "scrip" program where you buy gift certificates to the supermarket. The school keeps track of these certificate purchases. You get $4 of every $100 you spend, toward next year's school tuition.

I buy $200 in certificates every 2 weeks for my favorite market. I do about $25 a week in another market where they have better produce and meat. I save any unused parts of the certificates toward another week's shopping.

I'd really like to cut down on the bill over the summer but with the kids being home full-time, that's not realistic. (I should really add into the budget what I was spending each week on school lunches, and then cut from there!)

jeandeanette 05-28-2007 10:04 AM

I'm glad you ladies want to join me in this grocery challenge in June. I hope many others will join us too. I think I will set my goal for 400. This is only for food not health and beauty aids. I would like for it to be lower than this but I need to see if I can first get it down to this much. My DS is home for the summer from college and that makes a difference too. Of course, I would gladly spend more on food if it means my oldest baby will be home. I miss him so much when he is at school. Maybe, I will have some garden food before too long to help us out a little. So 400 it is for me.

Bunny 05-28-2007 01:44 PM

Count me in I spend way to much and I would like to get it down to 4500or 5000 a week for a family of 2