Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > > >

Grocery Challenge Challenge yourself to stay within a monthly budget that you set. Share your progress with others doing the same thing.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thanks Liz, Cau and jjoj for being so nice about me going over my grocery budget. I can remember a time if I spent a 100.00 dollars for groceries that I thought I had enough food to last for a long time. Times and prices sure have changed. One of my problems is trying to please the kids so much. I buy a lot of things with them in mind. My dh and I love plain simple country cooking and we like just about everything. Pinto beans and cornbread for example is a great supper for us. I think right now I need to try to use up as much food as I can before buying more.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Jean, I agree completely. Now if you go into a store with a $50 bill or $100 bill, the clerks don't even flinch. I can remember that not so long ago, those were Huge bills and raised attention, but not so much anymore. Now, it's nearly $50 to fill my gas tank and $100 to fill DH's truck's tank. Phew!

I'm still figuring out what our food budget will be. DS is home from college, so that's an additional adult, and I was living by myself for many months while DH was here and I was getting the house ready to sell back in Wisconsin, so I have no idea what it will take to feed the three of us for three meals a day. (DH isn't here for lunch, but he packs a lunch to take to work).

I'm also restocking my pantry and freezer since I used up or gave away a lot before moving.

This week, I spent $127.46 at Giant, $77.93 at Sam's Club and $97.73 at Weis, but included in that is a lot of restocking with good sale prices and we're set for meat for some time. Yeah!

I really think there is a box somewhere here of pantry stuff that I haven't uncovered yet -- I know I had jars of spaghetti sauce that I thought made the trip, but they (and a number of other things) haven't surfaced yet. Boo!

Liz
Old 06-18-2007, 03:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Jean, I always tried to put out something my kids liked but if they didn't there is always pb&j and bread. Even now my gd is very picky and her mom my dd has always given in . I finally said this is a home not a restraurant if you eat with us eat what is on the table and we don't only eat chicken nuggets. dd's dr told her the same so things have improved and if she hates supper she can always have a bowl of cereal before bed.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

before the challenge I spent each month an average of
groceries - 167.
eating out - 38.
cleaning products - 6.
paper products -14.
total....225.14
so far this month I spent
g..162.56
eo...2.20
cp..0
pp..12.89
total..177.65
bal....47.49 with still 13 days left in the month....hopefully I can stay close to the 225.14 or better yet under it...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:19 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I did not count "eating out" in my budget. A lot of times that is beyond my control--like yesterday when DH decided he was just going to order some wings for his lunch. But we have a different budget area for meals out.

So far so good; I have 211.99 left for the month and I've done most of my shopping for this week!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Total budget: 550.00
June 1: 4.79 (4.79)
June 5: 461.44 (466.23)
June 15: 4.89 (471.12)
Left to use: 78.88

We did eat out quite a bit this week-end (in the final stages of renos and just don't have time to stop, cook, and then clean up again...alas!), but like Barb, I don't count this in my grocery bill.

I will definitely need to go buy fruit and milk in the next couple of days, hopefully I'll meet my goal!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

you that have families especially with teenage boys are doing great..as I recall mine was a " human vacumn cleaner".
I guess I include eating out because to me it is part of the groceries consumed in a month..I do not include tips..but that is the acct. in me..I post every cent I spend..right down to a postage stamp...some may include eo under entertainment, recreation or the like..
Old 06-19-2007, 09:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Sunday I spent 8.39. So I am now over by 26.09. Food city has some really good deals this week. They have several items for B1G2F so I may buy some of those tomorrow I don't know. I need to check them very carefully and see. I have a big semi-boneless ham in the oven that I bought on sale at Christmas and have had in my freezer and I'm hoping to have several meals from this one ham.

jrztomato, you really do a good job keeping track of what you spend. I think thats great and I could learn a thing or two from your good example.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM
Nine Year Member

Goal $300 for food, cleaning & paper supplies, dog food.

spent $12.04 at Aldi'sfor a few things
Total spent $144.64
Store savings $32.07
Coupons used $29.73

Balance $155.36
Roberta
Old 06-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I also don't count eating out in my grocery budget unless I take it out of the grocery money itself. I'm pretty good about not doing that.