Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Graduation Is it time for your child to leave the nest and move on to college and beyond? Or maybe they are just graduating from junior high and moving up to high school. Tell us what you think and how you are feeling.

Old 03-14-2004, 06:28 PM
Assistant Moderator

I was over at the WFD thead and someone posted a receipe for
hawai burgers and I thought of you... so you might want to check over there for that receipe.

thread is located at:
http://www.familycorner.com/forums/s...6&goto=newpost
Old 03-15-2004, 01:26 AM
BoggsZ

Hi I am also planning a luau for her 8th birthday party in april I have ordered most of her stuff from oriental already just need to figure out what games to play and food.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

Boggs some one I think on pg 2 wrote some games that you might like...

games for this one I come up empty handed... sorry. hopefully someone else can come up with ideas on games. if I do find or hear of any thing I let you know.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
COOL IDEAS FOR INVITES, GAMES, FOOD......

Hawaiian Luau

Invitations:
Graphics of palm trees, hula dancer etc.
On front~
Your invited to join "name of child" in her beautiful island hideaway for a Hawaiian Birthday Luau

Inside~
Island Location: street address
Date:
Time:
RSVP:

Find each child's Hawaiian name and print it in the invitation with the meaning. You could also have name tags with their Hawaiian name.
Try this web site for names:
Find Your Hawaiian Name

Message in a Bottle:

Empty plastic water bottles
sand
tan spray paint
small shell noodles (uncooked)
twine
corks to fit bottles
gold parchment paper (where any printer paper is sold)
mailing labels
Directions:
spray paint shell noodles (a light coat gives variation in color)
write or print message on half sheets of paper
tear edges to give worn look roll and tie with twine
put sand, noodles, and "message" in bottle
cork bottles securely
add address labels and mail
Take directly to the post office to pay postage.
Decorations:
For tables make them low using bricks and plywood. Find cushions or mats for the kids to sit on. Decorate with lots of plants and flowers. Set up tiki torches outside. Use pineapples and/or coconuts on the table. Hollow the out and fill with exotic or other flowers. Find paper palm trees and volcano to decorate tables. Draw a large palm tree on butcher paper. Or make one...get an empty carpet rolls from a furniture store. Place each roll in a bucket of sand, then add green construction paper leaves or get some large leaves from the woods. Tape or staple to top of the roll. This makes a great palm tree. Take pictures of the kids "underneath". Also get left over flowers from a flower shop to make leis. For table decorations, we put tea candles in the middle of small paper plates, and hot glued shells and flowers around the plates. For homemade coconuts, use brown lunch bags stuffed with newspaper.
Lots of Hawaiian music. Cover your front door with bulitin paper. Make construction palm trees with each guests name on them. Down the center of the door use construction paper letters to spell Aloha.

Cake and Food:
Cake: Pineapple upside down cake
Or any cake with palm trees, hula dancers on it. You can make an island cake by baking a sheet cake and one small oblong thin cake. Frost the sheet cake blue, set on the oblong cake and frost it brown and green for an island. Decorate with palm trees, etc.

Volcano Cake: Make a bundt cake. Frost like a volcano and place dry ice in the center before serving. - Tracy Miller

Serve:
Watermelon with melon balls and pineapple chunks inside.
For punch have Hawaiian Punch and Seven-Up mix, or a slushie. Serve in hollowed out pineapples (can put a plastic cup inside) for small parties or oranges for large parties, garnish with an umbrella.
Semi freeze a bowl of water. Before solid, stick in mini palm trees, hula and Hawaiian figures. Place in punch when solid for an island (by Tracy Miller).

Hawaiian Smoothie's: Gather together a lot of assorted sodas, juices, milks, fruit, and flavored yogurts, and have a smoothie making activity? Each guest can choose what they want to put in their "Hawaiian Smoothie" and take turns using the blender. Then, they can pour them into tall glasses with colorful straws*, drink parasols, wedges of fruit, etc.

Another idea is to make up a menu, in Hawaiian, of the foods you will serve. Use the Dictionary at Hisurf's Internet Island! Let the kids order everything from their silverware to food...they will have no idea what they are getting! ~Dorothy Tohill

Goodie Bag:
Grass skirts, leis, sunglasses, sunblock, etc.
To Make Grass Skirts: Purchase trash bags with drawstrings. Cut off bottom, cut slits up near drawstring.
OR purchase a green plastic table skirt at a party store...it has a built in waistline. One table skirt made 6 skirts easily for about $5. We measured my daughter's waist and cut out skirts for all the girls and cut them into strips right up to the waistline. It went pretty quick. The scissors zip through that plastic pretty quick. Then we put velcro strips at the waist to take the skirts on and off. they were a huge hit.
For the boys-straw hats.

Games and Activities:
1. Make a tiki gods out of toilet paper tubes. Let the kids decorate them with markers/stickers.

2. Make palm trees using rolled up brown paper and add leaves using green construction paper.

3. Give each guest a lei and a kiss. They also can put a flower behind their ear. Left side means married. Right side means single.

4. Coconut relay: Roll the coconut with a broom from one area to another and back.

5. Obstacle course, set up kiddy pools (hot coals), walk on a board, eat a fireball or sourball at the end (fire-eater) and other obstacles you can find. Walking across stepping stones. (shark pit) have to stay on the rocks or the sharks will get them. Lava pit- put a gray dropcloth under a swing and they have to swing over the "hot lava" and drop without touching it.
Cave - make out of a giant box and have one of the older kids act like a monster at the cave.

6. A hula contest. See who can do the best, give prizes. Maybe a prize for each participant based on a special quality they give to the dance.

7. Play a rendition of musical chairs...Musical Island, made with paper or paper plated hand decorated with fish cover with contact paper to make more durable.

8. On butcher paper, draw a tropical scene. Let the kids
color and draw themselves into the scene.

9. Limbo (or water limbo, under a stream of water from the hose). Look for other water games under the "Water Blast party"

10. Make flower leis. Cut a simple flower pattern from different colors of construction paper, tissue paper, or crepe paper. Punch a hole in the center of each flower. String the flowers onto yarn necklaces, using cut-up straws as spacers.

11. Pin the palm tree on Hawaii using a world map.

Yes, I know that there are repeats here but I just copied this instead of posting each individual activity.

What a fun party!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-16-2004, 03:06 AM
BoggsZ

ajrsmom, thank you for all the ideas.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Youre welcome!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

maybe have the centerpiece be around her daughter's achievements or growth while she was at school maybe?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Assistant Moderator

I know my son went to a private school, and each student had thier own table and they put baby pictures, awards, things like this on their table, it was each student responsible to decorate their table. and it turn out really nice.
in fact each student had thier own song, and did thier own little speech... the graduation was around year child, of course there was only about 10 that gradutated but it was so neat.
Old 03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hey everyone,

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas and suggestions.
Here's what we have so far:
> found this wonderful design and will modify it somewhat, but
basically will be an archway with the words Luau and palm
trees and flamingos before the arch. We will be making a path
using sand and lining it with luminaries to the arch. At the
arch, my niece will be handing out leis. My sister does
woodwork and is an artist so she is making all of this.
> The leis we found at oriental trading company. The girls
will get the silk flowered leis and the guys will get the plastic
leis -- we figured the girls would be more into this than the
guys would.
> We found someone to roast a pig so we are planning to have
roasted pig, coleslaw, based beans, rolls and tropical fruit tray
with dip. The guests will be greeted with a tropical type
punch until all guests arrive and the party begins. We plan
to use a child size inflatable pool to hold the ice and drinks.
> The tables will be boards (not sure whether we will use
particle boards or paneling yet) placed on bricks. The guests
will sit on the ground on grass mats.
> We plan to make an area for dancing using sand and lining the
area with luminaries. Oh and we found torches at Wal-Mart
4 feet high for only $2. We were excited about this.
> The whole area will be outlined with mini white lights and
then torches in front of the the lights.

This is what we have so far. We plan to take pictures and if anyone is interested we will be glad to share them.

AGain, thank you all for the great suggetions and help.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:37 PM
Assistant Moderator

dixieb2

Sounds WONDERFUL would love to see the pictures of it all.
and hey maybe you could get everyone to sign a book and post their comments and then make copies to give to everyone.. as a keepsake later with pictures for them as well.
I bet they would love to have that for later.

maybe even contact your newspaper and get a write up with a story about it..

Best Wishes for it all.