Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Graduation Is it time for your child to leave the nest and move on to college and beyond? Or maybe they are just graduating from junior high and moving up to high school. Tell us what you think and how you are feeling.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:57 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Graduation Party Menu

I need ideas for food for my daughters Graduation Party.

I am looking for something different. Some really easy stuff to do. I also need to keep things very frugal. We are having 50 people maybe a few more.

Give me all your ideas ladies.

Charlotte
Old 05-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Meatball subs were always a big hit at graduations.

If you don't want to do hot foods, how about different meats and cheeses for sandwiches and then salads...potato, macaroni, pasta, fruit salad..then some easy desserts? Is this too casual?

You could always do baked ziti and salad with rolls and butter. Then serve simple desserts like brownies, puddings, cookies, cake or cupcakes. If you want to add another pasta choice, I would go with an alfredo sauce, too.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

What I did was made little graduation caps. Bake the graduates favorite cupcakes. Turn the cupcakes upside down . then icing the sides and a little on top. On top place a chocolate or white cover graham cracker. For the tassel - pipe a line along on side and for the end of the tassel pipe a few lines close together and on end where the multi lines starts pipe another small line where multi lines connect.Then place a mini M&M on top where the tassel starts.

This really is easier than the way i explained it.

How about making ham salad finger sandwiches.

Do you want a brunch style or a full dinner. Are you going to full sit down dinner or picnic style.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 AM

what about scalloped potatoes?
1 10 lb bag of potatoes, can peel if desired, sliced thinly
3-4 large onions peeled and sliced thinly
flour
stick of butter
1 qt milk
salt and pepper

in a large roasting pan layer potatoes, onion salt & pepper. Make a roux from the butter and flour, add milk, then pour over the potatoes. Cover and bake for at least one hour at 350*. You may need more than one qt of milk and one stick of butter.
For a variation, cut up one lb of bacon and put in between layers of potatoes and onions.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Walking Tacos or Taco in a Bag is something differnet that I have had at graduation. It is simple to make. You need the small snack size bags of Dorito chips, Hamburger browned and seasoned with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, shredded cheddar cheese, taco sauce. Cut the bags of Doritos open along the long side seam of the bag and crush slightly. Add one scoop of meat, lettuce and cheese to the bag and add a plastic fork. I usually leave taco sauce out to be add if the person desires. It really doesn't take that much meat, cheese or lettuce to make the Walking Tacos. You might be able to buy the chips at a discount store like Sam's Club or Cosco.
I have also been to several graduations lately that have served cookies instead of the traditional cake. Since we had several graduation parties to attend it was a nice change.

Last edited by Joy; 05-29-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 AM

Another version of the walking taco would be to make the ground meat and seasoning and place in a crock pot to keep warm. Along side this have fritos or tortilla chips, shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes sliced black olives, sour cream and taco sauce. Serve in small bowls.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am going to do picnic style. We will have people coming and going all day. So I will have the food set up in the house with the a/c on. That way I won't have to worry about the heat.

We have a pool, firepit, volleyball net, horseshoe pits and other things for the kids and adults.

Dh said his friend volunteered to do all the cooking on the grill for us. That way we can socialize and not have to worry about the grill.

I like the idea of baked ziti, meatballs, walking taco.

Sense it is DD #1's party she wants to choose all the food. But mom has a say in it no matter what. I have to make it, clean it up and buy it.

I want to make the cap cupcakes they sound cool.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Charlotte
Old 06-15-2009, 03:58 AM
6 yr member
FamilyCorner Addict

Ok I have my menu all planned out. Now we have to make all the food. I have several family members that are making stuff. Which will help alot. Thanks for the ideas.

We are having hamburger, hotdogs, chicken all on the grill. A friend volunteered to man the grill for dh and I.

The items people are bring will be deviled eggs, fruit and vegetable tray, shrimp platter. Also finger food.

I need to make potato, macroni and pasta salad. I will make the chocolate cupcakes with the graduation caps on top.

We ordered a cake. The kids want items for somores when we have the bonfire later that night. I will also make sure I have extra hotdogs they can roast also.

Charlotte
Old 06-15-2009, 05:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Charlotte--It sounds like you are going to have a great party.
Congratulations to your Dd.
I have to plan my last Dd's graduation next year.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
It's great that someone has volunteered to grill the meats for you so that you are free to visit with everyone!

Enjoy the party!!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!