Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Graduation Is it time for your child to leave the nest and move on to college and beyond? Or maybe they are just graduating from junior high and moving up to high school. Tell us what you think and how you are feeling.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Nine Year Member

I think a potluck party would be nice. We did that last year for the junior prom. I provided place setting, drinks, etc and the rest was brought.

Chances are his friends will be graduating with him too and it is sort of a celebration for them also. Maybe a gift exchange would be a nice way to handle that part of it also with small gag gifts for his birthday?

I am always surprised at how high school kids like to sit around a table and just talk. I don't think they get to do it enough and yet it is a familiar atmosphere for them because of lunch tables at school.

A few decorations to make it special, the usual, twinkle lights-crepe paper-balloons. They will think up stuff to do on their own.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-14-2007, 08:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I can't believe my 20th high school reunion is next year. Where did the time go?!?

ej2mom, when I graduated, my parents had an open house. They laid out some snacks and moved the stereo into another room with chairs and such. It really was nice to just "hang out" and talk and munch. The other nice thing is that if you do an open house and leave it kind of generic, both the kids and the adults can come by and not feel out of place.

One further suggestion, make sure your son writes thank-you notes for any gifts he receives, especially from the adults. I cannot tell you how impressed adults are when they get thank-you notes from kids that age, especially in these times! That will be extra bonus points for your boy- they'll all think he's SO thoughtful.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Nine Year Member

Well, graduation is upon us this year. Since we have so many kids in our neighborhood who are graduating, five of us moms are having an indoor/outdoor bbq/picnic. We have a church adjacent in our backyards that has a kitchen and tables inside to eat at. So we will serve the food there, and parking is there.

We will buy the meat, some pulled pork, and each make some side dishes and then one of the gals can get a 10% discount on the stuff we have to buy like plates, soda, etc and we will all split the bill. I made up a flyer to handout so we can get a headcount. We are thinking about 100 (20 each).

Just sitting and being together is good. We'll have volleyball, and photos and the girls are making a home movie conglomeration of all their years in the 'hood.' LOL! It's sort of open house style because so many of the kids have so many grad parties to go to that day. From 4 to 10 will give others time to drop in and visit and still get around to other places in town.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 05-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I am having my son write his thank you cards as the cards come in our home...that way nothing gets missed in the process.

This is an exciting time and a stressful time for graduates.

Is your graduate under stress?

Hugs, Janet
Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Why not have a pizza bar and a juice and/or soft drink bar? That way, they can all bake their own pizzas after they assemble them. They can mix and match various soft drinks, juices, and cherries for their own special drinks. You could purchase some plain tumblers and some paint for them to decorate their drinking glasses. It would be a way for them to take home a souvenir from the party. It would also keep them busy for a good portion of the time. Congrats to all the graduates!
Old 05-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Assistant Moderator

My dd is graduating college this weekend. Because many family members live too far away to attend, after the ceremony we are taking her out to dinner at a nice restaurant. It is more low key than the cookout we had for her high school graduation as fewer family members can attend and the weather is supposed to be rainy.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa
Old 05-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Sammi, congrats to your DD!
Old 06-23-2007, 12:16 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

We held our DD's graduation party last weekend. When she sent out graduation invitations, we included a party invite and a note mentioning that people's love & support were the only gifts necessary. As cards arrived, she marked the amount received on the back & wrote thank you notes.

We had Kroger's put her favorite senior picture on a sheet cake. We grilled 50 pounds of pork tenderloin, 40 pounds of BBQ chicken, baked macaroni & cheese, green beans with ham & cream potatoes, ham dumplings (pot pie depending on where you're from), fruit salad, & Cole slaw. We also had big tubs of various beverages on ice. We put the meat in foil lined coolers to keep it all hot, plus we wrapped each chicken quarter in foil, too. So all of the cooking was finished early & we had time to relax and enjoy the evening.

We decorated the yard with small Christmas lights and tiki torches. We didn't want the bright spot lights on & this provided just the right lighting. We had tables set up in the garage, and in the back yard along with the picnic table. I bought extra chairs at Wal-Mart for less than $5 each.

I made a PowerPoint with pix of her, friends, family, activities, sports, etc. I had Green Day's "Time of Your Life" looped to play with the slide show. It was very impressive & caused many tears among the guests. She had 65 guests.

Her dad sent her on a scavenger hunt with clues all over the back yard and with special family members & her boyfriend. The final clue led back to him & instructed her to go to the "man who loves her the most", where he presented her with her own pot of gold...500 gold dollars!

I took almost 300 pix during graduation & the party and afterward I made these into a 20 page book using an online service. What a great remembrance of such a special time!

This would work for any warm weather party & was a lot of fun for everyone. Planning ahead, very detailed, made all the difference.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Wow! What a party! I bet your DD appreciates you and your creativity!
Old 03-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Assistant Moderator

Shershe, that sounds like an amazing party and because of the picture book your dd has a wonderful keepsake to remember the special event by.

[CENTER]~Mother Theresa