Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Graduation Is it time for your child to leave the nest and move on to college and beyond? Or maybe they are just graduating from junior high and moving up to high school. Tell us what you think and how you are feeling.

Old 05-09-2002, 04:27 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Any Graduations ????

Is anyone having a Graduation Party? If so, what are you doing to make the day special.

Do you need any Graduation ideas? If so, please ask.

Old 05-09-2002, 07:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shawn,

You timed this just perfectly. Two of my cousins are graduating from high school and their parties are both in the same weekend (June 8th and 9th). I wanted to try to figure out some sort of gifts, but have no idea. I don't want to sound cheap, but I didn't want to give money because I figured I could get a nice gift instead and spend a little less. Two graduation parties in one weekend....ouch

So, they are both boys.....one will be leaving for the Army in August and the other will be going away to college.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jenn
Old 05-09-2002, 08:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Let me first ask, how much would you like to spend?

Depending on your answer, how about something engraved? Maybe a pen and pencil set for the college bound boy, or even a nice keychain. I am not sure about the one for the army

If you do want to go the engraved route, please let me know and I can give you a site that have very nive stuff for decent prices. (I actually used them before and was happy)
Old 05-09-2002, 08:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

At first I planned to have a party with family and friends. We have 2 other grads besides dd in the family. As I started putting this together I realized the cost and the fact that I was not hearing from the other parents... They all thought it was a great idea and offered to bring a dish. Decor and main meal though was mine to do.....Then the functions started. We attended 3 banquets last week and have 3 more next week and then graduation. I started wondering why I was spending all this time and $$$$ on the entire family, when it was dd that deserve it! I canceled the party. Felt alittle guilty and alot of relief! Yesterday, I set up dining room table as alittle celebration. It includes Squiggy decorations picked up at the salvage store, a couple of stuffed animals in cap and gowns, also salvage store items. Prom pic, senior pic in 3 different poses. Award plaques. The table cloth is a 4th of July number. The flag represents freedom! and little stars bursting...I have small frame pics of her friends, grad cards. A few little surprises....I hope to continue to decorate. So, if you have any frugal ideas let me know The money I save is going into an envelope for her to spend in anyway she pleases. Hoping it will go towards fall wardrobe for college. picked up at outlet malls in Branson MO. I also have a Taz flag that says "lets party" flying underneath our american flag. Will order small cake with her grad. pics of her and b/f. I still feel alittle guilty party. It dawned on me though, I am always the one that pays for it and I am a single parent!
Old 05-09-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Shawn,

I would love for you to give me the site for the engraved gifts. I was thinking something along the same lines for the college bound cousin.

Your post reminded me to look for some ideas on my own. I actually already found a gift for my other cousin. I found a personalized Armed Forces photo frame. It has the Army seal at the top and two American flags on each side, and his last name will be at the bottom. I figure it will be nice for him to display his first photos in uniform.

I'll take that web address if you have it handy.

Thanks,
Jenn
Old 05-09-2002, 08:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

The site is: http://www.thingsremembered.com

They also have several stores in Maryland. YOu can find a store near you Here
Old 05-14-2002, 02:23 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

2 new college grads.....

We have 2 new college grads and we are going to have a party to celebrate in 2-3 weeks time. It depends on when ds can get off work for the weekend again. We're going to have a come and go hamburger cook-out for friends and family. We'll have homemade ice cream and will most likely be out doors near the pool. Dh has been working on the yard to get it all beautified and I'm doing a couple of things in the house. It's going to be a great day.
Old 05-14-2002, 06:36 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I've used Things Remembered here in Roanoke. They had a store in the mall and now they have a free standing booth instead ...in the same mall. They do a great job. I bought my mom something there and if I remember correctly my dear ex and I had a silver platter engraved there for his parent's 40th anniversary. Very pleased.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:01 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

graduation

My son is graduating in June, we will be having a party but just something small like finger sandwiches and potato salad and chips and a cake. I was originally thinking of a bbq but realized all the work it entails and realized I am not up to it due to a recent surgery. Also for kids going away to college or the armed forces calling cards would be a great gift I think or putting together a shower bag with nice towels and good sandals with a basket and some shampoo and soap.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:23 AM
Nine Year Member

My son is graduating tomorrow at 6:00 pm and since it is late evening, I planned an outdoors party from 12-2 on Sunday instead of after Graduation.

We are doing the Hotdog, Hamburger and B-Q Pork sandwiches thing. I will have Potatoe Salad, Chips and dip, Apple and Orange slices, Carrot and Celery sticks, Oatmeal cookies, watermelon and yes, Cake - White and Chocolate. Also punch, Ice tea and lemonade. Seems like alot; But already have about 40 people coming. And will have more who didn't RSVP. But, this is the last of my 5 kids to graduate from High School.

Good luck to all you graduate parents!!!!!!

Vicky