Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Gift Giving Ideas Need an idea for a teacher, coach, or special friend? Ask here!

Old 08-14-2002, 12:03 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quillows

It's a PILLOW, It's a QUILT !!!!!

http://www.blaze.net.au/~fthorne/craft/quillow.html
Attached Images

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE
Old 08-22-2002, 05:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky Quillows

Quillows are fun to make! I've been making them for several yrs now as graduation presents. Every quillow has been different. And some of my boos boos have been great creations!

I usually use the "sets" that Wal-mart has. You usually have a choice of 2 fabrics for the background, and a pillow panel. I then use a plain fabric to attach the pillow to.

One time I boo boo'd and didn't get enough material to go around the pillow. And when I went back to get some more it was all gone. But I did find a nice panel and so started my new way of doing quillows!

One side of this blanket is all Dolphins and Whales. The other side has the pillow and panel on it.

Kathy
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2002, 07:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

My friend Cheryl made me a quillow that I take with me on all my traintrips!

It's soft and flannel and I love it!
peace, train
Old 08-23-2002, 07:13 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've been wanting to start making some quillows and have one or maybe two questions. When you attach the pillow, does the right sides go together? Also how do you finish the edges of the pillow? Just one more question, how can ruffles be attached to the pillow without me pulling my hair out? I do know how to sew and quilt but for some reason putting a quillow together confuses me.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky re: questions about pillow

Hi!

I make the pillow the same way I make the blanket with right sides together. I sew all sides but try to remember to leave room to turn pillow/blanket right side out. Then I pin the hole closed and stitch it shut. Then attach pillow to blanket by pinning and then sewing.

To add a ruffle, I think you would pin the ruffle between the right sides of the pillow material. Then sew as usual (don't forget to leave room for turning right side out). Or you could maybe sew the ruffle to one pillow side and then sew both sides right sides together.

I hope this helps. I haven't used ruffles yet.

Kathy
Old 08-23-2002, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi!

I make the pillow the same way I make the blanket with right sides together. I sew all sides but try to remember to leave room to turn pillow/blanket right side out. Then I pin the hole closed and stitch it shut. Then attach pillow to blanket by pinning and then sewing.

To add a ruffle, I think you would pin the ruffle between the right sides of the pillow material. Then sew as usual (don't forget to leave room for turning right side out). Or you could maybe sew the ruffle to one pillow side and then sew both sides right sides together.

I hope this helps. I haven't used ruffles yet.

Kathy
Old 08-23-2002, 04:27 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for your help. I've been wanting to make one with the dolphins and had better get the panels before Walmart stops selling them. Plan on using solid broadcloth for the quilt part. So, when you are sewing the dolphin panel to the quilt, does the dolphin panel face down to the quilt or does it face up? I plan on using a dolphin panel on one side of the pillow and a solid panel on the other side. If that makes any sense. Also, when the panel is attached to the quilt is the opening to fold the quillow up at the top of the quilt or is it left open towards the other end of the quillow. I think that I'm going to have to make a doll size one to get this made right. I know that's it not all that hard to make, I'm just making it harder than it really is. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2002, 04:30 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thank you for your help. I asked another question on the other quillow thread. Until I get this figured out I won't try adding any ruffles. I've made several pillows with ruffles so it should be pretty easy. It's just I'm not sure which way to lay the panels to attach them. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky re: dolphin quillow

Hi!

The pillow panels are pinned right side together (top is same for front and back) and I start sewing at the top, sew all around and leave an opening at the top big enough to turn right side out.

I've seen other quillows that have the pillow right side up & attached at the bottom of the blanket. But I like to make mine with the pillow right side up attached to the top. I usually use batting in between the pillow panels and it makes the pillow thick if you want to lay on it. (See Dolphin/Whale picture).

1/2 yd pillow panel = (1 dolphin & 1 whale pillow panels)

Severl yrs ago a friend sent me 3 sets of instructions and I tried to take the best of all of them. And still make boo boos that seem to work out!

I've even made some quillows for kids using the "I SPY" material (1 yd) and then adding a pillow to the back of the finished blanket. It was a big hit with my friend's dd since once it was folded into a pillow there was still a little room for her stuffed animal!

I've also made a lap quillow for a lady in a nursing home using 1 yd material and a pretty pillow panel. Every one in the nursing home liked it.

If this still doesn't make sense LOL you can always email me at

[email protected]

Kathy
Old 08-23-2002, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi!

I think I just understood your pillow question! LOL

When the blanket is a pillow and the front of the pillow is the dolphin pillow panel. You must attach the pillow to the blanket with the dolphin panel side down facing the blanket. The top of the pillow is at the top of the blanket.

I hope this helps!

Kathy

P.S. The following picture is the Dolphin/Whale quillow folded into the pillow.
Attached Images