Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Gift Giving Ideas Need an idea for a teacher, coach, or special friend? Ask here!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Is anyone starting on Christmas Gifts Yet for 2010?

I've been gathering small things like lotions, deoderants, things I find on sale to make up personal gift baskets this Christmas. Has anyone else started their Christmas shopping yet? Can you tell it's my favorite holiday.

Anna
Old 05-07-2010, 03:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Does thinking about starting count?
Old 05-07-2010, 09:32 AM

Kathy

I say "yes" gotta start somewhere, right LOL!

Anna
Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I bought some scarfs that were on sale and a couple of candle holders. I have to be careful and really think about it though because sometimes I end up changing my mind when Christmas actually comes around.
Old 05-11-2010, 02:32 AM

Apricot

I understand about that too... but they also make nice gifts for birthdays, pick me up for someone whose having a bad day or week, that sort of thing. And the scarfs are especially nice if you have someone you have to ship things to, should be pretty cheap shipping cost as those are so light weight. A pretty pin to go along with it makes it extra special. I remember many years ago, one of my friends got me a scarf and a nice gold pin (not real gold) that went beautifully with the coat I had at the time, just fit the scarf under the collar add the pin to the lapel and a very nice ensemble.

Anna
Old 05-11-2010, 03:20 AM
Nine Year Member

I've been picking up things that I see on sale that would make good gifts but not necessarily with anyone in mind for the gift.

I've started looking at the $1 coupons for those that don't exclude trial sizes to pick up for pennies to use as fillers in gifts and if I'm able to get a lot will donate some to the military boxes church is sending quarterly to the 8 personal that have a connection with our church members. Recently I was able to get 6 Mentose gum for the tax and passed them along.

Roberta
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, Your friend must have known your taste well if she picked a scarf and pin to match your coat. I like the idea of pins to match so will watch for those to go on sale or clearance.

Roberta, I have to keep somebody or groups in mind when I buy "future" gifts, otherwise I end up with things in my stash that I never get around to giving. About three years ago I bought several small boxes of costume jewelry of necklaces and earrings at an after Christmas clearance sale and only gave two of them away as gifts. After three years I finally ended up donating the others to an auction that raises money to make "Prayer Shawls" for people who are terminally ill so they did end up going to a good cause.

Last edited by apricot; 05-11-2010 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:06 AM

Apricot

Not too hard as I had a black wool type coat so she got a scarf made with a gold pattern and the pin was just a loopy looking piece of solid gold (not real though). So if you know someone who has a dressier type coat that they wear to church or to the office and you find a pin with say red rhinestones in it, look for a red scarf in a shiny fabric to match. Could be alot of fun.

This is the kind I had at that time.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Sh...i_sku=12318350

Not that brand but looked exactly like those.

Anna
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Anna, Those are very nice coats. I do have one friend who likes scarfs and hats and another who likes to shop at Macy's and does have a dark coat.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Assistant Moderator

Less and less spent on gifts given as kids get older, we don't give to that many others.
No thoughts on any gifts as yet.