Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Gift Giving Ideas Need an idea for a teacher, coach, or special friend? Ask here!

Old 07-02-2002, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Need ideas...

My dd has a friend who lost her mother less than a year ago. Her birthday was last month - she turned 11 - and she had no birthday party, and had only a few presents... So, I'm thinking of inviting her 3 best friends, as well as dd ( and, off course, ds...) and surprise her with a little "party" more like a snack with friends, with a birthday cake saying "Happy birthday Daniela". I'm also going to ask her friens to bring a small present, like from the dollar store ( here we call it 300 store ), and we'll all have a good time.

Any ideas? I live in a small appartement.

Please do pop in and contribute with your 50 cents

Thanks,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 07-08-2002, 08:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Fatima,

I am sorry to say that I could not come up with any extra ideas or suggestions for you.

However, I wanted to tell you that I think that you are one special lady!

When I read what you are doing, it brought tears to my eyes and put a lump in my throat.

Daniela is certainly a special little girl to have you and your family in her life during this especially difficult time!

I truly believe God will bless you for your actions on behalf of this little girl!

Cindy
Old 07-08-2002, 09:32 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Old Fashioned tea Party???

Hi

That is so wonderful of you !!! I don't know if this would work but what about setting up a really nice blanket on the floor in the living room (carpet picnic) and having the girls bring their best "party" dress and have an old fashioned tea party with tea, cookies, finger food, that sort of thing?? I am hoping to do this for my dd b/day when she gets a little older. That way it is not really a "birthday" party so to speak. What do you think?

Blessings
Trish
Old 07-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

birthday girl ideas

Hey
Good for you. I dont know what things are around you but some ideas are :

a pkg of t-shirts to paint with the girls since it's a small group

I recently found a pkg at pic n sav now Big Lots of 10 rubber stamps to put paint on and stamp on whatever shirt/pillowcase the girls can make matching shirts

find some flat rocks and paint them: lady bugs etc

beads make jewerly

I did this with a girl down the street (her mom wouldnt let her have friends over and she baby sat our dogs when wed go out of town and one day I saw her sitting on a rock in her yard bored to tears, so I went and talked to her mom and asked if she could come over for a few minutes. We had a blast. The girl is now in the Air force and a mom of her own and still talks about the fun we had (when her mom was too busy for her )
Old 07-09-2002, 09:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Wow! What a woman you are. I don't know how crafty you are, but how about a firendship lap quilt? A lot of fabric stores can direct you to a person who could advise you, and considering the situation probably for free. I have a computer and scan photos into it and print them out on special fabric that goes through the printer. OR you can go to kinkos with your photos and tell them what you want. Have the girls sign the quilt block with permanant ink pens, designs, or what ever. and put it together for them to present to her at her party. My daughter loves her lap quilt, she's 8.

But all the other ideas were terrific. I always have some type of craft at my daughters parties. I did a table decoration using a broken tree branch, sprayed pink, I set the branch into a small coffee can and set it with quick plaster of paris and hung tiny china tea cups and teapots all over with ribbon. I epoxied the cups to the saucers; you can even dangle tiny spoons from ribbon. I tied small "double bows". I then hot glued them on the branches toward the center and small blossems( like apple blossems, etc.) on the ends of the branches. Paint the can to deco or use a circle of fabrit and tie a bow around. IT was a hit at the party. She might like that for her room, also.

Sorry to go on and on.

Good luck. She is blessed to have people like you in her life.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I'm kinda short of time right now, but cant help taking a moment to THANK YOU ALL for your fan-tas-tic ideas. I'm considering the t-shirt painting and the jewlery making. LOOOOOved the friendship quilt idea, but I'm not a easy sewer, and it would take me a lot of time to do it, and I'm not even considering teaching the girls to do it ...a day deffinittly wouldnt be enough...
But I guess I'm beggining to think about it to dd and ds. I can put a picture of our marriage,of the big belly, of the echographic exam, of them as babies, etc. I think that is deffinitly a great idea!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say THANK YOU !!

to you all,

Fatima

fatima

"Stones in my path, I pick them all up: one day, I'm going to build a castle!" - Fernando Pessoa, (portuguese poet)
Old 07-10-2002, 09:58 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

You're so sweet to be doing this!

When I was that age, my friends and I loved giving each other "make-overs." Especially without a mom, she might appreciate the "girly" influence. Dollar stores have those washable little-girl-make-up-stuff, and you can make homemade facial masks, nail painting, whatever. My friends and I wound up looking RI-DIC-U-LOUS but we had a blast and still have amazing pictures to laugh at!
Old 07-10-2002, 03:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Un- birthday?

Since her Birthday as you mentioned was amonth ago how about an "Un birthday party" like alice in wonderland? you could still have the tea party, like the movie and maybe even watch alice in wonderland? Beaded bracelets are fun and then the girls have something nice to take home with them. You could decorate cookies to go with the tea.
another idea is get some foam sheets from the craft store and cut frames out of them, have the\m decorate them with foam shapes, scraps of ribbons, beads left over from the jewlery and then take a snapshot of each guest. you could put magnets on the back so they can hang them up at home.
you are really nice to do this for the little girl! have fun