Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 09-19-2002, 04:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Work at home jobs??

Hi everyone. Does anyone know of any work at home jobs that aren't a scam?? My husband says that they are all a scam but I seem to think that there has to be something I can do on my extra time to make some extra money without working outside the home. I already work 20 hours a week as a hairstylist and can't work anymore hours there because the clientelle isn't there and plus I don't have a babysitter for daughter for more than the hours I work. So I thought maybe I could do one of those computer jobs, transcriptionist or whatever and make some extra money that way. I'm in to crafts but don't have the money to put into a lot of inventory to make things and go to craft shows. And I'm not into doing party jobs, Pampered chef, Longeberger....etc. So I don't know if there is anything out there or not. If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate them greatly.

Stacy
Old 09-21-2002, 06:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi! You mentioned transcriptionist, my sister used to transcribe for doctors in her area, she would pick up the tapes, take them home, type them and then return! Also, you may contact some of the larger independent insurance agents in your area....some of them have ways to work at home to order "loss runs" or do mail etc. It depends on your area. I was in the office yesterday, and saw a lady with a baby, I got talking to her, and found out she does that for us! I didn't even know!!! Also, you said you don't do the party things, what about Axxx......no this is not a plug, I used to do it, but what I was thinking is, you throw books, and no partys! If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
Old 09-21-2002, 08:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

work at home

i too would like some ideas i work 40 hours fulltime am single have a large yard and gardens to upkeep plus housework so another job isnt a good idea i do lots of crafts but havent found away to sell them any ides besides craft fairs i also tried ebay thats too confusing and cant afoord it!!thanks for any help
Old 09-21-2002, 09:15 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sorry ebay didn't work out for you because that is exactly what I suggest! It's cheap to list and you can sell most anything there! I am starting to haunt clearance sales, yard sales, etc for items to list. I have read about (and personally know people) who have made lots of money selling items on ebay. You can sell a lot to make big bucks or you can sell a little to help supplement. You must be organized and efficient or you will flop fast due to negative feedback. Just stay on your toes and be ready to ship as soon as payment is received and above all BE HONEST in describing the item up for sale. If it has a stain then describe it. Sell only gently used clothes. No one wants to pay s&h for an item that should have gone into the rag bag. I have made many purchases on ebay myself and have yet to be stung. (DH was once among many others and the postal inspector got involved).
Selling on ebay means you never leave home except to go to the post office or to shop for more items to sell. I will buy clothes of all sizes from baby to adult and men and womens. It's actually kind of fun to sell and LOTS of fun to buy. Just take a look at the wind chimes hanging on my front porch, all but one from ebay!

Good luck!

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 09-21-2002, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ebay....

Hi NagyMom. I have thought about selling things on Ebay because between me and my husband we both are always buying things on Ebay. But I don't know how to get started. And how much does it cost to start doing that? Is it easy to put things on auction? We don't have a digital camera but are thinking about getting one for Christmas, but we do have a scanner. I think I could do that but I just don't know how to get started. I guess I better just get off my lazy butt and check into it further. I'm a very organized person so I think I could handle that part of it. I just didn't know about getting Paypal set up and all that. What's involved with that?

Anyway. Thanks for the advice. I will take that into consideration. I just need something right now to supplement what I already do. So I could just start out small and work up from there.

Stacy
Old 09-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pictures aren't absolutely necessary I suppose but personally I won't bid if I can't see a picture of it.

It's not terribly expensive to list items but I'm not current on it so you'd need to check the site. As for PayPal I heard recently that Ebay is buying that and f so GOOD. I hate PayPal. They make it so hard to change a password. if you forget it they (used to anyway) require you to change it by mail! Many sllers will only accept MO's and checks so it isn't even necessary to use them. There are also other payment sites so check them all out. I think you'll have fun once started. You're familiar with the buying end so this should be easy for you.

Good luck!

Old 09-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I personally, love to cook. For awhile I did some cooking services for some working neighbor-moms while I stayed home. I prepped a work-week's worth of dinners for them and charged $50 for the"chef" service plus the cost of groceries. They provided the caserole dishes, and I provided the grocery recipts. Everyone's ingredients were rung up seperately, to be sure I got reimbursed fairly.

While I was cooking for them, I was also cooking for my own family. I'd just double, or tripple, or quadruple the recipie, depending on how many families I was preparing for.

This is really easy when you are doing sauces and caseroles or baking chicken or turkey breasts etc.

It was easy money for me, and economical for the moms. It cost them only $10 per each night of the work week. and it was an easy $100-150 for me, just to shop and cook some extra.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:05 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

work at home

i couldnt figure out how to get started!!!where to place my stuff i have craft items to sell.it was confusing to me because you had to pay like 9.95 a month for a estore but it dint put you in search engines etc. to post auctions i couldnt figure out because i have several differnet items and styles of each id appreciat any tips!!!i read and read and spent days reserching it and was still confused i have a scanner a camera etc i registered adn all that but i jus t couldnt figure out where to post or how spent days reading links and still nothing!!
Old 09-21-2002, 11:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

sugar_n_spice, go to www.ebay.com and click on selling tips. They offer a new service now too that allows you to HIRE someone to list for you. They are experienced ebay-ers who can walk you through it and list for you. Of course that route will cost you extra. It isn't difficult to list but you do have to be a registered user of ebay. Registration is free. If you still need help, click on help and see what you can find there. I know it can be daunting at first so if you know anyone who uses ebay even to buy, maybe they can help you through it.

Jayne

Old 09-21-2002, 11:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Please avoid the work-at-home ads in the magazines. They are all scams - your husband is right! I found this out the hard way.

I am starting to put some stuff on ebay too. I'll see how it goes.

At one time I got some business REALLY easy. I did a simple flyer for typing services and hung it up at the local college. It got work so easily from it. It brought in some extra dollars. You gotta be willing to allow people come to your home to explain what they need done, and also they'll want corrections. But it's some fast and pretty easy money (although not big money). My friend did this full time. Not a glamorous job, but she DID get to stay home and work.

My husband cooks for local events and fairs, and is a vendor at those. It brings some money sometimes, and we lose some sometimes.

Don't forget to pick up Entrepreneur magazine every month. You don't have to buy it just sit down at the bookstore and go through it with a pen and pad and jot down the ideas from the articles (NOT the advertisements!). There is at least one article every month that has an excellent idea -- and many times multiple articles that has great ideas. At the least these articles will inspire you to do something you'll be excited to do.